[A-RP] The Crown Confederacy — A Stormwind Project

I have read the OP. Have you joined the discord?

You’re being pretty melodramatic, so I’ll grab myself and the other professional forum lurkers some popcorn.

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s mentioned in the OP but I wish it was - that’s absolutely based

Pre-2009 Stormwind was incredibly elitist (for the time) but it was also fun to RP

Big up to the oppressive systems to be honest bros

You can’t stop people voting with their feet and if so many people do that you can’t avoid the RP, maybe it’s time to accept that their ideas were just more powerful / popular than yours

I don’t

I did not attack you

I said that what you’re doing and what OP is doing is fundamentally the same thing - yours is on a smaller scale, but that doesn’t mean that you don’t hold the power in to exclude as the DM of that RP

I think you are assigning a tone that doesn’t exist. The point is you trust yourself to run a community initiative but assume others will do it in a malignant way - which isn’t necessarily true

Well, not as well as the PCU, of course, but …

3 Likes

Uh, no. You’re hilariously over-reacting to someone saying, “Hey, don’t you also run something similar to this?”

5 Likes

I guess anything but agreeing 100% is melodrama and over-reaction.

I see, now.

Don’t do this to yourself

5 Likes

Azural you’re shooting yourself in the foot here, best just continue with your roleplay and as said “ignore what happens here”.

1 Like

You’re deflecting.

Even if it is vitriol, there is salient criticism in there. Its tone doesn’t suddenly mean you’re off the hook for substantiating your point when somebody argues (no matter how snarkily) that it’s ringing pretty hollow.

4 Likes

Well, you’re not really offering a criticism beyond: I think any organised RP community can be used as a vehicle for elitism

That’s true, of course, but if you follow that reasoning - that to organise RP having a capacity for ill means it should be avoided at all costs - you end up with a second life server in decline

5 Likes

Nobody ever tweaks my nose :frowning:

And I’m still not seeing the issue. Closing things off while it’s set up and so on is wise, it helps to get things in place and prevents insane whiney masses from making a mockery of the idea.

1 Like

Shut up, nerd.

2 Likes

Yaaaaay. I knew you liked me.

Anyway, this good. And while I respect the nay sayers right to an opinion, it’s better we see what happens. Could you imagine the shear horror of more structured, logical rp in SW?!

1 Like

Put me in the ‘pessimistic’ camp.

I get the feeling that you’ve got good intentions for this, so I won’t accuse you of anything, like other posters have. However, Obilot’s opinions have value in a thread like this because they represent what a lot of the people who currently roleplay in Stormwind City might think when this project emerges from the planning stages and lands on the streets.

Not everyone keeps a close eye on the forums and when the Crown Confederacy emerges, they’ll see a group of guild that (they believe) claims to have authority over administrative, religious, military, judiciary and even criminal aspects of Stormwind City, with closed membership that prevents greater involvement by the common masses of Stormwind City.

I think it might be smart to be prepared for an initial backlash from unaffiliated individuals (and perhaps even guilds) once the project launches, and possibly a continued resistance and reluctance to work with the project or even acknowledge the project. This could lead to bad blood and negative OOC attitudes between the people involved in the project and those that aren’t involved, leading to a degree of segregation in Stormwind City.

If you do create positive roleplay experiences, I feel like it will mostly be for the members and the participants of the Crown Confederacy, rather than for the entirety of Stormwind City. This is absolutely fine. I see this project as being about a roleplaying community providing roleplay for those inside of the community. But outsiders will probably take issue with the fact that you’re using the most public and popular roleplaying hub on the server for this purpose.

So I’m expecting this project to be mired with controversy and lots of people outside of the project refusing to work with or even acknowledge the existence of the project.
I’m of the opinion that it might even work best if it’s an exclusive community, rather than one that tries to involve outsiders or cater to them. That way, it’s literally just community members having fun with other community members, with outsiders having nothing to complain about since no authority is being exerted over them. But then, it’s not a hub experience, it’s a bubble that exists inside of a hub.

I really don’t envy the task you’ve saddled yourself with, and I wish you all the best, but I know better than to expect the best.

3 Likes

That’s understandable! They don’t have to engage, or they can roleplay in-character opposition, or they can get involved and have a cracking & exciting time!

I’m willing to bet that the people voicing dissent - although perfectly entitled to their views - probably weren’t around during the heyday of yore, when Stormwind was actually really fun and when this sort of thing was commonplace and appreciated.

If people don’t want to engage, that’s entirely fine. We have quite a lot of buy-in already, and interested parties in the city are all rather excited.

I’ll extend the same invitation to yourself or Azural above - if you actually want to have a constructive conversation with some of the semi-founders, or some of the people who have taken part in this sort of thing when last it happened, pop along to discord!

3 Likes

Come say hi on discord!

1 Like

It’s not a gentrification of the suburbs. It’s people who want to roleplay in Stormwind. If you don’t want to engage with them, you don’t have to. I can never understand why people pop out of the woodwork to lambast these posts like it’s some corporate takeover instead of treating it for what it is: a roleplaying effort in a roleplaying game. Criticism is fine as long as it’s valid, saying that this will end up in a machiavellian dystopia because it doesn’t feel right is insane.

8 Likes

They can do those things, but there’s also plenty of people who will do less constructive things, such as throw around accusations of exclusivity, claim that this is just an attempt by certain guilds to grab at power and seek the OOC dismantling of this community because it doesn’t fit with their image of what Stormwind City should be like as a hub. Expect a lot of IC actions influenced by OOC dislike of the community, who will not behave in a fair way towards the community.

I don’t harbour this attitude myself. Roleplaying communities of any sort are a good thing, in my opinion. But I know this server well enough to guess at the reaction a lot of people might have, and we’ve already seen instances of it in this thread.

And as I’m not roleplaying in Stormwind City these days or looking to roleplay in Stormwind City in the near future, it would be pointless of me to join the Discord server.
The next question is ‘then why post in this thread at all?’
And the answer to that question is that posting threads about your big project on this forum is an invitation for all of the usual forum nobodies to give their opinion about your project, and this particular forum nobody thinks that the project will be mired by OOC protest against the community by people who exist outside of it. Here’s hoping that I’m wrong!

2 Likes

Maybe they will! It’d be unfortunate, but the best way to combat it is to do what is fun and interesting and useful for the health of Alliance/Stormwind roleplay. I think, also, it’s worth letting actions speak louder than words - letting efforts to rejuvenate Stormwind actually speak for themselves rather than getting bogged down in facile forum arguments.

If we all spent our time worrying nonstop about what others thought of our roleplay, or our characters, or our story, it wouldn’t be enjoyable. You need to roleplay your own character, your own story, and hopefully people go along with it. That’s the inherent shared and almost gestalt trust in a roleplay community. This is nothing different, other than reviving initiatives and campaigns that worked extremely, extremely well some eight/nine years ago. This is just a group of characters and guilds with shared interests (if not goals) deciding “hey, Stormwind’s a bit poo rn, let’s do something to spark some interest.”

We’ll see!

3 Likes

I guess you hate any form of guild or community then. Since the roleplay is typically dictated by a narrative the officers / gm want to take. While something like this is more grandiose and has the space for there to be a lot more controversy. Bringing life back into a city that is filled with small individual cliques is better than the alternative.

While there will no doubt be a lot of small opposition to any form of narrative, these people will still engage. Throughout the history of AD people like Hrothgarr have thrived off of mere curiosity of being the villain people love/hate.

Unless it threatens you directly, I don’t see what one guild that is trying to provide a constant stream of RP to a collective of people will do to you. If anything, it gives characters that don’t want to engage, something to rally and witch hunt against, since the denizens of Stormwind are fond of that.

8 Likes

Yeah, but this here is the problem.

Authorithy RP is the ultimate form of bubble RP.

“You can ignore us, but then everybody who is in with us will ignore you, too”.

Enforced oligarchic narratives are killing for RP.

Hurricane Katrina will look like a summer breeze compared to the OOC s.hitstorm that will emerge from such a thing. :slight_smile: