60th Call of the Silver Hand - Six years of Silver Hand congregations

To all Knights of the Silver Hand. A meeting of the Order has been called on evening of Sunday the 2nd of May in the Hall of Arms at Northshire Abbey. We ask you bring information of your activities to further our orders knowledge and understanding of worldly matters.

Event Details

Where — Hall of Arms at Northshire Abbey
When — 20.00 Sunday the 2nd of May. 19.00 gathering time.

IC Agenda

• 19.00 - Drinks and conversation

• 20.00 - Opening Speech and Prayer
    A quick summary from Morvuk Anvilfist about the topics to be discussed at the meeting, a recap of the days agenda as well as information regarding the charitable gathering.

• 20.05 – Reports from the units.
    Report from Sir Thalory Arkensheild; Lord Paladin of the Swords of Retribution
    Report from Sir Archable Jenkins; Lord Paladin of the Hand of Reckoning
    Reports from the assembly.

• 20.30 - Short break
    A time to just grab a cuppa tea and have a quick piddle.

• 20.35 – A continuation of reports.

• 21.00 - Prayers and Recess
    The formalities of the meeting come a close. You may retire to the outside to discuss the reports, engage in training with your fellow knights, or perhaps slink off to Lion’s Pride Inn for a bender or… other… activities?

• Post gathering discussions.
    An opportunity for you to corner the evening’s speakers and have a few words with them about what they have said, or simply mingle and discuss with your fellow attendees.

Join this Alliance Community to get the calendar invite!
https://www.worldofwarcraft.com/invite/PpYDpmcjd2?region=EU&faction=Alliance

Format

The Silver Hand is presented as a very ceremonial faction in the early litterature and even as we progress into legion and beyond we see that ceremony and process is important to the faction. I would like to see this represented in these call meetings.

The meeting takes place on the top floor of the hall of arms in Northshire Abbey. The speakers will - as usual - stand on the turn in the stairs to adress the chamber from below.

To represent this ceremonial order and hierarchy I would like for;
squires and recruits to stand against the banister closest to the top of the stairs,
unit leaders (such as Lord Paladins) to stand against the banister farthest from the top of the stairs,
Inducted Silver Hand Paladins to stand on the side of the room to the right of the leaders.
Non-Silver Hand clergy, civilians or other groups (E.g. Argent Crusade) to stand to the left side of the room.

There will be markers to help with this on the day. My hope is that this segregation will create an atmosphere of reverence and encourage characters to strive to achieve higher ranks and have that be recognised as they move across the room.
(Ofcourse it could be a disaster but hey, lets give it a go.)

6 years of Call of the Silver Hand, here’s to another six.

Most importantly for me, this meeting marks the start of the 7th year of these call of the silver hand meetings that I started on Galdrick back in April of 2015. It has been amazing to see this community grow and develop.

There has been greatness, and there has been set backs. There has been drama, and there has been great shows of friendship.

When we look back on this time, it seems only right that I should recognise some of the great guilds and people who have put their time and effort into keeping this community thriving for more than half a decade.

My thanks goes out to all the members, current and former, of the “Call of the Silver Hand” now the “Hand of Reckoning”. This guild was spawned out of the amazing success of the first meeting and has driven me consitently to provide more and more to the community.

It would be wrong of me to not mention some of the old guilds from when these meetings began. The “Silver Aegis” run by Lorthentus Theodor was instrumental in helping feel out the exact position of these meetings in the community and how much they should prescribe roleplay verses how much they should facilitate role play. Thank you to everyone involved there.

More recently the “Sons of Silver” led by Dervial Oakley have stepped up to help direct the community and continue to feel out and evolve the structure of these meetings. Despite disagreements that have occured, the influence of Dervial on the current state of the community cannot be understated. Thank you for your support, especially in the time of my haiatus.

Two guilds that are not dedicated to the Silver Hand specifically, but have always delivered a good number of paladins to our meetings include the “Order of Eastwald” and the “Crowsgarde” whose paladins were led by Berethen Greatmaw and Jessica Williams. These groups have really spread the influence of the Silver Hand and really represented what it means for the Silver Hand to exist in groups around the Alliance. More than once I have had help from these guilds because of the bonds of fellowship forged by these meetings. Thank you for the support you have shown this community, I hope that we can return in kind.

Though my interactions with these guilds have been far fewer, they both have provided RP for the Silver Hand paladins and the other players on the Server that cannot be ignored. I’d like to extend my thanks to the “Knights of the Hand” and the “Swords of Retribution” for exploring what it means to be a Knight of the Silver Hand, both in the grand heroic fantasys of the Sword of Retribution, and the lower fantasy training of paladins in the Knights of the Hand. Thank you both.

Doubtless, there are some that I will have forgotten here. My time away from the community in the last three years has been great, yet never the less is has persisted in my absence which I find greatly gratifying.

Thank you to all of you.

10 Likes

Well for the 60th ill be there again.

1 Like

This sounds very tempting!

2 Likes

It’s been a while! I’ll try to be there to angrily karate chop the banister now and then and all the rest :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Where do Argents who are Silver Hand knights stand?
That isn’t a joke question.
Also, 60? Power!

1 Like

If they are Silver Hand, they are welcome.

1 Like

If you are both we’ll ask you to stand with the Silver Hand.

1 Like

I shall strive to attend on my paladins.

1 Like

Is that even a thing? A Knight of the Silver Hand who serves the Alliance, and a Knight of a neutral organisation? Genuine question, too

1 Like

The Argent Dawn and some of the Silver Hand joined together to form the Crusade, so arguably yes.

I’m still confused about Legion. “Okay so we have the Alliance Silver Hand, but now every paladin in the world is also Silver Hand.”

Legion ends : “Okay, show’s over folks, back to ye olde factions you go.”

Muscular to be honest. :muscle:

2 Likes

Pretty much a merger of convenience for the crisis really. After Legion and the subsequent burning of Tedrassil, faction lines were redrawn.

You can look at it as those that did not wish to go back to the Horde specifically joined the Argent Crusade as the Silver Hand reverted back to being an Alliance only organisation.

I will wear my SH tabard and whisper “hail kaelthas” into ortellus’ ear

Good luck with the meeting though :pray:

2 Likes

The Argent Crusade was the union of the Argent Dawn (Tirion fanbois formed by knights of the silver hand) and the Silver Hand after Tirion was encouraged by the PC to reform the silver hand.

As for whether the the silver hand is alliance or not, I think (personally) the silver hand transcends the faction divide. Its recognition from something divine and a dedication to a cause of protecting the innocent and destroying evil.

My personal feeling is that the silver hand is split into psuedo-factions, there are the hard line alliance or nothing guys who didn’t get the chance to go scarlet. There are the “we’re alliance but can go neutral as the greater good demands” guys who I think the player character is meant to represent, then there are the “neutral or nothing” knights who stuck with the Argent Crusade.

I think its wrong to treat the Silver Hand as a homogeneous entity when its allegiance has changed so frequently and dramatically.

3 Likes

See that buddies of the Ebon Blade ? They’ll all be in Northsire, perfect time to go and raid Light’s Hope for that decrepit Fordring body :potable_water:

1 Like

This is from the old Alliance Players Guide so take it with a grain of salt, but it does make it sound like joining the previous Argent Dawn, also neutral, didn’t imply dropping aside membership of the Church, the Knights of the Silver Hand or the Kirin Tor.

“Younger members of the Church and the Knights of the Silver Hand find the youthful Argent Dawn appealing, since the organization seems to be less burdened by older (and perhaps outdated) traditions.”

“Apart from the Knights, Argent Dawn membership also numbers some former (and current) members of the [Kirin Tor]. Since their home city of [Dalaran] was hit by the Scourge, many of the Kirin Tor wish to strike back. Both groups also find common ground in their interest in magical research.”

As for the Silver Hand serving the Alliance I’d argue it’s mainly headcannon based on what little evidence we have in game. One which I agree with, mind you, but we don’t have any hard lore to support that as an actual statement by Blizzard or a storyline about it. Only trainers calling you a knight of the Silver Hand and a few banners displayed by Alliance Paladins (which can also be interpreted as simply honoring the order by those who remember it and carrying on it’s legacy). All we do know for sure is the Order is still active and kicking as a separate entity at Light’s Hope Chapel and the Alonsus Chapel in Stratholme according to Exploring Azeroth.

1 Like

Arathi Warfront.

1 Like

Members of the Cenarion Circle and Earthen Ring appear in invasions for Alliance and Horde respectively.
I’d take it with a pinch of salt.

1 Like

Which one ? Because there are three warfronts so I’m still curious which one is canon.

On the same warfront but with Trollbane in charge we have scarlet banners of Lordaeron. Does that mean the Scarlet Crusade joined the Alliance ?

Yes, I do get your point. Silver Hand banners are displayed there alongside Alliance Paladins, but that’s pretty much circumstantial evidence, don’t you think ? My point being we lack any explicit statement of the Silver Hand’s status and what we have is left up to player interpretation. It could be that Turalyon rallied the Silver Hand. It could also be an old man chose to display the banners of the order he helped found. We don’t know for a fact unless Blizzard actually states it through quest text, interviews or anything of the sort.

And as Ranko pointed out, others appear too. Doesn’t mean their order halls rejoined the old factions, only that some members have done so. Lilian Voss and Tess Greymane work for both the Uncrowned and their respective factions during BfA. The trainers in SW display kirin tor flags for mages, cenarion flags for druids, black harvest for warlocks. Does that mean those organizations are now Alliance ? No, it’s just the most iconic image for the class.

I’ll conceit this, however: what little evidence we do have, circumstantial or not, implies the SH is part of the Alliance now. I’m merely arguing for taking it with a grain of salt due to it doing precisely that, implying, and nothing else. Hopefully Blizzard will sort this out eventually. Perhaps without another neutral rendition of the Order as every other paladin race has its own order quite well defined in game, it’s the Silver Hand that keeps being thrown around despite its inherent value for human and dwarf paladins.