8.3 Memory leaks

I dont get a black screen. I just get a hard freeze for about 5+ seconds. What I want to add tho is that it seems to happen after e certain amount of loadingscreens. Like, when you’ve ran through enough portals and such. A memory leak of some kind for sure. I remember us having a similar issue early on in BFA aswell. Everyone would restart their game after 2-3 mythic dungeons just to make sure. Back then it was just a pure fps loss over time however.

My specs are i7 6700K @4.6Ghz with a gtx 1080Ti

update: I just started up the game after servers went down for a while. I jumped through a portal back to Dazar’alor and the freeze happend. Just a minute or so after starting the game. Maybe something was saved in ram from previous sessions but this makes me feel like its related to asset loading of some sort. I might be completely off here but just trying relay information.

update: There is a lot of talk about OS version. I’ve tried it on 1803, 1809, 1903 and 1909. It happens on all of them. Just happend again after exiting Atal’Dazar out to the world. The game freezes and it seems like the entire enviroment has to “Load” in again or something. What could you have possibly needed to change in the patch to make this happen?

3 Likes

i’m getting these freezes, switched to direct X legacy and it’s fixed most of the freezes, but put me at a much lower frame rate than before 8.3
not seeing any sign of blizzard offering a solution other than lower graphics, but it is clearly a memory leak from most other peoples posts and I hope they are working on a solution, because it’s left the game almost unplayable for me at the moment! :frowning: :pensive:

2 Likes

Yeah I tried the DX switch but the performance wasn’t up to snuff. I hope they fix this ASAP because my m+ 10 was a performance nightmare running at ~12 FPS. NO ONE should have to deal with that.

3 Likes

Same problem here, random freezing for several seconds, “not enough memory” crashes, black screens that in my case force me to shut down the PC. I’ve tried updating the graphic driver, removing all add-ons, lowering the graphics. The only (I hope temporal) solution has been to change to “DirectX 11 Legacy” but the performance is noticeable lower. The OS is Windows 10 (1903).

I am having the same issues since after the patch. I really tried already everything besides re-installing the game or my Windows 10 version 1903.
I even doubled my RAM from 8 to 16 GB.
Before that it ran very good without these problems but only 8 GB Ram.
WoW is literaly eating up the RAM and even the Pagefile. The RAM of 16 GB is getting filled up completely and my SSD is going from 11 GB freespace to 245 mb till the game is crashing the entire PC ofcourse since no memory at all is free.

3 Likes

Same here and i failed 2 times on horrific vission becouse of that thing. Now my cloak rank 3 its really annoying. I will try the dx 11 legacy today.

4 Likes

Hey,
i have same problem with freezing… i am user for Macbook pro 2019 touchbar… macos Catalina. This is big problem beacause Blizard write on website some requirement… and now? when i play after 15 min my pc shut down… whats wrong? i think i have storn pc… and in our side isnt problem… please fix this problem

1 Like

how?:smiley: i have macbookpro 2019 touchbar… i have problem with freezes. i have 8GB memory.

1 Like

Myself Win8.1, not affected
My gf Win10, affected

It does seem that yesterday’s evening patch (8.3.0.33073) has fixed the issue, as I have not encountered any freezes through 2 hour gameplay!

EDIT: Scratch that. Just got to Stormwind to have this reappear :frowning:

I don’t know! Maybe it is related to add-on issue?

I use less than 5 add-ons with WoW.

Same here, regadless of which addons i disable or not, or which Dx i choose the game will be freeze and i will received GPU warning from Nvidia that the driver stop working :frowning:.
Win10 Pro x64/Version 1511 with Gtx1060 3GB.

i havent addons… someone tell me, should change display settings. I have macbook pro 2019 (13) (2560 x 1600) resolution. i changed in wow this resolution and 100% scale, it seems good, play 1 hour without freez.

1 Like

I am also experiencing this after last nights patch/hotfix. It’s incredibly unplayable and considering how good my specs are completely unacceptable.

I have the memory leak issue but also a GPU issue. My GPU is generally sitting at 50% in wow and it will spike up to 100%, completely locking up and then stabilize after 3-5 seconds.

Fix it.

This is not on my end, for the doubters:
3dmark . com/3dm/43074908?
3dmark . com/3dm/43074322?

I have tried DX11, DX11 Legacy and DX12. I have reinstalled WoW and also reinstalled my gpu drivers. I’ve tried without addons as well.
Lowering graphic settings helped a bit but the freezes still occur.

3 Likes

Mate it has todo with Nvida chip Graphic Cards and direct X. Its not that hard to figure that out, dont let us do all your job. At least answer some stuff seriously….

Still no answers from blizz on this?

Changing to DX11 legacy has stopped the freezes but i’m running mythic plus with 20 - 30 fps regardless of what my graphics settings are where as before I would always be over 60. It makes it incredibly uncomfortable to play.

Just popping in to let you know that we’re still looking in this.

There are a few theories as to what is actually causing this (one involved particular OS versions, hence asking for that earlier) and it is actually quite possible that there may be more than one factor that plays a role - or that there are multiple different issues that just happen to look very similar in terms of symptoms.

We’ll let y’all know once we have a clear answer - until then, please do hang in there, and let us know of anything that stands out in the way this happens.

2 Likes

Playing on Windows 8.1.

For me it seems to be connected to the game loading the environment/assets. Like if I’m flying somewhere and at some point the game is trying to load the buildings, trees, etc. WoW freezes for about 5 seconds, both my screens go black for a split second (sometimes multiple times, as in blinking), then it goes back to normal and suddenly all the things it was trying to load pop up really quickly.

An example is me flying around Dazar’alor. If I’m at The Great Seal and want to fly down to the Grand Bazaar (or vice versa), it freezes.

EDIT: Just had my first crash while this was happening. No error message, the game just shut down completely.

EDIT 2: Just now I was flying around Dazar’alor and it froze again, and I got an error about something with the memory. I tried to Print Screen it, but my whole computer actually froze, then WoW crashed completely and I got a “critical error” message. I couldn’t click on anything or even Ctrl+Alt+Delete, so I actually had to shut off my computer.

EDIT 3: The issue was not fixed for me after the “emergency maintenance”. I decided to try switching to DirectX 11 Legacy and it seems to work for now. Only a temporary fix, though. And like others have reported it comes with a FPS drop.

Hopefully this issue gets resolved soon, as the game is pretty much unplayable now.

4 Likes

What i’ve noticed, is that after the mini patch from yesterday , the random 1-5sec freezes stopped.
But for some reason, opening my gear/char window “C” m still makes the game freeze or minimize itself to windows taskbar.
Maybe it’s smth wrong with the new corrupted gear ?

Anyway, that’s only happening when im running DX11/12 .
When going for DX11 legacy, everything is fine for now, but slow AF, cuz of the fps drop

2 Likes

Do you have a Nvidia Graphic Card?