Addon enabling accurately targeting players with world buffs without relying on detect magic

Hi!

Just discovered that an addon called ClassicAuraDurations allows for people to see enemy players buffs without having any kind of detect magic spell. This shouldn’t be allowed in my opinion, causes so much grief for both factions, and it seems like an exploit to me.

This addon is clearly in violation of Blizzard’s In-Game Code of Conduct:

You are responsible for how you and your account are represented in the game world. Cheating in any fashion will result in immediate action. Using third-party programs to automate any facet of the game, exploiting bugs, or engaging in any activity that grants an unfair advantage is considered cheating.

Here’s an example of the addon being used to have an unfair advantage in a pvp situation:

As you clearly can see, this person is basically waiting in ghost form until people with world buffs arrives completely relying on this addon to help him target players with world buffs without having any need for a mage to support him with detect magic in order to accomplish this. This addon is essentially rendering mages Detect Magic spell completely obsolete and I can’t see why an addon should be allowed to do this.

This addon is used by both factions killing/dispelling people with world buffs in Kargath, Ironforge, Stormwind, Orgrimmar, Thunder Bluff, Darkmoon Faire, and probably more places affecting all players on pvp realms.

Am I completely in the wrong here or do others agree?

6 Likes

I fully agree. I generally think the whole add-on craze went too far a long time ago as someone who uses 1 or 2. But this one do seem even a step worse.

3 Likes

true should be removed. so now we only have to spam post it here for 2 months and it will probably be fixed, i help out

OMG CHEAT I SWEAR ITS CHEAT HOW?? WHAT THE ACTUAL F***??? IM MAGE I HAVE DETECT MAGIC NOW THEY CAN DOWNLOAD A ADDON WHICH WORKS AS MY SPELL ?? BLIZZARD U REALLY FAILED HARD THIS TIME

This might be unpopular opinion.
But there are many , unseen , things in game that addons show.
Removing one opens gate to removing others.
With this addon you can see what mages see. With deadly boss mod you can see what you are not supposed to see :slight_smile: Kinda hypocritical.

whole classic pvp is about unfair and unhealthy advantage :smiley:

And finally, i agree, even with mage buff this would be considered as a d**k move in bird culture, but when there is not enought content, create your own. And for many people, griefing others is the sweetest feeling ever.

blizzard dont care about detect magic

tbh deadly boss mods is kinda overkill in classic, but I get your point

this is pure cheat…

DBM uses the same mechanic.
SPELL_AURA_APPLIED should not be visible on units outside party/raid unless they have Detect Magic on them.

Everyday i learn something new :slight_smile: thx

to spend hours doing nothing but “dispel > die > ress > dispel > Die…etc”
having interest or joy in repeating same simple thing! over & over?
such type of humans only exist in mental hospital

if you know one of those dispellers please help him/her

2 Likes

Faerlina Website that shows who got its worldbuffs purged
https://byebyebuffs.com/

Is there any blue post responding to this issue?

Hello there,

I have already reported this issue weeks ago, but I got a response from support, that they literally don’t care, see below the statement:

If the addon which shows the debuffs does work in WoW, it is allowed to be used. If the developers decide, that an addon like that shouldn't be allowed, they would disable it so that it doesn't work anymore.

So from this point of view, it seems, that everything that works is simply allowed and we shouldn’t report it at all, as it will obviously magically not work if it was not legit …

This is even more embarassing for the whole developer team, if you are not supposed to see enemie’s buffs and somebody have created an addon which allows you to do so, it’s actually showing how non-professional job was done, when re-creating this game. This is exactly the situation which shows us what are hotfixes and little upgrades made for. Blizzard, upgrade your game, do not downgrade it.

I would also ban all the automated AH addons, pretty tired of ppl going ham in AH by faking and making ingame economy even worse.

It’s not magic, blizzard decides which information can be used by the addons.
Addons are not magically getting the auras data, so if the addon is gathering the information using the world of warcraft API provided by the game, the addon is legit.

_https://wowwiki.fandom.com/wiki/World_of_Warcraft_API
“The WoW API is a set of Lua functions and facilities provided by the Blizzard WoW Client, to allow interaction with the World of Warcraft and its user interface.”

So you cannot ban addons for using public API functions for its intented behaviour (for example using the api combatlog events to get combat or unit information).
But if developers really think that some information must not be available, they can change the information provided by the API.
For example time ago blizzard decided to limit radars and range checks in raids, but instead of baning all range/radar addons (like dbm, bigwigs, etc) they simply changed the behaviour of the API (UnitPosition() function now does not provide the player coordinates in instances).

No one said anything about magic. We are not dealing here with technical problem. Issue that need to be addressed is griefing.

There is small group of players, who found the way how intentionally and very effectively ruin game experience for raiding majority. Problem is that griefing is difficult to address. One of the most impactful conditions for successful griefing is the fact, that they can see opposite faction buffs.

Chosse was trying to point out, that he does not agree with assumption: Since this information can be obtained from WoW API, then somehow it works as was meant to be. Matter of fact it is quite opposite. As a proof of that (as name of this whole article points out) there is actual in game mechanic - mage spell that gives this functionality.
You have to pick to play a mage, level him up, buy that spell from trainer to learn this skill and most importantly to be ALIVE to actually use it. It was game design to give mages this flavour. Support their uniqueness as fantasy archetyp of these powerful spellwielders as they are ment to be. To be able to sense presence of magic around them.

It is major game flaw, that third party programs can mimic this unique ability for everyone and with out any effort. To make things even worse, now it is at hands of most toxic scums in history of gaming with only purpose to irritate and ruin game experience for others and no one seems to care.

Disgraceful.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.