Addressing Early Departures in M+ Runs: A Call for Community and Developer Action

Hello WoW Community,

I recently encountered a situation in a Mythic+ dungeon that I believe needs attention and discussion within our community. During a run in Black Rook Hold, a player from Hyjal abruptly left our group just 1 minute and 23 seconds into the dungeon after our team suffered four deaths on a large pack.

This incident raises a broader issue that many of us have faced in Mythic+ runs: players leaving prematurely without valid reasons, significantly impacting the dungeon experience for others. Here are some points I’d like to bring up for discussion:

1. Consequences of Early Departures: When a player leaves early, it’s not just the run that’s affected. It demoralizes the team and wastes the effort and time invested by everyone else.

2. Need for a Solution: I propose that we discuss potential solutions, such as a penalty system for players who habitually leave dungeons early. This might include time penalties for joining new M+ runs or reduced rewards for a certain period.

3. Balancing Fairness: It’s crucial that any system implemented can differentiate between players leaving due to genuine issues (like connectivity problems) and those who leave out of frustration or to troll.

I am eager to hear the community’s thoughts on this matter. Have you experienced similar situations? What solutions do you think would be fair and effective in discouraging this kind of behavior, while still being reasonable?

Thanks

1 Like

I would like to warn you, you can get a ban for naming and shaming.

I have no strong oppinion about the described situation. Something like this never happened to me in thousands of runs, so i wonder how big of a problem it is and if it isn’t some exceptional incident which unfortunately happened to you but should not get attention from blizzard to address.

The communities opinion? Rare instances are not worth my attention.

1 in 100 dungeons gets a leaver? Sure. It sucks. But 99/100 don’t.

So its not a problem.

And you might see it as a problem, but I can guarantee you that any solution you might propose opens a can of worms that is even more problematic than having 1 leaver every 100 dungeons.

Live with the fact. It happens.

Also Mistjo is 100% right. You WILL for certain get a ban by shaming people. For whatever reason.

I disagree with the idea that player leaving is a rare issue. It happens more often than 1 in 100 times, especially when players leave on purpose to spoil the game for others. This isn’t just a small problem; it ruins the experience for those who spend a lot of time organizing and preparing for the game.

There should be a system to penalize players who intentionally leave games, like in other games. This way, players would think twice before leaving and ruining the game for others.

OK. Its your experiences vs. my experiences. And mine come in direct contradiction to yours.

Give me a suggestion that cant be abused more than what we have now. I emphasize on the MORE aspect.

If u have paid attention blizzard already acknowledged this that they are going to work on a penalty system for m+ leavers but they also said that they are not going to do something instantly because it needs to be a well thought solution and not a fast bad idea.

I kinda agree with blizzard on this, yes it can be frustrating but it doesnt happen often, or your group is just so bad that every serious player leaves.

1 Like

Play better, and stop creating situations where people recognise that there’s no point in continuing because there’s no chance of the key being timed.

Unless someone is top 0.1% player pushing the highest keys where every mistake matters, I don’t see a valid reason to leave when the timer is only at 1m23s. (Death count was at 4. at a big first pull).

1 Like

Death count was 4 SO FAR. I know exactly the pull you’re talking about, and it’s the key killer. If groups can’t manage that pull, they won’t manage some of the later ones either.

Sorry, but I disagree with you. You can have a rough start, but it’s still possible to finish the key in time. Even with that many deaths, it doesn’t mean that completing it on time is impossible.

1 Like

My thoughts are that you can side step this issue by playing with friends, guild mates, or players from reputable Discord communities that focus on M+ and raiding. Pugging is the worst of the available options, and when you decide to do M+ in this way, you’ll occasionally have an unhappy time because there is no social accountability in PUGs (which is a pendulum that swings both ways).

Why isn’t frustration a legitimate reason to leave a group that you don’t enjoy? You can’t hold other players hostage in a group that isn’t working and where they are not having fun. This can’t be expected of strangers that you have no social ties with. That lack of ties and responsibilities is both the up- and the downside of pugging.

I have only ever left one group, and it was because one player was abusive toward the group, but, just for example, if I was in a group this week where nobody is handling the second affix, nobody is interrupting, and everyone is face-tanking the spiteful ghosts, and we wiped several times early on due to any of these, I’d at least have a strong desire to leave that group.

Where are the consequences for players who do the same or less damage as the tank, who never interrupt, who eat every frontal and ignore all the mechanics? You can’t reliably predict any of these before a run starts, and they can all ruin the experience of the other players in the group just as much as leaving a key can.

I’d not leave after four deaths at the first big pull in BRH, because the timer in BRH is very forgiving and that pull can be challenging, but I also don’t know what key level it was and how it went down (if I had to guess it was because the spells weren’t interrupted).

I have absolutely no idea what is harder than the first double pull in that dungeon. Deaths are just going to happen sometimes. And then you 2 chest the dungeon.

But if you look at the kicks and cc on the meters and see that only one or two players are even using theirs, you know the hallway before 2nd boss is going to be a disaster, and if people die on that it’s a long run. Sure, if everyone is using all the kicks and cc they have on that first pull, but you’re dying anyway because it’s such a hard key, you can still time it, but if you’re dying because people aren’t using their toolkit, that’s what makes it clear the key is going to fail.

Overall the mechanics of those hallways are completely different. There are a ton of kicks in the first pull, in the hallway to the 2nd boss there are per pull max 1 arcane caster.

You can wonder why people do the double pull in BRH though. It makes it so much harder and i am not sure why people want to feed deaths in an already easy timed dungeon.

Plus there are the archers that need to be CCed, and the scouts (I think it’s scouts) that do the AOE cast that needs a hard kick, plus the cat that does the leap and bleed that needs to be CCed. If people aren’t using their kicks and cc on the first pack, they’re not going to do anything about those either.

Try doing it on a higher key. We failed it on a +28 on Tuesday night because we didn’t quite make the timer, even with the double pull (+2 pulled in from the left pack and the miniboss skip).

A 28 is fair for the pull. I do not think people in a 28 arent using any interrupts or cc though.
i can not try it on a +28. I am on 25.

The point is, you need to be able to do that pull on a +25 if you hope to time it on a +28 because the pull is a lot harder with those 3 extra key levels. If you wait until you get to a key where you have to do those difficult pulls, you’re going to fail it because you’re not used to doing the pulls.

The point of the topic is that you have some deaths on a lower keylevel with pugs, and still be able to time the dungeon quite easy.

Dosent matter the level.

Leavers are not such a plague as people might suggest.

People’s negative opinion stems from the fact that 1 leaver implies a depleted key. And that is frustrating to level back up. That creates a really strong “bias” against negative outcomes in M+.

Even though, M+ by design depletes more keys than times. At any level.

Instead of ruining everyones experience with some sistem that addresses a problem that does not exist.

Maybe just let people upgrade their key with flightstones and the dragon-stone crest currency (cant remember what they are called). You would eliminate some of the bias against leavers like that.

1 Like

It would have to be VERY expensive to do that, or you’d get people kicking people from their keys just so they could upgrade it and start again (which is exactly the reason why so many of us argue against getting rid of depletion).