[A-RP] Amirdrassil - New Home, New Hope šŸŒ³

Yes, both Darnassian and Gilnean refugees left Stormwind in 10.2, itā€™s already live.

4 Likes

I was poking fun at the city elf RPers.

Whatā€™s your definition of a city elf?

Itā€™s typically a derogatory term used for night elf roleplayers who roleplay in Stormwind City and donā€™t play their characters like archetypal night elves.

Iā€™m not sure if they still exist in significant numbers, ever since the advent of high elf customisation options for void elves that allow people to play very ā€œtraditionalā€ elves and not have to worry about the weirdness of night elves any more.

1 Like

I know. What I want to know is whether Crazymon considers it a bad thing, and if yes, why.

1 Like

If theyā€™d like to elaborate on the matter, the discussion about that might best be moved to Pet peeves: The return (Part 5) thank you!

Iā€™m sure thereā€™ll be something fun for the night elf allies to participate in!

7 Likes

Glad the Stormwind squatting can finally come to a conclusion (yeah, I know about Hyjal). Love this initiative and am super interested. Will totally throw a character at this that lives there.

2 Likes

Ah, true peace. No naga.

Now we must destroy all firearmsā€¦

2 Likes

No, itā€™s a derogatory term for nelf RPers who roleplay their characters as belonging to an urban setting of 2023 Earth while still somehow persisting in Azeroth.

Because it annoys me when I see people using 2023 IRL lingo IC. Things like ā€˜letā€™s go home and chillā€™ or ā€˜do you want this spliffā€™ or ā€˜druid conā€™ or so many other examples.

Too shallow? Letā€™s dive, baby.

Literally muh immershun. I think that certain aesthetic barriers exist in fiction (RP included) and that breaching those barriers, while not impossible, demands finesse. There are also rules for breaching these barriers. Imagine a movie set in teh_ancienttimes.exe like the Roman empire. Imagine Hollywood makes a show about this time period and they decide to make it in English instead of Latin because Latin is obviously a dead language and the nuances of speaking it properly - such things as dialects and accents - while speculated upon or roughly estimated, are lost to the times. The ancient times. So what accent shall we use for our antiquity drama?

Australian? Either too wild or too ghetto or too undignified.

American? Too uncivilised. The Romans were civilised, right?

Scottish? lol

Irish? We are not in Ireland.

Vague northern English like Sheffield or something? Maybe, to denote that a character is poor or from a poor background or possibly uncultured.

Liverpool? We are not in Liverpool.

I could go on. There is such a thing as the collective subconscious and just as we hold our own individual aesthetics so does it hold one. When it is rather abruptly and without consideration breached, this triggers the muh_immershun.exe and Crazymon gets invariably upset.

So what has been going on lately in our lovely world of AD Azeroth is that weā€™ve apparently decided to do away with the strict and terribly toxic norms of the past, like the one where if a person plays a dragon they are probably bad. Or, more interestingly, if a person plays A CHARACTER LITERALLY RELATED TO A BIG LORE FIGURE THEY ARE MOST CERTAINLY BAD AND SHOULD BE TOLD OFF OR AVOIDED LIKE THE PLAGUE AND NOW THERE IS ONE IN STORMWIND PLAYING NOZDORMUā€™S SON AND NO ONE IS SAYING ANYTHING WHY IS NO ONE SAYING ANYTHING AND WHY DOES EVERYONE KEEP INTERACTING WITH IT AND PRETENDING LIKE THERES NOTHING WEIRD ABOUT IT?

Anger. Anger. Hatred. Frustration.

How about another oldie weā€™ve set aside and tucked under the carpet? IC is IC and OOC is OOC and your character probably shouldnā€™t be a version of your RL self but with superpowers. Literally every criminal RPer, literally 90% of nerth RPers, literally most of Stormwind except for those Murloc RPers who run around selling clams, theyā€™re awesome.

So yeah, Lintian, thatā€™s why it bothers me. Because weā€™re entering this you donā€™t pay my sub reality where everyone can just do whatever they want without any communal rules or regulations, which ends up turning into a thousand little bubbles with their own accepted norms and customs not unlike whatā€™s going on in FF. And may the good Lord help you if you ever try bursting that bubble.

So yeah, Lintian, it bothers me because itā€™s not what I want. Itā€™s not the World of Warcraft anymore, where I could literally travel across the continent and find people in random hubs or events or campaigns out in the world just RPing their characters. Nothing is connected anymore, and what connections remain are looser than this goth dude I hooked up with Saturday night.

If you can do anything, nothing matters. There needs to be a line that runs through all the scattered bits of whatever, connecting them, keeping them in check, preventing them from falling apart and wilting away like fallen leaves so I guess a stem is what Iā€™m looking for here thereyougothankyouverymuch.

Godspeed.

12 Likes

I have to agree with Crazymon on this one.

But also going back to the topic at hand -

This is a lovely idea, Acrona. There is a huge interest for this, both from me and Iā€™m sure- the rest of nelf rpers. Excited :heart:

6 Likes

Considering the track record of Andrassil in the Grizzly Hills and Shaladrassil in Valā€™sharah, expect Renā€™dorei inspectors dropping by without notice to make sure everything is up to code. That means NO secret Highborne gateway, NO snoozing Satyr between the roots, NO wreathing tentacles and eyes in main chambers and NO tax evasion.

Love the idea though! I hope the new tree will give the Kaldorei community a place to connect.

5 Likes

Iā€™ll reply in more detail in the pet peeve thread to not derail this one, but the short version is: yes, I agree.

1 Like

New PTR information on the new settlement, with NPCs added!

Edit, adding this:

12 Likes

Very exciting!!

My one small worry regarding the event is the timeframe - when the patch goes live, Iā€™d imagine a lot of heavy traffic surrounding the area (and since itā€™s at the Encampment anyway of the current zone, thereā€™s already heavy traffic given thereā€™s current day content surrounding it). Obviously that might pose problems for RPing, as youā€™ll have players flitting from point A to B to do their daily PvE tasks and whatnot.

Do you plan on holding the event closer to the launch of 10.2.5, or maybe some weeks afterwards where hopefully the traffic would be a little lighter?

Anyway, since thereā€™s also a secluded location for all the ā€˜outcastā€™ types of Night Elf RPers, Iā€™d imagine they could have a small spotlight in the event too. Death Knights, Dark Rangers, Warlocks etcetera - they can sort of contribute to building their own corner too. Could also pose a fun little rivalry during the event, maybe?

4 Likes

Itā€™s beautiful :sob:

6 Likes

Thank you for the thoughtful inquiries Nera!

Iā€™ve seen some guesses that 10.2.5 could potentially be released in early or mid January. I havenā€™t yet planned how soon to host something when the patch goes live, but Iā€™d like to give people a bit of time to surge through the latest content (Gilneas storyline, Azerothian Archives, AI dungeons etc), and you may be right Amirdrassil will be high traffic in the first week of release. Despite it being called the new night elf capital, I wonder if phasing will be applied because itā€™s a new content zone? If thereā€™ll be phasing, weā€™d have to set up the activities so that we can manage them with raid groups.

Iā€™d happily hear thoughts from the community as to when would be most convenient to host public roleplay events there.

Twilight Watchtower:

Itā€™s an interesting idea! Iā€™d love to first see all the NPC dialogues in Amirdrassil to inspire the event activities, and to make sure that we get the nuance of them to feel accurate to the night elvesā€™ new home.

15 Likes

Just brainstorming, but what if we do this event before 10.2.5 is released? Or do it in two phases?

Going by past content, I expect Amirdrassil to just appear in the main world for everyone once the last LFR wing unlocks on December 13. The Belā€™ameth we see in 10.2.5 isnā€™t going to be built in a day, so what if we do a pre-event about aiding construction efforts, cleaning up the island, repairing damage inflicted by the Primalists, etc. ā€” basically roleplay the work needed to bring the island to the state seen in 10.2.5?

Then some time after the patch hits, and after the wave of players doing content dwindles down, we could do the finishing touches and the celebration.

We could also use War Mode for part of the event, as Iā€™d expect main world Amirdrassil in War Mode to be mostly left alone by players doing content.

1 Like

The second this gets out youā€™re all getting griefed.

5 Likes

People have tried in the past, doesnā€™t matter how good you are, how geared, you cannot win against 20 people as a group of less than like 7, and thatā€™s IF the zone isnā€™t enforced neautral to prevent fighting.

I remember a small group of less than socially adjusted people trying to grief an RP-PvP event but got their butts clapped HARD by RPers every time.

They were geared offrealm PvPers too.

1 Like