[A-RP] The Games of Redridge - Concluded

Like is the line drawn at what is PG12? Because then bad words will have to be policed.

It’s most certainly where Blizzard draw the line (The fact that they have an implemented censor for words that are deemed inappropriate for 12+ Games)
I don’t see why it wouldn’t be where we as a community draw the line as well.

As for what happened at the event whilst I was not there in person I was given a look at the Screenshots of what occurred IC and OOC and all I can really say on the matter is that it was incredibly embarrassing for everyone involved and everyone who went along with Marik when he said it. In addition, I believe it really puts into view the maturity and decency some people act with, that is to say, little-to-none.

It’d be sick if curse words were actively policed; considering the worst in-game we’ve ever heard like, once, is Garrosh saying something beginning with B everything else is quite mild in the Warcraft setting - people’d be forced to get creative, which is more akin to the WoW style.

8 Likes

In term of curse words, there’s many things you can use.
“Fel sake.” And such.
Or “Void!” sometimes.

Hell is an in-game concept, used across multiple cultures/peoples Examples include but are not limited to Garrosh Hellscream and Uther’s WC3 quote: “I dearly hope there’s a special place in hell waiting for you, Arthas.”

19 Likes

square bracket hell isn’t a curse word square bracket

1 Like

My characters very rarely curse IC, but I am against Disneyfying the game further tbh.

4 Likes

Having to be creative and abide by Blizzards ToS and ToU is not “Disneyfying” something, we - as a community - should not be encouraging things like what Marik did IC or OOC, it was abhorrent and incredibly embarrassing and really shone a light on the immaturity and disrespect some people have for other players.

5 Likes

I was replying to Saririse’s proposal.

What Marik did is of no relevance to what I just said. Because, of course, what he did should not be repeated.

Daily reminder that Blizzard using curse words once or twice in their rather justified setting does not allow RPers to fulfil their sailor-harlot wet dreams due to the Code of Conduct

3 Likes

High brain power gaming: using curse words supplied to you in World of Warcraft’s medium, keeping it at a minimum for the most appropriate moments for maximum effect.
Low brain power gaming: swearing via old inspiration from Game of Thrones because you can’t articulate better words to use and justify it via “sailor talk” – even though sailors or pirates in WoW talk nothing like these people dropping the C, F and S word like they’re trying to hit a highscore.

18 Likes

Any source on sailors in this setting swearing loads ?

Being interested in something more elaborate / immersive than the f bomb 10 times in a row isn’t very Disneyfying

Swearing should be used sparingly if at all the preserve its impact - if your character lists off every rude they know on repeat people will just tune out

Yes, true - the curses NPCs use are a good guide for what is appropriate to the setting

5 Likes

By the same standards, you and your guild should be banned Perroy. Did you not do explicitly violent RP, where children were killed in Northrend some months ago? I mean if curse words are banned, then drug use, explicit violence and everything else that’d not make it past the censors is strictly no-no.

1 Like

No.

in ten characters.

9 Likes

no

That was probably you on an alt instead

Furthermore if you would take a moment to read my post I am not saying people who swear should be banned (if the swearing has no further context) - I just think it is pretty boring roleplay dialogue to read

If you feel attacked by that idea then what can I say

14 Likes

Not a stab at you personally, but the puritan, double standards attitude tends to annoy me. I’d like the game to remain relatively free from people who try to tell others what is done and not done. Sure, we need to uphold standards, but we shouldn’t nitpick.

9 Likes

It truly doesn’t matter to me if you do

What’s the double standard here

You can speak for yourself honestly. I am more than entitled to have opinions on what roleplay I personally find engaging / what roleplay I find boring

5 Likes

Swearing in RP just makes you look like a poor RPer.

11 Likes

The people on AD who tend to complain the loudest about things other people do are usually the ones who do the very same things themselves. Like “It’s okay when I do it.”.

4 Likes

Instead it is a single standard as I don’t think that OOC swearing is in any way immersive and avoid it myself (and have done for many years).

You should ask the Three Hammers about that.

6 Likes

To be fair, you are an actual purtian though.