Activision Blizzard sued by California Department of Fair Employment

The problem with seeking morality in large corporation is that there is genuinely none.

2 Likes

I don’t think they are shilling, they are the same disappointing reactions we see every time there is a hint of sexual misconduct. They aren’t defending Blizzard as such IMO.

I’m yet to see a post saying Blizz did nothing wrong.

2 Likes

Will be interesting to see if this is the straw that finally breaks the camels back. Not in terms of players but more internally.

2 Likes

Can only hope there will be an internal Arthas purge, but I doubt it.

1 Like

Blizzard is finished.
I hope this company crashes and burns

There were far more shills defending microtransactions and predatory mechanics against kids/vulnerable people, same shills are now disgusted by this, which is interesting. I guess their excuse of “its just what companies do” dont work here.

1 Like

Just checking in to see if this thread was still about flowers = sexual harassment.

Edit: Seems like we move on from that topic.

1 Like

I don’t think you can compare microtransactions to sexual misconduct.

I have no idea what ‘predatory mechanics against kids/vulnerable people’ are meant to be.

And thats exactly why this situation is ironic. Everyone knows what sexual harassment is and why its bad, but same people dont care about more subtle and hidden things, that also can have huge negative effects, especially on children and those with addictions.

Okay that’s still not explaining what you are talking about.

I am not aware of anything like that in WoW.

I have no issue with microtransactions for a handful of cosmetics every year, I do take great issue with sexual harassment. They are nothing alike.

1 Like

I think he’s talking about the controversies regarding loot boxes, where kids spend copious amounts of their parents’ cash to buy virtual things.

That’s underaged gambling, according to EU regulations and companies like EA have been sanctioned because of this.

Blizzard doesn’t have such gacha mechanics, although with the WoW token, one could argue it could similarly be exploited to an extent.

3 Likes

That is correct.

In WoW we might not have too much predatory microtransactions, but Overwatch does have gambling lootboxes, Blizz was one of the first who made them popular. To think this is any less important issue, is just being hypocritical.

So something we don’t have but it’s outrage anyway. Ok then.

I think that was enough off topic for me.

I guess you didnt play any other Blizzard game. While WoW has slightly less of a problem with in-game shop than their other games, its still made by same company. So far every big company that had harassment accusations also so happens to have predatory microtransactions in games.

As far as I’m aware you can just earn loot boxes in Overwatch, no purchase necessary, they offer no power gain and are just cosmetics.

I certainly can’t equal personal outrage about microtransactions to sexual harrassment.

The model of “loot boxes” has its roots in Japan, where a lot of games have a “gacha” mechanic incorporated. However, they were highly popularized by EA CEO Andrew Wilson. There is a very good video by Internet Historian, which I highly recommend watching. It goes into detail on the entire business model, reasons for the financial success but also drawbacks and legal issues.

Regardless, Blizzard weren’t the first to use the loot box model, nor were they the only ones.

2 Likes

Please dont use the “iTs OpTiOnAl” phrase, to justify gambling. As long as you can buy it with money, its bad.

Ah Android Wilson, who could forget him.

Oh i know quite a lot about these things from people who actually care about it.

Sure thing, but if people are ignorant to it, this will continue.

1 Like

Clearly you are on the microtransaction band wagon with your pitchfork. It’s not a view I share.

I don’t think this is helpful to the topic at hand.

2 Likes

And yet here you are supporting the same company with your money.

Havent spent a cent on blizzard for 6 or 7 years :slight_smile: