[ADRP] What’s do you think is wrong with Villain/Evil RP (Yes crime counts)

Well. May as well get this one up beforehand someone else takes me idea. So what do you think? Like for me I feel that crime RP is overdone and every criminal acts as if they’re some assassin or brute that’s worked for years. People usually forget that crime is based from desperation from the poor right?

Are you bloody serious?!?

Yes.

Most of these posts are based on the aspects of RP. That and I’m thinking of doing one that links the rest… Also all RP has a bad side.

I beg to differ :sunglasses:

Biggest issue I’d say is the simple fact that a villain requires victims of some sort. Player characters, naturally, are not easily killed or robbed just to build a villain’s ego and reputation. This in turn means that you end up with someone who is only a villain in name and is otherwise just kind of a :shower:.

5 Likes

We are gonna be here all day and night thanks to you, Dura, and I don’t even play WoW these days…

1 Like

The idea that someone gotta win, on both sides. Doesn’t help that current Blizz storytelling has the villains repeatedly scoring W’s after W’s.

5 Likes

Having engaged in and still RPing as a villainous character, the biggest problem I’ve had is finding people willing to portray conflict. Consequences is part of it, but more often than not people seem unwilling to do something that will make them on bad terms with another character — perhaps because they think it might lead to OOC vitriol down the line.

13 Likes

Yeah I can see that. The fact that somewhere someone is going to take something ICly as OOC maliciousness. And those that go with such should really suck it up. Like come on.

Well my opinion is that it is just very hard to find people that are willing to accept consequences regarding such, both on the goodie two shoes side and the villain stuff. Doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

Roleplay is often times collaborative. And I’ve heard many tales of someone seeing you having a Villain TRP then when you use one meant for disguise (provided you had a change of clothing / appearance) the person just walks up to you being like “you are the big baddie from yesterday!” without any prerequisite knowledge.

Though from what I think, there are alternatives for robbing or murder, such as impersonation or manipulation. And it is very hard to be successful in those too because of OOC nameplates. That and what was said before: winning.

A lot of people think it comes down to splitting for a character to be a villain, from what I experienced. Either they win and you lose or vice versa. But say a villain makes use of your character to reach their own objective, while lying to you consistently and discarding helping too often on your objective unless it is to keep up the apparent “trust”. I believe that’s also, in some form, villainy. It doesn’t make a character lose, but they do not win either. That is what I think a lot of people do not see in villain characters, that there is potential.

3 Likes

I can make a list of how many events I had to drop because the probability of GLs taking things OOC or derailing the whole thing so their guilds won’t look bad/lose.

It’s a very, very long list.

Same tbh, albeit it’s more due to how the lawful good interpretation within echo chambers of what passes in the game’s lore overwrites entire guild concepts and their legitimacy.

Here’s something that might be wrong with Villain/Evil RP: badly written villains that are introduced in the last ten minutes of a story/campaign and their writer/DM demands from everyone to bend over so his villain can look dangerous.

It’s not just the “heroes” who can be problematic, but also the villains.

3 Likes

There’s also the problem that your villain can’t realistically get too powerful or become too succesful. You need to somehow stay in that sweet spot where you’re enough of a threat to be taken seriously but not grow to such a threat that the Alliance or Horde war machine turn their attention to you and stomp you out.

This is made all the more difficult with all the ultra-powerful would-be heroes walking around that claim to be powerful enough to take any threat on by themselves. Since the heroes are often extremely powerful the villains have to be too in order to be taken seriously.

I’m not saying it’s entirely the villains’ or the heroes’ fault but the setting makes pulling good, rewarding bad guy RP difficult to pull off.

While I’d love to get in on villain RP concerns like have always held me back from it.

6 Likes

I’ll add that a villain must earn the “fear” or “hatred” of the heroes as well. Especially when it comes to campaign level long term villains.

2 Likes

I am honestly intrigued by these recent forums about what we think is wrong about X or Y. Very good to sprout community interactibility.

Don’t encourage him or next he will make a “What’s wrong with Innkeeper RP” next!

1 Like

Maniacal Laugh

1 Like

Jokes aside - these posts are useful. Lore and discussion topics are always great for the community.

I think these discussions are useful as well but I just wish they weren’t posed in such a way that they’re very much an invitation to devolve into finger-pointing and namecalling against the ones that are “doing it wrong”. Better would be, in my opinion, to discuss what makes -good- villain/Horde/Alliance RP.

Maybe I’m just a big, fuzzy carebear who wants everyone to stop yelling at each other, though.

3 Likes

Actually, I think that not only do interpretations of good villains vary heavily from person to person, people tend to have a villain/criminal alt rather than main.