Alliance vs Horde: Which one is the worst according to you?

This isnt the sort of world building the devs are interested in though. Ive made a point that they could alleviate the poverty angle by using the settling of the Cataclysm - since late MoP the Southfury has seasonal floods and turns parts of Durotar and the barrens into a highly seasonal pseudo-Nile.

But yeah, Shogg hit the nail on the head real well.

8 Likes

In-universe, it could be explained by Alliance mostly living in old lands while Horde living in new ones. You´re going to need much more lumber building up your country than maintaining it (although you make a good point with Stormwind being rebuilt only like 15 years ago when Vanilla starts).

The actual reason might be that it´s just a result of Blizzard going with the “medieval village in the woods” trope for humans, even though in reality, Europe might be more forested now than it was in medieval era precisely because the need for lumber was absolutely massive.

It´s not like they used logic when making the human zones, somehow Stormwind lost half of its provinces (including the breadbasket) and only had firm grip on one of the remaining two, yet its huge capital city didn´t experience famine or shortage of goods.

6 Likes

Headcanon: Stormwind uses essentially Astroturf(fake grass) but for trees.

“I can’t believe its not real trees!™”

That’s why it comes across as a case of consequences for thee, not for me when it comes to the Horde and the Alliance. The Horde’s got to deal with the consequences and logistics of a lumber shortage in their territory and the acquisition of lumber, while the Kingdom of Stormwind continues to operate like a well-oiled machine even when it’s supposed to be crippled by the Defias insurgency.

3 Likes

I guess the hand-wavey “solution” would be that the Alliance’s cut down lumber areas and quarries are all of-screen since Azeroth is meant to be bigger than shown. But that is also rather lazy.

And does again play into what you say, as why make it off-screen for one faction, but not for the other.

Likewise there’s the bristle between the industrious goblins and the nature-loving tauren, but nothing between the industrious gnomes/dwarves and nature-loving nelves.

2 Likes

So the same way the Horde uses Taurajo (who?), lol

Zoram’gar “outpost” and Splintertree Post are resource gathering operations and not outright fortresses?

Why do both have a heavy military presence then?

Doubt Northwatch is a problem because it was build in an area the Horde hadn’t claimed yet back then.

Tiragarde Keep however is build right in Durotar!

Well, until Naralax and his gang are able to finally return the Barrens to lush forests! Maybe the Botani can help with that (they wouldn’t do it for the Horde or anything tho!)

I think Stormwind got alot of resources from other Alliance nations to rebuild and didn’t really tap into the surrounding areas because alot of their pop died in the First and Second War.

Now that you mention that, gnomes/dwarves and nelves are waay to friendly!

But maybe thats because they live on seperate continents? Unlike the Bilgewater, Steamwheedle and Venture Company goblins?

Which frankly is much more harmful to the Alliance storytelling in the end. I don´t think what is being described here is Alliance somehow getting away without consequences, but rather worldbuilding being lacking in Alliance zones because it just gets the default fantasy races treatment.

It´s like how Dark Horde somehow survives in Plains of Gorgoroth Burning Steppes despite having no sources of food or lumber (although I guess they did capture that one lumber mill in Redridge) because orcs/trolls/ogres/goblins in burning desolate land is a fantasy trope.

Meanwhile, Horde gets to actually interact with its environment because at most they´re doing indirect tropes (tauren being stand-in for native Americans living in big plains) so they don´t get placed in stupid enviroments where they get to thrive because the tropes demand they thrive.

To be fair, the Horde’s “consequences” of being crippled with lumber is having new outposts and quests in Ashenvale: more quests, that’s it.

Personally, it is also a part of the plot I liked. It connects back to Warcraft III, where Grommash was sent to take lumber from Ashenvale, and to flaws in Thrall’s philosophy of having his people struggle to atone for their past sins (something which, in turn, the younger orcs did not like because they had no fault in their fathers’s crimes - again, I found all of this good story-telling).

I also think this isn’t as true as you make it to be. Westfall has been dried with resources, to the point that we see a giant mine, so large that it could host an entire ship. Their rebuilding also caused economical crises and bandits to run around the kingdom. These are consequences, in the end. Westfall is equally devoid of any woodlands, with logging operations here and there.

It is also noteworthy that rebuilding a city isn’t the same thing as building from scratch an entire kingdom, and Thrall has to consistently deal with interferences from all kinds of enemies - Kul Tirans, centaurs, quiliboars.

Besides, whoever made the game was inspired by the previous games, and they most likely did not want to turn something as iconic as Elwynn Forest in Elwynn Deforested, which really wouldn’t capture the magic of a human walking in the woods and exploring stuff.

False. The Sylvanas novel shows the timeline of events and she actively rejected the Jailer up until she saw Azerite at which point she affirmed her loyalty to him, which happened well after the assassination attempt in Stormheim. Before the Storm has the Alliance admit that Genn and Rogers started the conflict.

2 Likes

Thank you for clarifying that, I was not aware of this.

However, does this also not contradict the whole point with Helya, as Shadowlands makes it seem like the deal Sylvanas struck with Helya in Stormheim was directly related to Helya allying the Mawsworn in Shadowlands?

Even so, that can still be chalked up to Blizzard again not keeping track of their own stuff.

I still hold that Camp Taurajo was quintessentially a war crime which mass murdered a ton (read: small group?) of civillains and a few guards, but became a forgotten plot point because it inspired zero interest from any side.

You don’t bomb cities (camps) and then pretend it’s not a bad thing.

Do you refer to the war, or the conflict in Stormheim?

It was, but at the point in time Sylvanas wasn’t still fully on board with the Jailer’s grand design. When Vol’jin died and she became the Warchief, it fulfilled the second to last “prophecy” of the Jailer (though unbeknownst to her, Jailer and Mueh’zala had arranged this to happen because Sylvanas kept rejecting him), at which point she made contact with him to figure out what’s what. She wasn’t still on board with the grand design, just using him (and Helya) as an opportunity to gain more Val’kyr.

Holding Azerite in her hand fulfilled the final prophecy at which point she was convinced and joined him officially and began to work towards fulfilling his grand design, but at that point they were already at war with the Alliance due to Genn and Rogers.

It’s recognised as the conflict that started the war.

1 Like

In that case, since it was a topic of contention, I’d wish for a quote, because even Warcraft Wiki did not say anything about this

edit.
Rather it says this:

The Gathering, however, ended in disaster. Upon seeing the Forsaken trying to defect to the Alliance and being informed of Calia Menethil’s presence, Sylvanas ordered her dark rangersto kill her people but spare the humans as to not start a war.

Which in itself is post Genn and Rogers.

Once more, this is stuff that would be great if they explored and showcased properly in-game rather than in books and materials outside of WoW.

2 Likes

To be fair, that book came at the end of the Shadowlands, and it once again shows how bad the writing was for that expansion, let alone the planning.

It was them trying to make sense of something that just does not make a lot of sense.

1 Like

Anduin rebuked Genn and Rogers for going too far in Stormheim against his orders, and the fallout of their assassination attempt on Sylvanas sparked the conflict that becomes the Fourth War. Sylvanas cites as much in A Good War when trying to gain Saurfang’s support, claiming the Alliance already tried to assassinate her once — they were already at war, it’s only a matter of when the Alliance deals a second strike (which per Before the Storm, the dwarves were planning on manufacturing Azerite nukes to wipe out the Horde with — the Alliance council is actively pursuing war in the novel) and they need to retaliate.

Moreover, in his letter to Sylvanas, Anduin calls for a cease-fire for the duration of The Gathering, recognising that the conflict had already started. They may not use the word “war” then, but the Fourth War is a direct consequence of the actions taken in Stormheim —— i.e. Stormheim was the first shot that sparked the conflict that would be recognised later as the Fourth War. Just like the people at the time didn’t know that the assassination of the Archduke was the beginning of the First World War.

2 Likes

But this is all your interpretation. Reasonable or not, it’s not what I asked for.

You stated the book confirms that Genn’s assault in Stormheim is the beginning of the war.

Yet you yourself tell me that:

which basically means that no, the book did not say Genn started the war.
Which is reinforced by the fact that, as of the moment of the Gathering, the very same book states the two groups are not at war yet.

Which is reinforced by the first page of A Good War, that you also brought up as a source. Here, in the first page, it says that the two factions are not yet considered at war:

The warchief had recently humbled Stormwind’s king, Anduin Wrynn, so the boy had unleashed an infestation of spies across the city—so many that it forced the guards into paranoia.

It was a clever tactic, especially since the spies kept their daggers sheathed. Killing Horde would have sparked anger and brought the two factions closer to war, but just watching the Horde, evading capture, and successfully doing so for weeks on end . . . The season of war would come again eventually, as it always did. No reason to rush.

4 Likes

Both factions suck massively at this point because they’ve both been bastardized to the point that all that remains are caricatures. Blizzard slowly moves away from the concept of factions until we’re playing in World of Peacecraft.

Writing-wise I can’t say much about horde as I checked out from that entire freakshow the moment we wasted Vol’jin on a random mob whilst Varian got a peak moment cinematic-wise.

Objectively speaking, the “less bad” faction here is the Alliance. It’s a consequence of shifting how we percieve the horde because alliance-coded races are better for marketing. Post-fourth war there’s no reason to root for the horde - there’s no longer the feeling of an underdog fighting impossible odds and there’s no feeling of unity of misfits to secure a place in Azeroth at any cost.

Though, well, maybe we shouldn’t consider the writing of people who thought “light-infused bones” and “discount sargeras” were cool plot points to add to a story.

My post isn’t anti-faction propaganda, btw. I consider faction war to be necessary for the story and the fact that we’ve sidelined it for so long until everything becomes a massive nothing-burger where century-old elves “forgive and forget” transgressions against them after a couple years to be awful. You’re telling me the Sunreavers are buddy-buddy with the Kirin Tor after getting genocided? Having Aethas apologize after having his people hunted down? We just forget Taurajo 'cause garrosh threw a hissy fit and now we work together with the Alliance? Kaldorei just moving on from Teldrassil with Sylvanas getting a cosmic slap on the wrist and a redemption arc after it all?

It’s insane to me how the whole “Turalyon and Alleria just hang out in Silvermoon” wasn’t that big a deal in the end. Why were there Forsaken in Bel’ameth and Gilneas? Am I going crazy? Is this all a prank?

Anyway, I didn’t read the thread lol.

TLDR: Horde Bad, Alliance Good as of right now because blizzard has forgotten how to write an entire faction and just puppets Thrall’s “I need to Relearn Shamanism” corpse everytime they feel they’ve sidelined the good ol’ boys in red. Making most non-“neutral” villains Horde-adjacent hasn’t helped much either.

Anyway you won’t have to worry about factions much longer, so don’t think about it too much lol

Blizzard slowly moves away from the concept of factions until we’re playing in World of Peacecraft.

If I never have to read this accursed phrase ever again, it will be too soon.

5 Likes