[ADRP] What do you think is wrong Blood Elf RP

Just to be sure, what does this term mean?

Hoover guilds that suck up everyone and everything without really settling on what the guild is beyond a group. Usually house or clan guilds.

Blood elves focusing on dancing in the rain.

EDIT: Crabs, Aerilen was faster to give a serious answer.

Actually correct.

Would be fun to see ones that aren’t by invitation only.

General self absorbed haughtiess and a lack of contractions in speech, I find.

Such dishonesty is baked into the cake of the undercurrent of every interaction. Silgryn describing rumours brandished like daggers didn’t in fact describe Suramar.

It does make one ask “do I really have to be here for this?” despite it being an active event involving non-elves.

“What’s wrong with Allied Races” thread coming soon!

If you have two Belfs talking to eachother, they will usually speak Thalassian. If you have two Goblins, they usually talk Goblin.

It’s not a problem OOC. It’s a preference for the characters or what they choose to speak. I believe not many people seek to use it to alieanate others IC for OOC reasons, but because this is the language their character prefers to speak when they can.

4 Likes

I see the fault more with the everyone being sucked up then the guild.
If you join a guild doesn’t mean you have to become some sort of drone to a hivemind… if some hoover guild passes by you are eventually letting yourself get sucked in.

To put it so i think the way people approach certain things might be the biggest flaw… also…

DO YOU SEE THE ERROR HERE?

I personally feel like people don’t even need to understand what other characters talk about IC 24/7. It’s just like in the real world. Some conversations you don’t understand. Imagine going to someone and yelling “Yo don’t speak your own language here, you turds.” The characters might have IC problems when someone does confront them about only using their own language, but that’s just that. A IC problem.

1 Like

That’s not the point. Mages can understand every language under the sun now, so what’s the point? Ic the mage may not understand the language so they simply won’t respond.

Dismissing the issue with closing yourself off while in large groups is a bit odd.

As stated before, what if the person who just approached you does understand it IC? Say they roleplay someone who does?

1 Like

Some people do, and doing so IC might ignite some fires. Personally, I typically stick to Common/Orcish as it’s the universal language that everyone can see and take part in.

So that people will stop taking the comment out of context. Come on, that’s just purposeful pettiness.

Blizzards excuses for the language barrier are bad, and they’ve been bad since day one, and, as Brigante points out, the meta runs completely counter to the established lore. Otherwise stuff like, say, the Argent Crusade would be entirely impossible.

1 Like

lets write blizz together to add an academy to the game where you can learn other languages and dances (which they promised ages ago)

6 Likes

I can’t wait to do the cotton eye joe after yeeting someone to death in arathi basin.

I think that’s the Red Death summed up pretty well these days.

6 Likes

if it was purposeful he’d get a…
Red Death Redemption…

1 Like

In such specific circumstances it’d be best to drop them a whisper about it, since not everyone uses Tongues, etc.

Also i’ve never met a person who just talks their own language to push others away from their conversations without having a IC reason for such. I am myself one of those Mages who can see Thalassian, but not understand it IC, since well. To begin with I am no Mage IC.

I really do not see this as a problem. It’s easy to solve by dropping a whisper either asking to switch the language, use a Addon for it or just roll with it. It’s nothing that will ruin the world.

A pretty good compromise for anyone who still wants to speak in their chosen language is to just manually type [Thalassian] (there’s an addon for this too I’m told), so that people can still have an idea of what you’re up to. It just helps make a community and hub feel generally more open and inviting to those in it - or those just visiting.

3 Likes

That’s the first thing I suggested, yes.

You’re still speaking thalassian ic, and those who wish to join you in roleplay can do so.

I won’t pm somebody to change if I won’t interract with them after because their conversation is just boring.

2 Likes

Ah sorry, I’ve only skim-read a lot of the thread. Didn’t intend to repeat your point.

On topic, it also helps for any characters who could reasonably understand the language. The Forsaken have always had strong ties with the Blood Elves (perhaps less so recently), and those who served in the Ghostlands for example would have had ample opportunity to learn the native tongue to some level.

Honestly that is no longer even speaking the language itself. The point of the language is not to exclude others, but to add flavour to the RP. It is the RPers own choice which makes it trickier, because they can choose to either stick with their language or change it up to Orcish. Having the option itself is not a problem.

I still do not see speaking Thalassian with other blood elves for “Hours” a problem. Goblins do it, Dwarves do it.

2 Likes

I can completely agree on situations like this.