8.3 Memory leaks

Still a thing on modern updated hardware. Fix your game. Friends are still holding off from playing until fixed.

Cannot we provide you with more info about the problem then our os and specs to help you troubleshoot it. In this state I can´t raid or run m+ without getting my teammates screwed. With the trafic this topic has you have a good sample of players experiencing this problem, if we can do more to help solve this any faster tell us please. This silence is almost as annoying as the problem itself.

I said mostly and in new BfA areas i alternate between 45-60fps. I turn down settings for battlegrounds and raids to 6-7.
Glad you have more time to flame me instead of Blizzard. Guess you don’t want to anger them.

1 Like

Im not flaming you, but you are setting totally unrealistic expectations of achievable FPS for people with a setup close to yours.

1 Like

i just want to bump this thread and explain my situation.
i have BRAND new i3 9700, a BRAND new motherboard, BRAND new 16gb ram (its fast idk exactly dont @ me) , 960 2gb 3 yo graphics card and wow installed on a brand new ssd. i have had an unimaginable amount of crashes with this new patch, half my addons are dead and im just lost. i have applied every possible fix and im at the end of my wits.
crashes explanation: i get all sort of crashes but the most common one is “access violation” on a completel up to date windows 10 OS.
the crashes happen when i a) open my character sheet after a while or even at the start of the game. b) open transmogrification c) inspecting people d)opening the lfg tool.
i have tried these fixes, and if you get the same problems i hope they do it for you cause they sure as funnel cake didnt do the trick for me:
1)direct x11 legacy, not even worth, problem still here
2)reinstalling: nope
3)repairing: nope
4)clearing all addons, trying new ones, playing without any: nope
5) running everything a administrator : nope
6) trying to think positively and praying to jesus: nope
7) banging my head on the keyboard: nope
8) restarting everything: nope
9) opening up only wow: nope
10) updating drivers: huge nope and a big drag
11)rerolling to outlaw rogue: nope
12) killing nzoth: hopefully soon, maybe he is corrupting my system
i still humor this issue as it very rarely happens in raids or m+ but for the love of god blizzard, please fix this. oh btw i have only encountered these issues AFTER 8.3 and i have all my new parts since christmas, everything worked beautifully in azshara and season 3.

2 Likes

It was not my intention to make it look that way. FPS depends on camera angles and environment you are in. I’d never expect WoW to run in battleground or a raid on full 60fps even with a 1070. Most of my gameplay I have done from and up to bfa zones was 60 fps, aside from WoD in Shadowmoon valley which really tanks it down 30 sometimes.

WoW isn’t that much beefy game as much as devs aren’t optimizing it and should be run by a toaster at this point. Sometimes when I run classic on 4k with full blown MSAA on at 60fps and look at retail @1080p wonder what the hell are they doing with settings that often are not even noticeable.

Anyway ofc it doesn’t run constantly at 60fps. But I won’t say its a crappy performance. I cba to record it but it’s mostly between 45-60fps even in BfA.

The hardware is not an issue for most users. And tech support likes to put a fault on it.

WoWs greatest problem is old as fossil engine and dev management that focuses on dropping beta tests as finished product. After all, why optimize anything when you can just dump 1000 eur for a new gpu.

What are you, europoor?

1 Like

What’s that? :grin:

That is because classic looks like a N64 game compared to Legion and BfA.
They upgraded the engine a lot since 2005.
You have to be real about that, for a 15 year old game it looks pretty decent.
The problem is that it comes at a big cost, because like you said, WoW at it’s core is still a heavily singlethreaded game.
It does not use 4, 6 or even 8+ threads like modern game engines.
That is why the CPU is always bottlenecking in raids etc.

Hello Blizzard, any UPDATE? It’s been weeks, christ.

Are we going to do anything about it? Since patch 8.3 hit I am having these freezes, sometimes during important moments like raids and bgs, so.

Blizzard will have until the upcomming patch fix reset in a few days to correct this problem. They’ve had atleast 2 weeks time to correct this huge error in my opinion. They’ve gotten all the information from users that they’ve asked for, with all their dxdiag files, and respones to what I honestly feel are some of the stupidest questions they could ever ask - such as “what monitor are you using”. I might not be the best at computer stuff in the world, but how the monitor you are using can suddenly effect a massive game such as WOW is beyond me. I mean I can plug in an old CRT-Monitor, my Flatscreen tv, or some high end computer screen - there should not be freezes in the game where the graphic card quite litterally pops up with a message in the corner saying that it has encountered an “error” and has reset it self which results in the game freezing for 10-15 seconds (which is awesome in raids btw — not)
Therefore I will be cancelling my subscription to any and all blizzard products , if the problem is not fixed in the upcomming reset, until such a time that I can read on the forums that this issue has been fixed and no other stupid things have occured since then. And yes - I am also waiting for the fix to the classic warcraft 3 f*** up where this is no longer playable after they “introduced” reforged as a forced update to people who have not even paid for the damn game.
So @blizzard, please get your stuff back in working order or I am afraid your stock options might just take another dumpster dive in the foreseeable future.
Have a good day everyone :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Same here, I won’t be resubbing nor preordering Shadowlands until the issue is fixed.

Hey all,

I know things have been quiet from our side around this for a while, but that doesn’t mean we aren’t hearing your reports and passing on the info you’re sharing.

Unfortunately this is something that’s still being investigated, so we don’t have anything extra to share right now outside of potentially dropping your graphics settings for now, as that does seem to be helping some people.

We really appreciate your patience while it’s being investigated.

2 Likes

You know what really would help all those people that can’t play but have paid for subscription? The promise that once this is fixed there will be C O M P E N S A T I O N!!!

12 Likes

Then I am just wasting my time trying to play the game. I’ll come back when this is finally fixed, once and for all.

1 Like

Same happening to me but it started at december. Before that the game was running pretty smooth at 6-7(depends on raid or m+) mostly solid fps without drops, no freeze or stutter whatsoever. I’ve been chatting with a support about it, and they had no clue either. Even tried with my older PC parts, and it was still occuring. The most annoying part is that, it doesnt require (to me) any heavy load, like it can happen after porting/pulling in m+/starting boss fight, loading into arena, or… after I afk 10 min at AH, or when im flying to a WQ or daily somewhere, the fps drops down to 40( Its mostly 60+ at bossfights in settings-6) and the game freezes for 5-10 sec, and the fps goes down to 1. And all my hardware usage is peaking this time at 30-40%. While the game is frozen, i can tab out and play other games gladly without any perfomance issue so its not even something like I need to load a massive ammount of texture and stuffs. Funny enough, it can really mess up or even deplete keys at high level, when im getting a “proc” and sitting 10 second wasting the BL without doing any damage or helping the tank kite the adds. The support already checked my msinfo/dxdiag and I gave him a pretty long troubleshooting i’ve done and even he said, that it has nothing to do with my hardware. (no ssd tho, but after seeing that some of u have the exact same problem with it, i dont think it has anything to do with that besides a bit faster loading screen, and thats it.)

1 Like

Switching to DX11 legacy fixed it for me, but obviously it’s not a long term solution also in terms of frame loss.

I solved mine by changing System --> Advanced --> Graphic card to Main Graphic card(nvidia). I think it fails to choose the better one when it’s needed…

Tried it, still got the Freeze here.

2 Likes

Not good enough. Not even close to being good enough. Last update from you guys was weeks ago, and we have been left here feeling forgotten about until you then post basically the same update we got back then, that you guys are “looking into it”

These performance issues have out right cost me any chance of playing competitively or keeping up with my friends. I’m stuck using direct X 11 legacy which for some reason in dungeons makes my frame rate so choppy and so random. Before 8.3 the game ran absolutely perfectly for me. This whole situation is infuriating and personally I feel very much forgotten about and let down by Blizz on this.

3 Likes

Just out of curiosity - why don’t you (blizzard) just switch out the PTR files with the active game files ? - I have been playing PTR for the majority of the evening as a test, and not ONCE did i encounter memory leaks, graphic card resets, lag, freezes or anything else in that matter, and ALL settings are exactly as i usually play with (max) - and before you start talking about addons, I’ve already tried to remove every single addon from the wow folders so that is NOT the issue.
You can pay me with ingame gold if you prefer, for helping you fix this massive issue with such a relatively simple fix

5 Likes