Affliction Warlock Dispel Protection

How do you guys deal with affli locks, just dont dispel? I feel like the dmg is way too much for it to silence for 4 seconds aswell. Meanwhile ele sits with no dispel protection on their flameshock, just add back the haste % increase you got whenever someone dispelled your flameshock back in wrath.

2 Likes

Well affliction is dot class thats why they have protection and shammy not. Also it was very stupid before when you can just dispel it on cd no worries… idk how dmg is i dont play lock but im glad if its Finally reasonable.

1 Like

Well, on a 20k HP pool dispelling ONE UA hits you for 8k and silences you for 4s.

I don’t think the word reasonable can be applied. Especially since now, with UA into Fear or Coil you can’t dispel your DPS or you get silenced and get hit for 40% of your HP. And if you don’t dispel the Warlock can freecast as your DPS can’t help. Quite annoying.

It shouldn’t deal zero damage, I agree, but 40% seems a bit huge, paired with the silence.

4 Likes

Yes it can.

If the damage is too low there is no point in having the “protection” in the first place as it doesn’t protect anything.

1 Like

As I said, I do not think so. Careful in the choice of words. And while what I say isn’t necessarily the absolute truth I believe that whoever you may be you do not really have your word on what I think.

I agree with that. Now, do you have to deal 150% of the target’s health as damage on dispel for the protection to be meaningless ? No.

If you deal 5% to 10%, despite the silence, yeah, there will be a dispel and locks will be sad. Now, 40%, I believe, is too much. You know in the world it’s not always little or huge. Middle ground is something that exists. If you take 25% of your health as damage PLUS a 4s silence on dispel it’s already quite insane, as Affliction is supposed to have DoTs everywhere already, and can re DoT after a silence.

A low number is too low. Half a HP bar is too big, imo. There should be a reasonable value somewhere in between. End of my point.

You’d disagree with me if I said “yeah but Sub Rogues have no sustained it’s totally OK to evis for 40% of HP bar twice when in dance with endless stuns since out of dance I don’t do anything”, right ? And I think you’d be right to disagree. You can find a middle ground between a CC bot and the Supreme Assassin, when it comes to damage.

2 Likes

Agree 8 k is high but what isnt in prepatch?

1 Like

A very good point. I actually do not remember the values on Beta. Didn’t play any healer there, only Rogue. Maybe someone else knows more.

1 Like

It’s there to promote faster dispels before the UA kicks in.

Also, UA has a cast time so can be interrupted.

2 Likes

I dont remember exact numbers but on beta it felt good enough yet not broken. Prepatch nerf made 0 sense from 60lvl pov if i recall correctly.

1 Like

Do you mean they nerfed it ? Or, if they would then it wouldn’t make sense (which I agree with btw) ?

1 Like

Yeah I get that they need dispel protection but right now if you dispel you take insane amounts of dmg ontop of a silence and just flop over and die

Also about ele shammys having dispel protection, they’ve had it all the way up to legion where they removed it and the cd on flame shock but now the cd is back and we need the protection back. I get that we cant have a silence/horrify thingy but atleast bring back the haste you got whenever someone dispelled flame shock

off[quote=“Hexelyion-aggramar, post:8, topic:200134, full:true”]
It’s there to promote faster dispels before the UA kicks in.

Also, UA has a cast time so can be interrupted.
[/quote]

doesent matter if ua has a cast time or not they have ways to guarantee it going off, what bothers me is that they have double protection, a silence for 4 seconds ontop of crazy dmg

1 Like

Yes, UA dispel got 35% nerf one week ago.

1 Like

So what you are asking for looks similar to Vampiric touch.

Maybe it’s fine on beta Idk tbh but I guess it will be tuned down if it’s not the case cause dmg and silence 4sec will be too much so we’ll see.

1 Like

I missed it. Mmh. It still hits hard though imo they should remove BFA borrowed powers, gather data and wait one week into 60 for any significant nerf.

1 Like

RLS for the huge silence ua into step 5sec kidney play

outsmarted :’)

1 Like

I just want to make clear that i was talking about the damage post nerf. The damage pre nerf was obsene and the nerf was more than justified. Thought I’d clarify this since we were talking about different numbers.

1 Like

Yeah, we might have talked about two different things indeed.

1 Like

Problem with affliction is that by dispelling you remove all dots and that means all dmg from lock. You can cast malefic rapture but withous dots its not doing dmg so you set up all your dots cast ua and boom all your dmg is gone. Thats why its so important tto have good dispel protection.

I understand your issues as ele its annoying to have flameshock dispeled since sour lava burst do not crit without it. Im for some sort of change…for example having 2 charges of flameshock will be great.

1 Like

dont dispel when KS is off cd then.

To all who keep talking about ua, did you notice there are rets runing around onebanging people and warriors slaming people to the grave or?

UA is bad on beta now because it does not scale that well, everyone dispels it on cd.
But all the pros here think it’s fine to use one global to counter 2+ a cast, and that a 4 second silence somewhat counters that.
Genius.

1 Like

Said 4 sec silence gives the lock time to put back 2 of the 4-6 dots they had running on the target, not counting utility debuffs like curses.
Even after taking the full silence, a healer has more time to do damage control before the lock can ramp up damage properly again. The added damage factor makes sure that the damage the warlock was ramping up to isn’t a total bust that was ruined by a single GCD.
Imagine if an 8 sec CD instant spell could continually lower your effective damage output to near zero, that would be aff’s situation without UA’s backlash hitting hard.

Of course in a team fight this can play into cc chains etc, but you’ll have a team with you as well to counter such setups.
Having to think before dispelling all a lock’s dots is a good thing.

Keep it punishing, make the healer question whether to remove the dots, try to power heal through, or urge their partner to LoS the raptures.
Sure beats a no-brainer “always dispel immediately” standard.

3 Likes