Allerian stronghold?

Hey so i was wondering what ever happened to Auric Sunchaser and his High elves, who lived in the Allerian Stronghold.

for those who dont know, the High elves living in the Allerian stronghold left during warcraft 2 with Alleria to fight the orcs in Outland. They ended up tired and build the Stronghold in Terrokar Forrest naming it after Alleria who went missing in Battle. Auric sunchaser took leadership. When Alleria was missing pre Legion i used to go there all the time searching for clues.

Now that shes back, why is there no mention of Alleria visiting the place or at the very least have a conversation between her and Auric.

For those curious about the lore watch this video,

by the way this video was NOT made by me. i found it funny we have a similar name. But my name is of course inspired by Azshara

1 Like

Not sure why a few dozen High Elf mostly Rangers would be significant on any level? Like sure if you really stretch it you could say there were a few hundred, but Elves pretty much always were quality over quantity, in that regard so it’s doubtful.

Plus given how much of an afterthought reuinon, with her sisters was it’s kind of to be expected that these minor details would get lost in the shuffle. Maybe if they focussed more on Alleria, as a character rather than her sudden unneeded extraneous ability to suck off a dark naaru things would be different, but if the team had the restraint and discipline to do that then the last two expansions would have been VERY different.

2 Likes

To be fair they were slightly referenced in BFA. A high elf NPC in Boralus with the title/guild name “Auric’s Angels” was found in Boralus. Referencing Auric Sunchaser.

They also appeared briefly in WOTLK visiting the Sunwell for pilgrimage but got a rude welcome from Rommath. Though Lor’themar treated them with respect despite the faction difference.

3 Likes

Sadly i think that’s more of a Charlie’s Angels referrence than anything…

Back then they were the only real group that didn’t just pop up out of thin air. glares at the Silver covenant I would suspect taht by now they’ve either permanently settled down in Outland, mostly disbanded or merged into one of the other Thalassian groups.

I wouldn’t mind if they disbanded, but show it in-game. That’s all I want.

Perhaps they will join the Void elves and study the void now that Alleria returned.

This could also explain the “High elf wayfarers” in Telogrus.

True, it would be interesting to see a variety of reactions. Void is broadly reckoned to be pretty much the one force more perilous to use than Fel so it’d be interesting to see some embrace it for the good ol’ days, while the others woudl be revolted and act accordingly. And anything inbetween.

My theory is that half of them will join Alleria including Auric himself, as they respect her for old times sake.

The other half are so disgusted, they are will rejoin Quel’thalas now that the Sunwell is restored, and while they don’t trust the orcs, they hate the void even more.

And the group disbands. Cause let’s be honest, Outland is kinda useless as of now.

1 Like

I could be wrong, but I’ve noticed that the High Elves who barely use any magic are actually, not truly referenced in WoW at all.

1 Like

Highvale :smile:

While they are the least refrenced, they are very popular in roleplay being the favorite amongst many.

The Silver covenant being the most refrenced High elves are the most hated. so maybe its not a bad thing after all?

Blizzard’s overall stance on basically all groups of Thalassians that aren’t blelves are not suistainable long term, because they’re tiny and far between, where even if they all gathered they’d die out, get assimilated into humans or get so inbred they may as well die out…

(Obviously excepting the Undead, who are built different and aren’t aliance)

2 Likes

i honestly find that hard to believe considering how many times they have used the Silver covenant as a functiuoning army that helped the Alliance in WOTLK, helped the blood elves defeat the Amani in Cataclysm, helped the Alliance again in MOP during Isle of Thunder campaign, and helped again in Legion with liberating Suramar. They were even seen in Suramar having a army similar to that of the Night elves.

i do get that they are few in numbers, but nowhere near extinction. I feel like the only reason they said that was to stop High elf fans from whining about a copy pasted race being playable.

also fun fact, the Void elves are supposed to be even far less in number than the High elves are. Umbric’s followers being described as a small group. so unless they start recruiting High elves or blood elves into their ranks they might die out too. We dont even know if they can reproduce or not as there are no Void elf children.

1 Like

That’s more of the Warhammer problem, where the writers don’t have the restraint to stay consistant so dwindling populations can go on colossal genocidal conflicts every few years… (Sounds familiar, eh?)

It’s fair to note that given elven lifespan being in the thousands of years it’s fairly unlikely to become an issue, in the lifespan of human civilisation…

Brings up an interesting question, what would happen to a child conceived, carried and born, in a void infested hellhole like Teldorus.

1 Like

Void Elves will never have Ren’dorei children…Blizzard don’t want to touch that argument at all (the one that very likely, most conceived children would become crazy and void-corrupted monsters even before birth when they are still in the womb, because at a very young age they would have no will to resist the whispers of the Void at all).

Just like as a general rule of thumb, there are no Undead children in the Scourge/Forsaken societies either, despite there should be plenty of them around. If the Void Elves will be able to have children at all, they will just be simply High Elves children, uncorrupted. So a similar situation as the Worgen who can only give birth to pure human children, dropping their numbers as a race even further.

Also if you use that toy that turns the playable character into a child as a Void Elf, you simply become a Voidwalker or a void entity anyway, not a child at all. Leading me to think that they are more void beings than elves at this point anyway.

Even the Blood Elves should be near extinction actually, going with the 90% death rate in the Third War…the High Elves should be on the absolute brink, having only a few hundreds of people at best realistically. And every single High Elf death would be a disaster and a tragedy for them, but it’s not considered as such (not just in game but also in the lore), because for the Thalassian race as a whole Blizzard realised that they simply exaggerated the death percentage, putting it at 90% was a mistake in Warcraft 3 because such huge losses would realistically not be sustainable to rebuild their society as a whole and to make them a playable race, probably for the Blood Elves too.

So basically they silently retconned the losses of the High Elves during the Third War. Yes, they still openly say 9 elves out of 10 died there, but in reality they do not consider this fact and these losses at all, and Blood Elves, High Elves and even Void Elves are showed to be in a quite healthy state overall and to deploy sizable armies at will if needed around the world anyway.

2 Likes

There is a different explanation, for the lack of resurrected children… Thaddius. (And in all likelyhood other stitched up abominations too)

Huh, that actually makes sense given they’re barely not Ethereals.

Even going by medieval population density a huge city state like Silvermoon should have had, at bare minimum 30 000, but likely much closer to 100 000, if not more. Going off that math The Blelves should have at least a few thousand, whichw ould keep them comfortably above the MVP. (50 to avert genetic degradation, 500 for biodiversity)

1 Like

Probably more than 100 k in Silvermoon, even 200 k is possible (just in the capital, so a lot more around the Kingdom of Quel’thalas of course, and even more as some High Elves chose to live in Human Kingdoms like Dalaran or Lordaeron). You have to consider that during the Third War Silvermoon was a city that almost had 7 k years and the High Elves only suffered two major wars in thousands of years before the Scourge invasion anyway. Imagine Ancient Egyptians if they had survived as a culture until today, with only two or three wars in their history…they would have a very big population, more than Egypt has today for sure.

Indeed canonically the Blood Elves are now in the tens of thousands at the very least. We know 10% of the Blood Elves survivors were just the Sunfury of Kael in Outland , and the Sunfury were at least 2000 canonically (and I’m not counting other groups like the Scryers and the Blood Elves who remained under Illidan in this number). So both the Sunfury group and the High Elves who are 10% of the Blood Elves are in the thousands, Blood Elves in Quel’thalas are in the tens of thousands canonically.

Still realistically it’s quite difficult to rebuild and run a kingdom infested with Undead and Trolls for just tens of thousands of people, but as I said Blizzard is willing to ignore that because they had made a mistake with the death ratio in the Third War being way too high for the High Elves.

But this suspension of disbelief is present in other games, shows and franchises that have a zombie apocalypse in their story, actually, so it’s okay. For example in the Walking Dead show I don’t think the human survivors of the apocalypse are even in the thousands in the USA, but still they are able to form groups and small communities of people, and not just fight against the zombies but even against other groups of survivors, so…

1 Like

The estimate was given such a long time ago. We don’t know how many of those 10% survivors became wretched, void elves, death knights, etc.

I do agree putting it at 90% was problematic to begin with. Especially since Thalassians are so complicated today with Void elves and demon hunters and Elune knows what variation will pop up in the future. “Bubble gum” elves maybe? :joy:

I was lowballing, because Blizzard’s now discontinued official wiki stated them to be scattered few and far between among the lodges, from the second war.

The most current information i’ve found is that the total pop across all the lodges and minor comunities in human cities is still two thirds of Kael’s expedition to help Dalaran (and later go to Outland)

And those difficulties are why Blood elves took to the more aggressive magics such as Fel, even then they managed to stabilise their hold on the Ghostlands only with assistance of the Forsaken and the Player Character.

They also asked Vereesa and the Silver covenant for help with dealing with the Amani in cataclysm. so its not just the forsaken and player character.

if you go outside Zul’Aman you can still see them camped there as its stuck with the cataclysm time

Yes but that it’s more about the Zul’Aman crysis than the Ghostlands as a whole. The help of the Forsaken in the Ghostlands has been more important in the region than the one of the High Elves.

(and there’s little justification for recalling the High Elves, too. I think Halduron did it against the decision of Lor’themar just as a sign of goodwill toward Vereesa and the Silver Covenant (that will not be considered during the Purge of Dalaran later, anyway :sweat_smile:).

Also the justifications are silly…“because most of the Blood Elf Farstriders rangers were away at that time” (where???). And even without the Farstriders, the Blood Elves would realistically call for the support of the rest of the Horde races, not the Silver Covenant High Elves. Overall it was just a justification from Blizzard to allow the Alliance players to have a role in that situation against the Amani and Zandalari too (like they usually do when the Alliance is involved with the story of Quel’thalas, the lore about how Alleria found Umbric and the rest of the Void Elves is a bit silly too, we literally know nothing about Umbric and his followers before that point so they just made it up on the spot for Alleria and the Void Elves specifically)

1 Like

In the end, the Elves played such a minor role in the whole thing, I think Blizzard wanted to push the idea of Blood Elves and High Elves working together.

Before they decided to go with Blood Elves vs Humans and High Elves.

To be honest though - the best stories are told when Blood Elves and High Elves are against each other.
As for the Night Elves, I think their best elven rivals are actually the San’layn Darkfallen. I didn’t think Blizzard could pull that off in BFA with Shandris vs Dreven, but it just worked. The principles of the Kaldorei are totally opposite to that of the San’layn and it makes them such good rivals. Much better than having rivalry with Blood Elves and/or Nightborne.

EDIT: Nightborne and Void Elves work better as the more “neutral” grounds between the elves. I don’t believe we’d ever see Thalyssra and Alleria willingly go to war against each other. Mutual cooperation, I reckon.

1 Like