Alchemy explosion cooldown

While I must say that the professions have significantly improved.
The RNG chance for a 4 hour cooldown on the fundamental alchemy recipe to advance your craft is one of the most unfun and frustrating additions to it.

It is extremely frustrating, and unnecessarily punishing to tryt to work on your alchemy and just get stopped for 4 hours. I am aware of liquid courage, but the only way to get it is… you guessed it, the same experimentation recipe!

At this point in time it is made even worse that these fundamental recipes had been disabled for about a day, only to return and still be punishing.
Please either get rid of this cooldown mechanic, or make liquid courage more obtainable and craftable.

13 Likes

i was just coming to make a post about this.

the design is aweful and the explosion chance seems to be 100% at this point. no joke my last 5 expirements ( 3 before they disabled it) and 2 today were all explosions.

remove that restriction and lower the chance of proccing a new potion or do something about it. cant progress past 70 since 3 days already with tons of mats

6 Likes

i REALLY like the new system.

you do experiments crafting a random potion/elixier and if it’s one you don’t know the recipe yet you’ll unlock the recipe.
but there is a chance to fail and if that happens you can’t experiment any more for some time or have to use a random item to reset it.

like i said i really like that system.
tho it just doesn’t work.

i’m standing at the alchemy table and see the message how players next to me unlock new potions and flasks over and over again.
tho i only managed to unlock 2 recipes (even tho i experimented like a million times) and now after that i only manage to get the 2 same potions and will eventually blow up which when i reset with liquid courage results in blowing up again and again on the first new try (this is “reproducable” as in it ALWAYS goes that way).

i would love if it works like i wrote in my second paragraph.
but the way they implemented it some people got a really good time with it and also a lot of fun whilste others are sitting on all theire mats unable to unlock any new recipes.
so to me this really awesome concept is nothing but frustrating.

3 Likes

Honestly, if Liquid Courage was easily obtainable (vendor or crafting it like any other potion), I think the explosion would be a fun mechanic. Just like Engineering stuff tends to explode. But I just got 2 explosions in a row (and only one LC), and that’s just completely un-fun. “How to confuse alchemists as much as possible”…

3 Likes

update, cooldown did reset just now. guess what happened on my first craft, instant explosion. thats the 4th time today the cooldown resets and i instantly explode. amazing work blizzard and amazing profession

5 Likes

I know that feeling, my alchemy today:
2 useless discoveries → kaboom
4 hours later
1 useless discovery → kaboom
4 hours later
kaboom

I’m awaiting the disappointment later tonight when the 4 hours are up again

3 Likes

Blizzard just enabled experiment again.

1. experiment - FAIL
    drink potion of whateveritsnameis, which let’s you experiment again. Let’s call it potion of pointless hope.
  2. experiment - nothing, just some potion of nevermind
  3. experiment - SUCCESS - some useless potion receipt
  4. experiment - FAIL
    drink potion of pointless hope
  5. experiment - FAIL
    drink potion of pointless hope
  6. experiment - FAIL
    cry in a corner and curse Blizzard to everyone around me

4h later…
7. experiment - nothing, again useless potion
8. experiment - FAIL

coming to forum to whine about how annoying is this, because I cannot do anything else. Ofc. I can change my prof, but…really? I should change my profession, because Blizz messed-up?

Update:
…next day… debuff is gone… A New Hope…
1st experiment - FAIL

Update 2:
Another 4 hours later…
1st experiment - FAIL

3 Likes

To be honest am really thinking about dropping alchemy. its not fun at all failing a basic potion experiment all day long. no no u dont understand, i literally didnt craft a potion with it. i literally exploded 4 times directly without even crafting a useless potion

3 Likes

Before they disabled the experimentation, I managed to experiment around 10+ times without any blasts and got 4 Liquid courage (Around 5 of those times had new discoveries even).

After they reenabled it?
1 try - explosion
(Use Liquid)
2 - explosion
(Use liquid)
3 - explosion
(Use Liquid)
4 - get one experiment done but no discovery
5 - explosion
(Use last liquid)
6 - explosion
(wait 4 hours)
explosion
(wait 4 hours)
ONE DISCOVERY - immediately followed by explosion
4 hours later and another explosion

Yeah, I’ve always rolled alchemy on my main but this is so frustratingly unfun and unbalanced compared to the other professions

2 Likes

I’ve pretty much given up with alchemy, in the last 48hrs I managed to succeed 1 experimentation out of 10. I also have 2 green accessories and 1 green tool. I can’t even get alchemy to 100 I’m stuck at 70 as the recipes I have no longer give skill ups and have collected all the 1 off extra skill point items from each zone and done all first crafts for recipes I have. Currently it is 100% the worst profession, literally gated by the cooldown from experimenting which fails in my case 90% of the time. Awful design and needs changing otherwise I will drop alchemy. Blizzard sort your system out to make alchemy even abit viable.

1 Like

Tried again twice this morning, failed both of them. Pretty sure it’s bugged. so thats now 1 of 12 experimentations succeeded. Impossible to proceed with alchemy

3 Likes

this profession is just bad as Duck. no joke out of 11 tries, i managed to experiment on potions once, which yielded nothing, and failed 10 times. Duckking fix it already

1 Like

I wasted entire yesterday. I got to experiment three times and on each time it exploded on the first try.

Today I tried again. It exploded on the first try. Second try I got through, but got nothing out of it. Second experiment exploded.

My guess is that the rest will explode too and I get nothing.

In general I ahve been planning dropping alchemy. Its just bad. All I will be doing with it is to sell phials. Higher raid guilds will get their potion recipe from heroic/mythic so they wont need my potions.

The rest of the professions at least can create useful items.

That is at least my current view on the professions.

2 Likes

at the beginning i was looking on the clock to experiment again as soon as the debuff would’ve run out.

now i mostly forget about it because in the end i explode first try anyways.

but remembered randomly so i thought “let’s give it a try. it’s just one experimentation and then you’re done again so it’s a quick one”.
and i was right, exploded instantly again.
i just can’t manage to get it to work anymore and since blizzard re-enabled it it got way worse.

how am i supposed to unlock just anything when i either exploded the first try or explode after managing to do an experiment that doesn’t yield any result?

if they really don’t want to change the chances to explode or the time the CD takes then they at least should give us a daily that when done unlocks a random recipe you didn’t unlock yet.
that way you would still need to experiment to unlock stuff faster.
but you would also progress if you only explode for a week.
and quite honestly with how things look right now i can be really happy if this is the case and i actually manage to unlock just a single recipe in less than a week.

this profession is busted to a point where you really need to take into consideration that you may have no choice but to change your profession.
i like the fantasy of alchemists so i want to stay with alchemy.
but if you think about it right now i could also run around without any profession as right now alchemy is as usefull to me as “no profession”…lol.

1 Like

Moreover, i have Advanced Potion Experimentation - now i m exploding every single time - made already 10 Attempts with it… With basic it was not like this at all. Whats wrong with this? Blizz u need to do something - it s not fun anymore.

1 Like

dude. out of 13 tries. i managed to create 2 healing potions with basic experiment at rank 70., rest in instant explosion from first try.trust me ever since they disabled that *hit and enabled it again, its hell and not worth it.

1 Like

well actually after they turned it on again i v managed to up 25 points in a row.
Now it explodes every single try… I think RNG is bad.

1 Like

Most of the new profession systems are really good but the experimentation with alchemy is just frustrating, in the last two days I’ve come home from work, tried to experiment and it instantly fails every time.

I feel like this is not supposed to work like this. It is very off putting to experience this. Either improve the chance of succeeding or make the cooldown lower when failing cause this might push people away from playing.

1 Like

Just allow us to make the Liquid Courage. bop w/e

2 Likes

I completely agree i’v had 4 explosions in a row without even being allowed to try to make a single new discovery. Can you just fix this please, its not fun, its not clever, its just stupid gating and rng mechancis could you please remove this garbage, that’d be great thanks. Or atleast reduce the time it takes for you to try again. 4 hours is just stupid as all hell.

1 Like