I was wondering whether or not there are any rules regarding what national language to speak in public chats in-game. I know there are designated servers for English/German/French/Russian languages, but does this mean that is the only language that is accepted in public chat? That is, are people right to report others for consistently speaking another language in public chat?
I have not been able to find any information regarding this, and there are a lot of heated arguments on this topic on the Classic Forum.
Thanks in advance!
EDIT: Fyi I can’t comment on the post for some reason. I agree with what you guys are writing.
^This. If I recall correctly there was even a blue post on it some years ago which was along the lines of “The language of the server is encouraged, but by no means a requirement, it is however the language support is provided in”.
Also want to add, that sometimes other language realms are sharded with “english” realms. For example in Dragonblight/Ghostlands we can see people from Italian pve server all the time, so while we share same trade chat some of us are playing on “english” realm and some on “italian” realm. Would be problematic to demand one language in that situation, when everyone is talking language of their own realm.
I have never seen a language requirement in local chat or in any of the chat channels. A guild of course may have a language requirement. I know that on my horde alt, the guild I am in requires english for guild chat and our discord chat.
The Russian, Spanish, Italian [puzzling in the first place] and Portuguese [it’s actually Brazilian Portuguese] servers got connected to the English realms because they couldn’t support their own ‘language region’.
You wont find German or French realms unless they have grouped with players.
Yeah this is what i understood too. I was just trying to make point, that someone might be thinking “hey that player is talking other language on english server” while they are just sharded together (because of this connection) and are actually playing on their own server.
Indeed the language of a realm is more of a guideline than a rule, although you may feel more comfortable playing in one you’re able to communicate with other players.
As for the support language used, this actually follows your communication preferences from the Account Management page, regardless of your realm.
There has always been this “unwritten rule” that a guild ad was okay in native tongue, but otherwise you speak english in global channels, and keep your own language in /w’s.
I don’t know if I ever found it odd, lol I just adapted to that mindset
I play on a French server, with english Client. All the processes and the help windows were in English, and now you’re telling me i’ve wrote reports and request in English but they were received by the French support team ?
Could be useful to add a notice about what language the support team receiving the report speaks. Or there’s already one and i’ve been an idiot for over ten years.
Don’t over do it, but even in SW or Borlaus you now get sharded (due to low number of players) with people otuside your own server or cluster. Last nigth we had reports (of rares) in 5 lanquages: German, Italian, Russian, French and English. ALL AT THE SAME TIME!
Runetotem is also known as half-Dutch and half-English server. Never be suprised you will sometimes witness short converstaions or jokes in /1 or /2 in Dutch. Nobody has a problem with it unless it just keeps going on and on. Especially Belgium and Dutch players takes jabs at each other with inside jokes, in Dutch.
don’t worry you can’t read chat anyway, 15k people will be spamming trade and LFG chat. because Layering and mega servers are true classic experience =)