AD RL Meetup 20th-21st July 2024

Can bring some treats too, don’t worry about it!

Lets bring all the mämmi

2 Likes

I’ll try and see if the dates align for me to join. I wanted to do so during the pre-Covid meetups, and had more or less assumed these wouldn’t make a return. Very happy to have my assumptions proven wrong!

3 Likes

I can finally post, after a few weeks of being unable to choose a character!

Hopefully able to make it, logistics permitting. If anyone else UK/Manchester adjacent is going feel free to contact me about costs etc.

(The short of it is it’s not cheap, but somehow Manchester-London on the train almost costs as much)

2 Likes

I wish everyone attending a good trip! I hear Finland is quite lovely during the midsummer, and despite not knowing Acrona beyond her community efforts here, I get the impression she is encouragingly welcoming, so you guys are in good hands.

I’ll bet my beard on it!

4 Likes

Fantastic! Would be great to meet you in person at last. :partying_face:

Just yesterday I was informed other two people had booked flight tickets & hotel too, though they’re traveling from elsewhere in Europe.

On top of that there’s around 8 people I know from before who will 99% attend, plus then a dozen others who’ve expressed interest but will confirm later. Regardless of how big/small group we’ll be in the end, I know it’ll be a blast.

Edit: Also apologies to those for whom the announcement might’ve come on short notice - I was contemplating for months whether to host another meetup or not. In the end, as I don’t have travel plans this summer vacation myself, it’s great to have some highlight in the summer to look forward to!

7 Likes

might come back for this one!

1 Like

you’re more in your element online i think

17 Likes

you are bloodshroud

2 Likes

That’s so absolutely wholesome :heart_eyes: :fist:
I feel this is what I like the most of AD is connecting and vibing with people even from different places and backgrounds.

I hope everyone has a blast of a time!

5 Likes

Damn… I’ll be working then, will try next time!

God bless our British railways where anything more than a short journey costs a spare kidney or three.

3 Likes

What am I allowed to pillage btw?
Payback time Vikings XD

Finns are not vikings. We were actually raided by them back in the days.

3 Likes

Hmmm…what are the odds we all fly to norway for payback pillaging XD

Crud.

Conflicting plans are an issue for this at present, but perhaps one day. I’ve only met a select few ADers in my time, and the ones I do remain in touch with are some of the best folks I’ve known.

4 Likes

Can’t recommend this crowd enough, went a few years back and had a blast despite it being in the midst of winter. Such a vibe!

Sadly can’t even think about making it this summer because of other obligations, but i hope you all have a great time.

7 Likes

Estonian-made alcohol should be present at the meetup, surely we can’t let the finns have a great time on their own…

7 Likes

you are bloodshroud
[edited three times for good luck]

Can y’all not bring your cringe rapport in here and derail the thread.

Thank you.

14 Likes

Another week, another walk down the memory lane.

Moving ahead from the year 2008, the third public AD meetup I attended was held in London in 2011. I think it was initiated by Jhen of the original Stormwind City Watch? Much like Tardon, she was a rather well-known individual in the community at the time, which helped people take the leap to partake in such an initiative.

Arriving in London on a Friday eve, I remember spending time with a Danish player who was fortunately more versed in traveling in the noodle soup that is the London underground. Did a bit of late night roaming in the city, enjoyed an impressive limbo act on the street, gorged on paella, explored the multifloor M&M’s store.

The meetup itself took place the next day, starting at the London Zoo. We were graced with excellent weather for outdoor activities. I think doing something active helped break the ice with people one hadn’t met before, too.

Judging from the photos in my yellowed folders, this gathering was slightly smaller than the previous two, numbering around eight or nine people. I don’t remember feeling it though, given the overall warmth and loveliness of the group. It was a good size to easily talk with everyone present.

While I’m laughing at some of the goofy photos we took, being mindful of people’s privacy despite the time that has passed, please behold this lush greenery and magic-infused jellies instead.

The London Zoo is so big we couldn’t possibly see everything without annihilating our feet. While I’m not a huge advocate of zoos in general, it was reassuring to learn the place is part of ZSL, a global conservation charity, that spends resources on education and research to help endangered species.

Later in the evening, we headed to Nando’s for dinner. The food was delicious, yet little did I know the evening would end up in ugly tears.

Fortunately, there was only one of us breaking down. To be honest, the mere smell of the sauce made me tear up too. And the person poured that thing all over their food. To this date, I don’t think I’ve witnessed anyone downing so many pitchers of drink afterward or seen anyone so blazing red in the face. Bless their brave soul. I hope their taste puds weren’t charred forever.

After Nando’s, I think a few headed home while others, myself daringly included, were intrigued by a thing called “nightlife” to finish the day on a lively note. Ended up someplace pulsating with live music. We danced, and the energy grew until the sudden realization we had a circle of people around us watching. Instead of being chased out with rotten tomatoes, thankfully, upon leaving the joyful chaos in the late hours, the place’s manager passed me a card inviting us to return and dance once more. Alas this Cinderella had a plane to catch the next day!

Occasionally I wonder if the place still exists; the photo I have of the card is so tiny I can’t read the text. Anyone recognize the logo?

I remember the trip with warmth. Yet for the next several years, I don’t remember anyone organizing more real life meetups. Stay tuned for the next story though, which will focus on the first rendezvous in the northern vicinity.

18 Likes