A question about stats and how they are formulated

Hi All
I am a fellow mage who has been playing for quite a while but never figured out what those stats mean. I mean when I hover over the mastery for example it says mastery 939 (plus 8.61 percentage) I come across such an info when hovering over my mastery for the survival hunter. I want to up my game and become a mythic raider therefore knowing and understanding what those mean are crucial in my opinion. Back to before mentioned example does 939 is the mastery that I get for percentage minus 8.61 ? I mean does 8.61 of total 22 percent mastery is the base I get then 939 is the equivalent of 14 percent? in short what does 939 mastery mean out of 22 percent mastery? it is not the total mastery I assume it is the one after the base but just want to be sure. It is a noob question but I would like it explained as detailed as possible. I mean how to read the stats how much haste and mastery does give me how much et cetera? for the purpose of building a nice character. Thank you all. Hope it is clear

You don’t need to worry about secondary stat ratings, only the final % that you see in your character sheet. There is no added value in knowing the calculation between rating and %.
As for the mastry, each specialization has different baseline and that what you would get if you had equipped 0 mastery rating.

Mastery works slightly different to other stats in the game because it’s different for every spec. The game has an under the hood value called mastery points that gets converted into your mastery % based on spec.

Everyone has 8% mastery points baseline, you can work out the conversion rate by looking at each spec’s base mastery. For example as a Shadow Priest my base mastery is 4%, meaning every mastery point is 0.5%. Your total mastery % is this base amount plus whatever you’ve got from stats. For this character that’s 22.39% 4% base + 18.39% from stats.

You don’t really need to know this, but it is the explanation for the discrepancy in mastery %s between specs. As the above poster said just focus on the actual stat numbers not the %s, and if you’re trying to optimise your gear for high end content you’re best off using raidbots to sim your gear.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.