[A-RP] <Freemen>

The Freemen

https://the-free-men.com/
www.argentarchives.org/node/229028?

Setting

The Freemen is a guild based on the concept of a traveling caravan-inspired troupe and focuses on the more mundane aspects of World of Warcraft. They are not heroes out to save the world, but rather misfits and strangers joined together by chance. Here character development is key to a good story and depending on the choices made through RP, the Freemen’s path might lead into more uncharted territory.

As a guild we strive for realistic roleplay; armour and clothes are plain, money can be tight and food can be sparse. In the same category factors such as cold weather, long days and constant fighting may affect your character, and we take time to play out these consequences in social roleplay.

Long-lasting storytelling events are run as over-arching chains along with the small jobs, to help engage the members in the roleplay and can be very impactful on the lives of our characters.While we do partake in global events such as RP-PVP, The Freemen will only rarely venture beyond what the average adventurer of Azeroth might experience. They are common folk, and so deal with common if harsh realities such as local conflicts, preying bandits, the roaming undead and of course, the constant and very real consequences of war.

Roles

In the troupe, every member has to pull their weight and help out; be it as a fighter, cook, hunter or medic. The troupe has no real leader, but is made up of roles filled by the players, such as storekeeper, leader of the sentries, head cook etc, with each their own portion of authority depending on the interactions.

Because of the wide variety, the Freemen are made up of two base ranks; Civilians and the Convoy:

• Civilian
    A civilian may be a talented singer, a cook or a merchant roaming with the Freemen. They earn money in what ways they can, and keep some for themselves, though as with bounties, a small share goes to the troupe.

• Convoy
    The Convoy are the muscles of the troupe, working bounties or other jobs fit for their skill that they may find. Like a civilian, they get their own share of the profits and a percentage goes to shared finances.

Because of this rather broad distinction, ingame class doesn’t really matter in regards to rank. A civilian can easily choose to take up arms just as a member of the convoy can choose to help around the camp - otherwise they just earn coin in the way they know best.

The troupe provides all what people need to survive; food, general living supplies, a safe place to sleep. Part of the money goes to buying provisions or equipment. Another part goes to the weekly wages, flowing back to each member of the troupe, be it civilian or mercenary. This because sometimes, times are tough. Sometimes the troupe gets caught up in other business or someone falls wounded and cannot work for a while. The wage provides an income for those that cannot contribute, or to ensure a temporal income for the members until the troupe can settle somewhere again where there is work. In a way, the wage also rewards people for filing certain roles.

Will my character fit the Freemen?

The Freemen strive to be a close-knit community, with focus on quality RP and character-development. Therefore we put great value in interesting character concepts and of course, an amiable OOC scene.

There are no clear restrictions when it comes to class and race for your character, but there are obviously some concepts that will fit better than others. To ensure this and stay true to the tone and theme of our concept, we will judge each character individually to see if they fit within the guild. As a thumb rule it’s good to remember that the Freemen are down in the dirt, the lowest of low. Every character (from disgraced Dalaran Mage to Old Town Beggar) has a reason for being down in the dirt with them. This does not mean you have to be a lowlife to join, but under normal circumstances, the Freemen likely wouldn’t be a company most keep by choice!

If this sounds like something for you, please contact any member ingame if you have questions. Or simply approach us IC!

37 Likes

Sounds like a very cool community/guild - travelling hub RP is always :ok_hand: I hope you guys publish wherever the Freemen are every so often so losers like me can come see you IC.

11 Likes

Cheers! You can currently find us in Tanaris :wink:

6 Likes

It’s a wonderful idea and will likely post updates about our whereabouts in the form of IC letters here, as on AA. Thank you! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Only joined recently and thoroughly enjoyed the RP. Very approachable and fun to interact with, even if you don’t intend to join / just want to hang out!

4 Likes

News from Tanaris; a letter hastily written and posted from The Road Warrior in Gadgetzan.

The 15th of the second month in the new year;

Baron,

I haven’t received a reply, but I write to you again. This time from the goblin town of Gadgetzan. I haven’t had time to report since my last correspondene, but I’m afraid to say that our business in Uldum went south.

You’ll recall the job with the goblin and the whole shebang, and you’ll recall my feelings about it too. Well, safe to say I was right!

They were gone for over a week. So long I started to really worry if they’d made it at all. When they eventually returned it was in low spirits; bloodied and battered and with that angry local harlot guide in tow. Apparently they were assaulted by pirates in the Ruins of Ammon and nearly sold as slaves. They had to fight tooth and nail to escape, but didn’t manage to fetch most of their belongings. Lucas was in a bad state, but I am positive he’ll be just fine, even if bad luck continues to stalk him.

Anyway. We practically had to empty our coffers to replace the losses; pay the woman for her time and trouble and the FOUR camels of hers that we lost as well. As for the goblin contractor however… well, we ran.

I’m not proud of it, but the deserts has made me realise some nasty truths: Chivalry and honour only gets you so far, and only in the Kingdoms were civilization reigns. Here it is different, and I must look to the group’s safety first.

We packed up with the new people (A redhead woman and a mage) and left; crossed the desert into Tanaris where we stumbled upon two more strangers. Humans, at that. We helped ferry them to Gadgetzan afterwards, and I have yet to make an opinion of either of them-- but all things in good time. For now, we rest.

Until the Augury of that blasted goblin, or the noble or-- or anyone of our enemies pick up on our scent. At least we have managed to secure another ally while resting in this town; an elf no less, though unlike any elf I’ve ever met… and what I thought they would be like. I’ll explain when next I write, if she decides to remain with us.

Has Clare and the boy asked for me? If they do, please do not mention my troubles. I’ll write back with better news next time.

- T. Brady

8 Likes

We have great stew! Come and join us.

4 Likes

And the Freemen take to the road again, heading north.

4 Likes

The 20th of the second month in the new year;

Baron,

I promised I would bring better news, but I’m afraid things have only gone downhill since my last correspondence. As recent as tonight we managed to make enemies among the Gadgetzan guard, and have decided to leave early in the morning. This is why I write to you now, as I don’t know when I’ll next have the chance.

I’ll have you know that the journey here on should be easier at least, as I’m glad to tell you that our caravan has grown significantly in the last few days. Six whole new souls have joined us on our travels further north. The mage from Uldum returned to us as well, having salvaged some of our lost belongings from the Tol’vir city - so I suppose Lady Luck still favours us somewhat.

Anyway, we’ve a job to finish in the dunes first to recover more lost coin, but then we’ll set out for Desolace, where one of the new men claim there’s work and fortune to find. I hope he’s right.

- T. Brady

4 Likes

We are now in Feralas!

2 Likes

I’ve always admired you guys from afar. Really do love what you have going. <3

3 Likes

Thanks so much! Feel free come check out us sometime, we’re in Feralas atm!

The 27th of the second month in the new year;

Dear friend,

We’ve made it out of the cursed dunes at last. We did manage to earn some coin before we left, and just as well. We might need it, though I’m not sure these elves use common currency at all. They don’t look it.

Two nights ago we left aboard a goblin barge across the lake of Thousand Needles, all the way to Feralas. The elves didn’t seem kindly inclined towards us, and the goblins didn’t dare lay anchor for long. It was tense at best.

The sentinels directed us towards a place called Shadebough and after a difficult journey through the wild terrain, we finally managed to set up camp deeper within the woods. I was told Feralas was a forest, but it seems more like a jungle-- it’s even hot here, though not as terribly as the desert. But I suspect it’s just about as dangerous.

There’s a strange feeling to the woods, I tell you… unlike Tanaris, everything around you here feels alive. It’s unsettling.

Anyway, the elves here at Shadebough said there might be work to find with a woman called Alidra Silentdew. It’s early yet, but I’ll ask about her whereabouts once the rest begin to wake.

How’re my family? And your health? I’m not sure how quick this letter will reach you, but I hope the courier returns with good news.

- T. Brady

6 Likes

We set up camp near Feathermoon stronghold :deciduous_tree:

2 Likes

Looks good, folks.

stamps

3 Likes

Over the course of the coming days, rumours begin to spread in both Dreamer’s Rest and Feathermoon Stronghold. They tell of a mercenary band comprised of bedraggled individuals that harass wanderers on the main road of Feralas and waylay careless travelers.

With each retelling of the tale it grows a little more adventurous, as rumours tend to, but those that dig deeper to try and find any factual evidence are unable to come up with anything of merit.

Until this date the coolest people who banned me from their campfire, 10/10. Greatly enjoyed RP. Would leave an angry review on yelp again.

4 Likes

My guild and I had the pleasure of running into these guys in Gadgetzan. Despite our differences, they were very fun to bump into! And I hope we do again someday in-character.

Can’t recommend anymore for you guys on team blue!

4 Likes

We are now in Desolace!

The 16th of the third month in the new year;

Dear friend,

I wasn’t sure whether to write at all, because I have little news at all. Your envoy from Stormwind found us in Feathermoon Stronghold, and on that same evening we fished a human boy out of the sea. Both now travel with us, for lack of anywhere else to go. Goes for most of us, I suppose. We’re currently holed up in some druidic glade, Karnum’s something.

I know few get to travel as much as I have, but if I have to be honest-- I wasn’t made for this. My leg won’t stop hurting; the pain keeps me up at night and the constant traveling doesn’t help. You’d think once you lose a body part, that part shouldn’t trouble you no more-- but of course, we’re not that blessed. It’s only now I can relate to the soldiers’ stories back in the day.

I miss home. I miss the mountains, I miss the air, I miss my grandchildren and I miss Clare. You told me she had come down with something in your last letter. Has she improved? When my Eva died her fever first started spiking, and she wouldn’t eat for days, however much myself and her husband tried to make her. Please make sure Clare follows the healer’s advice, the girl has no sense when it comes to her own well-being.

Forgive the rambling, old friend. What I can tell, is that we might have secured passage to Ashenvale, which cuts a fair length of our journey to Darkshore off. Some mage fellow is willing to wisk us away through a portal, and though they never agreed with me, I can’t say no. One step closer to home.

- T.

5 Likes

Bumped into these guys the other day, one of them ate a Pine cone.

Good fun. :+1:

3 Likes

Treacherous flames set ablaze tender scars
Unrelentingly searing away
Both sanity and feeble skin.

Soot black smoke chokes with malice
So she may once again witness
The dreaded sound of falling stars.

A glimmer of courage to defy cruel fate
Is destined to perish
With his cries of death.

From the sacred waters, a miserable worm stared up at Thelyss. Scarred by flame, cowardice and weakness, she only felt a deep disdain and hatred for the writhing creature.

Yet she kept her gaze firmly focused. A self-imposed punishment for the woman so unlike her radiant goddess, so unlike her own valiant and strong people. Even the pitiful group of humans she joined could see her true, fragile being now: Someone unable to protect anyone’s life except perhaps, out of selfishness, her own. Someone unable to exact vengeance on those that stripped her of everything. She joined them out of a despairing loneliness and fear- fear of the creeping urge that drew her further south to Uldum- fear of her own concerning lack of resistance to it.

And so her spit sent ripples through the holy waters as she rose- a last gesture of contempt for both the deity and person she felt abandoned not just her brother, but her with him.

:scissors:

3 Likes