AD around the world 🌎

oh, I see. I remember how my colleague would always bid farewell by saying “Ciao, bambini!” to our office, where every single worker was female (a clerk’s fate). I am not a native Italian speaker, but it always bothered me. Like, shouldn’t it be “bambine”?

:pizza: :pizza: :pinched_fingers: Mamma Mia :pinched_fingers: :pizza: :pizza:

4 Likes

I’m Scottish.

I will be moving to Norway :norway: in a few years time.

1 Like

:netherlands:

I live on the North Sea coast and far away from the dreadful Belgian border,

6 Likes

I’ve used English for over a decade as my operating system language because most tech support forums are in English and it’s much easier to find solutions from errors messages in English than any other language.

That and, as you mentioned, technical translations from English can be awful and at times outright incorrect.

3 Likes

In English, “Pizzerias” is actually grammatically viable.

Just like how you say “bonuses” and not “boni” :slight_smile:

Guys, we’re halfway into november. We’re nearing on the jolly holly season. It’s officially time for GLØGG!

Oi maamme :finland:

It’s that time of year where I’m faced with the thought " :ice_cube::snowflake:why did man ever choose to settle here."
Gotta wait for next summer to remember the answer.

3 Likes

I’m gonna fix myself some right now

p.s. it’s spelled glögi

3 Likes

GlĂžggers! GlĂžggchamp!

Had my first mug of the season whilst visiting my South-Savonian grandfather and coming out of his sauna.

Bliss.

3 Likes

You mean glögg

Even here I see it spelt glögg/glög despite danes and our love of Ø

Honestly, if the danes spell it glögg, that’s just a really strong argument for spelling it glĂžgg.

The few instances where even we Finns are okay with using g instead of k

Maybe I’ll start spelling it klöki anyway.

1 Like

Klöki sounds like an icelandic spirit.

Of the drinkable kind.

Haha I sometimes wonder too why ancestors move to a desert with 50+ Celsius summers. I suppose life was harder whatever it was they moved from.

Anyway everywhere has bad weather but we learn to survive and adapt whether it’s -50 :snowflake: or +50 :sunny: :fire:

Humans are a bit like cockroaches, in that sense. They move wherever it’s feasible to eke out a living, and are afterwards impossible to remove.

Boerenkool met worst.