[A-RP] Shal'dorei Defector is looking for Guild

In my opinion, if you really want to play a character in the Alliance (Or Horde) that is typically hostile towards that faction, then it’s best avoided and better to go neutral. No doubt ICly most players will be hostile towards the character and there’s a strong chance they’ll just be out-right attacked. This is cool if you’re down with the idea, but most people who’ve played hostile races that I’ve come across tend to just ignore people when characters react in a way they don’t like, even if completely reasonable.

Saying that, if you’re down for your character to be attacked / heavily frowned upon then I think that’s cool, however I personally reckon neutrality opens up a better chance to progress the ‘repaying of crimes’ idea.

1 Like

They don’t like you and you will cry. Big deal. Major factions still sanction the Ebon Blade and they freely roam the streets, no one retaliates. If they wanted to do something they would have done it since Legion. It is not something that just happened.

It is the same story with Orcs destroying cities and getting away with it because -big bad leader- I agree about the illidari they may be fel infused but they have not done what the Ebons have.

…It’s kinda hard to, you know, retaliate against what is probably the world’s most powerful necropolis. It’s filled with ranks upon ranks and ranks of death knights, veterans of countless battles and armed from head to toe in saronite armour. Beyond that, have you missed current events? No one acted against the Ebon Blade in Legion because they were fighting against the Legion’s largest invasion yet, they are now fighting against a resurgent Scourge threat that threatens to overrun the world. They are tolerated at best, but not welcomed in any way.

1 Like

honestly my only real issue is that you’ve named your character the equivalent of a dark ranger called Bylvanas

As long as you actually do smth with the less pleasant aspects of RPing a turncoat, which you seem willing to do unlike many who RP such a concept, I think there’s at least some potential.

1 Like

If I recall Tyrandes dialogue from the Suramar rebellion correctly, she only helped so she can get to the Nightwell and destroy it, cutting off all of the Nightborne from their source of mana

2 Likes

Quite true. To a nightborne character, it’d probably make more sense for them to have dabbled with whatever you’d call the combinations of magic High Botanist Tel’arn was utilizing.

Edit: Botanism. The High Botanist practiced botanism. Imagine that.

1 Like

Yeah, that sounds like something Tyrande would do. People try to put the Nightborne joining the Horde over Sylvanas down to “Tyrande said mean things!!” but it’s one hell of a strawman

3 Likes

Which arguably wouldn’t help, since he doesn’t wield a combination of magic. He seems to have wielded it through the Nightwell, so it wouldn’t help with becoming a druid.

2 Likes

Hey, don’t say my Dark Ranger’s name that loud!

3 Likes

Aided by the energies of the Nightwell, he has transformed himself to the point that he is scarcely recognizable as a nightborne elf.

To me, that reads as though he pushed the envelope on changing himself due to the Nightwell. Doesn’t read as though he was only able to command these various magics because of it.

I digress. It still makes more sense than a straight-up Nightborne druid in my books.

1 Like

I think a nightborne resto/balance druid would be the only viable paths to start with, since shapeshifting seems to take a considerable amount of training to accomplish.

3 Likes

True about the botanist and that is what she has been doing so far. I have placed an NPC druid mentor from Feralas (That she defected and captured IC originally in) but it will take time. So far I am Rping that she is struggling to detach herself from the arcane.

She is doing some basic druidic things that mostly fall in botanism. I will rush her training a bit but she is already on it for a couple of months OOC and IC time. I would of course prefer a player mentor than an NPC.

Concerning Shapeshifting it will take a long time for her to even try it. I am talking about rejuvenating plants and perhaps animating a root or two.

And given the distinct lack of nature magic used by Highborne society and their descendants, it could very likely just be arcane magic wielded in different forms.

Out of the Highborne and their mana addled descendants, not even the Highvale elves whom have otherwise renounced magic in its entirety are shown to be wielding any nature magic, in spite of their close relationship to Wildhammers and nature, being mostly former Farstriders ‘n’ all.

I think an additional issue to the above is that, even if you do find a night elf / druid guild, most will likely (at least sometimes) dwell around night elf outposts and settlements. Especially encounters with other night elf players will lead to a lot of problems where you will likely (rightfully so) face attempted murder. While I get the appeal of the concept to some degree, I feel like you will greatly stump your ability to RP pretty much anywhere.

5 Likes

That is expected. I do not mind staying out of certain Rp because of that. Moreover my plan is that once she gets rid of her arcane over time (In another month give or take OOC and IC if she does not screw up casting arcane again) she will be able to slowly conceal her nightborne appearance more and more to eventually look more like a Kaldorei.

That’s fair enough. Just beware that there’s many ways for different characters to unravel/detect illusions and it isn’t exactly used little in lore, so especially military bases are unlikely to let her slip through the cracks easily. Anyway, wish you luck and fun.

Edit: Also might have misunderstood, but yes, there’s nothing that suggests Nightborne can look like kaldorei again. I just assumed you meant illusion magic. Misread.

2 Likes

I disagree based on the schools of magic being used (including a mention of harnessing the light of the sun, Sunwalkers beware), but I think you’re right on the money in regards to the Highborne perception of nature magic. Namely that it’s an inferior and rustic pursuit.

At the end of the day, for all of his mastery and experimentation, what is Tel’arn? He’s the palace gardener.

She won’t. Her appearance isn’t due to arcane magic, it’s due to millennia lived under Suramar’s shield, constantly nourished by the Nightwell. As my previous example - the high elves have 100% renounced arcane magic and did so shortly after the Third War, so they have lived a decade without any connection to it. They won’t begin looking like night elves again.

3 Likes

Could be cool to incorporate both, some of the artifact forms look kinda arcane :^)

1 Like

Very true but I don’t know how lore accurate they are :smiley: