[A-RP] The Covenant of Teldrassil (Kaldorei/Worgen focused sorts)

Big snek hmm…

1 Like

First of all, I would like to remind those here that Noldor or Sawbuster does not speak for us as a Community. And has rather extrapolated a concern that has already been dealt with because he came into the issue late not knowing the full extent of it.

Next, regarding Hiveminds and Umbrella guilds. I understand what you are saying and it’s a valid critique. Realistically I imagine it is rather impossible to function as a large scale community without the risk of becoming hivemind-like or appearing intimidating/xenophobic to outsiders. In practice however, despite mistakes made in our earlier days which I will wholeheartedly admit to, we are trying to be as open as we can within respect to the current state of The Covenant. I’ve yet to actively turn anyone away who’s wanted to join and fundamentally I choose to perceive us not as trying to be “The Kaldorei Community” but as a group to facilitate further Kaldorei RP within the realm of our own mission statement. We are not here to dominate, assimilate or otherwise enforce our method of RP. The ideal of living and letting live seems perfectly applicable. Personally, I was not aware we’d managed to achieve some sense of majority in the Kaldorei RP scene, in fact, I’d wager we are far from it (But I don’t know, personally speaking.). I’d simply state we’d open ourselves to wider cross group interaction as soon as we have a breather to send folks down south IC. I’d like to get involved with other groups, regardless of affiliation. I must reiterate, we are not here to push others out, but to invite those who want to play in the same ball park to our games within it. We’re not aiming to rebuild a new football pitch either, if you will.

Following on from that, I am most aware of the significant presence in Feathermoon, and we intend to interact with it as much as is applicable and appropriate IC. Right now, as it stands, many of us are either dedicated to establishing foundations from which to develop from in our chosen area ‘hub’ or are offering aid and advice in Darkshore. Once that’s concluded I would happily move towards interacting with everyone else. I agree with the risks associated with what we are. It is possible that if handled incorrectly, a community like this has the potential to harm what already exists. That is not our intention, the only thing that will prove the result invariably, is the interactions henceforth. In my opinion. The door is always open, we just need to get to talking to people as much as anything else.:smile:

Next: Why we chose Hyjal. Good question. When first formulated the idea was as simple as, One tree burned down, Hyjal has risen again, it is the perfect symbol of rebirth for the Kaldorei who chose to come with us. Yes, it has hideous phasing issues. (Although they all end once you resurrect Malorne, and we only use the areas up to his Shrine.), and yes, it is far from the majority of IC interaction. But again I would offer the point that Feathermoon is a military stronghold. It didn’t seem entirely right to bring those who wanted to return to Kalimdor, even as civilians, there, when Hyjal stood so tall. Naturally Hyjal is an entirely neutral entity, which is, as stated, why if ever military acts were required we would not have them done or acted upon within Hyjal. The cenarion welcome those who do not bring conflict. Much of what our immediate narratives will be for the Crescent Vigil, for it’s civilian body, is to offer assistance and aid to the Cenarion there in the exchange of their aid in supporting those who now start to eek out lives anew.

That brings us onto why not Azuremyst or the like. Another valid point. To my mind it was a choice of theme over function when we came to establishing the community, though Azuremyst was and is a valid decision. All things considered, the prime reasoning was that those of us who went on this journey to reach Hyjal did so knowing the risks of returning to Kalimdor in it’s time of conflict, and despite that, felt it would be better to stand among ancestral grounds and under the shade of Nordrassil than it would be to remain in the Eastern Kingdoms. Tradition won out over an easier, if alien, safety. The other that came to mind when making the decision was two fold.

Hyjal is, objectively, very defensible. Granted most of this is rendered invalid by giant artillery airships and portals, but this is true of most locations in WoW as methods of insertion, reinforcement delivery, or the like. Hyjal is a landlocked location with only one accessible point short of scaling the incredibly high mountains or flying up. In order to access this path upward, you would need to travel through Ashenvale, Felwood, the tunnels connecting Felwood and then Winterspring. All of these territories, bar Winterspring, play into the hands of Kaldorei tactics, being guerilla warfare, attrition, hit and run, and literally making the forest attack people. Winterspring, of course, has its own issues with it’s winter climate no doubt causing further attrition based issues and mobility compromises. You’d then need to get over the huge Frostwhisper Chasm, only to start an incredulously difficult uphill battle into… neutral territory.

Bear in mind that militant aspects of the community are exclusively there when they mean no harm and are not causing conflict. The moment they were I’d see no feasible reasoning to keep them there. As stated, the majority of the Hyjal residents are civilians seeking shelter among one of the last intact cultural relics and lands of the Kaldorei that is not immediately being ravaged by a war.

Now, I did bring up flying, which is a completely valid concern. For any location. Feasibly any major city or location could just get aerial bombardment or insertion occurring on it. A primary reason to dissuade that would be Hyjal’s neutrality.

The Exodar is very defensible, has it’s own port and the like, which is most valid. However, I would state it could be more dangerous to be there for refugees since it is an Alliance aligned landmass and city (Azuremyst/Exodar) and unlike Hyjal. The enemy could simply sail to it’s shores. In both cases the enemy could fly. The other concern for the exodar was what if the enemy bombarded it and we found ourselves trapped within the structure. To which portals become a valid notion of escape. We did consider these things. Portals to travel between locations of interest seem to be of common use in lore and in RP, something feasible within Hyjal as much as any other place.

As stated however, Hyjal is not necessarily the best place for RP. We’ve had our fair share of phasing issues and can understand why it is… problematic comparative to a location like Feathermoon Stronghold. To rectify this, as stated earlier, it is most likely we will have a lot more interaction going on there as time progresses to establish connections with other groups in the wider Kaldorei scene. It stands to only really benefit both sides, providing it doesn’t encounter issues that cause rifts, something I wouldn’t see happening so long as civility and courtesy can be maintained!

As for the third issue mentioned. It has been handled. Such channels have been vaporised and are non-existent. I am not about to lie and claim such did not exist. It did, and now it does not. The issue is thus concluded on that front. It is not our intent to contribute to that reputation, and seeing how the mere presence of one could do so is a lesson learned on my part and the community. We are sorry for such issues caused.

Quite the essay, my apologies. Thank you for your concerns and critiques!

Addendum: Per some constructive advice, the idea to use Astranaar/Ashenvale is not entirely lost on us. It could work as a valid hub for a slight more militarised focus if we wanted centralisation. I’d just need to justify it’s defensive capability to myself in my head, I’m a bit of a nut for those things. :joy:

10 Likes

http://gph.is/1oWgvyi

2 Likes

Do keep in mind that Feathermoon also does have a civilian presence. Just a headsup that it’s not entirely implausible for civilian rpers to be there.
I even dare to go as far as to say that a military Stronghold might be exactly what refugees would be swarming to, for protection.

5 Likes

Disgusting, wretched tree elves! The true elvish kin will decimate this disgusting passing of ‘righteousness’ for your abomination of magic!

But this looks really awesome and I can’t wait to see you guys about <3

4 Likes

I’m not denying that it would be, but I am not entirely sure Feathermoon strikes as a symbol of hope in the same way Nordrassil does. Or at the very least it didn’t resonate in the same way thematically to me. Bearing in mind many of these people who came along voluntarily did so with the hope to reach Hyjal -knowing- of the risks it entailed. But, again, we’ll be spending a lot of time interacting in Feathermoon, particularly in a militant capacity, I imagine. Were there a time where it became applicable through IC interaction for us to rally there or take up residence among it, I imagine we would do so. Either there or Ashenvale based on convenience and access. The other thing, of course, that bothers me about Feathermoon is the fact that it’s attackable from three different fronts at any one given time. You could effectively choke of the entire location by blockading it’s port, sending a force in from the north and Desolace/Stonetalon, and the rest from the East. Now granted, Feralas is prime time territory for Kaldorei to lay down the hammer, but those odds aren’t the nicest. Hyjal doesn’t suffer from the same accessibility danger. But then again, Hyjal doesn’t also have a fully functioning garrison unless that force has been largely committed to the war effort in Darkshore/with the Grand Alliance.

(Then again, this is working under the assumption such is feasible given both side’s commitments to the war effort at large. Then again, the fleets obtained from the new content and allies could make naval action a lot more feasible.)

Tl:DR. Valid point made, something we should probably address going forward.

1 Like

I love the concept and have a newly Alliance Druid who’d be fun to meet up with you guys.

My only concern is, as for an all intent purpose, a military pro war movement, the location, Hyjal (being its neutral). Now Feralas i would say, yea definitely, as a pro war hub, go for it, but definitely not a neutral location. For example, how would your group react when a truck load of Tauren and trolls turn up (not saying that would ever happen but I’m pretty sure it may not be pleasant). And as we’ve seen in Duskwood, only a few Horde individuals caused an all mighty ruckus. How would this be dealt with? Would it be a bubble rp and ignore red side?

Now if you were neutral rp’ers, sweet, I’d pop over and interact plenty. Or would this be a location neutral rp’ers would see people there but they’re being actively ignored?

There’s also the arguments brought up in the Duskwood thread. Once you attack the opposite side, you’re not neutral and you’re pro war, if the CC wished to remain neutral, would they allow a large military contingent to stay stationed there (even if off duty) and open the place up to active invasion / attack from the Horde?

3 Likes

Another valid concern. We may look into alternative places of residence. I know I don’t want to go through the happenings at the Twilight Grove again. I suppose I should probably snoop around places like Forest Song or Astranaar if not Feathermoon, perhaps.

3 Likes

I agree with you! I’d personally love to see a place such as Feralas or Ashenvale or another predominantly night elven zone in lore be used actively for RP!

Feathermoon was already active last I checked so I do believe you’re right - extending the plethora of zones where there is RP, while it makes sense (MtnHyjal being neutral) may enrich and broaden the RP overall (make it more sporadic and full of RP anywhere instead of making it thin but tall where there is only one community)

Heck, I’d even love to see places I haven’t roleplayed before in be used. I believe there’s a lot of potential!

But Mountain Hyjal seems not to be the right zone for prolonged stationary actions. And that’s ok!

3 Likes

I am genuinely interested in this. I will find the time to roll by and try met you all IC. I have signed myself for a campaign for July so it might be after that. But hopefully by then I would have brushed on Night elf lore. However, I will be on my worgen, but rather know the night elf lore regardless.

4 Likes

The thing is that Feathermoon is not as active as you think it is. Only a week ago it was empty most of the week and even in the weekends.
I don’t think the night elven rp community is actually big enough to sustain more than one rp hub.

6 Likes

Oh, then yes, I totally agree with you in that case :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ashenvale was always the main rp hub to nelven rp. The difference now is that it is both contested and severely damaged as per war of the thorns.
Not the ideal hub for casual roleplay around the fireplace.

3 Likes

This guild looks Fire.

5 Likes

Ashenvale is arguably my favorite zone. Must be working great for nelf RP!

1 Like

Let’s see what the future holds at any rate. With Ashenvale being uh, damaged, as it is, we may have to look to Feathermoon or elsewhere as applicable. Thank you for sharing your concerns and critiques at any rate, it’s been most useful!

2 Likes

Having to relocate can always be a good source of RP.

1 Like

It might be a good way to build up the Feralas RP again.

Also, can I please remind everyone (specifically, the Highborne/Night Elf Mage RP’ers) of the Lariss Pavilion, which is a small Highborne backdoor to Dire Maul.
This could be ideal for the group as a scrying/spying network on Horde activity across the zone. Also, a place where the Highborne and Night Elf Magi could meet.

1 Like

Very good point actually. Can never go wrong with keeping an eye on the Horde!

flies in circles over the heads of Highborne Magi after eating a lot of spicy Goblin food…

1 Like