Alliance vs Horde: Which one is the worst according to you?

(who are themselves robots)

A tool made to create another tool. An infinitely perpetuating pattern.

All this talk of the sheer depth of the cosmic dimensions of realities in shadowlands only highlights how shallow and simplistic the supposed origin point of life truly is.

2 Likes

Admittedly I only realised very recently but it also throws the entire creation mythology off the tracks as well. We are told the Universe came into being because of the Light clashing with the Void and sending shards of Light flying throughout the dark to spawn worlds and life.

But from what we know the First Ones created all these forces, then made them to intentionally act as counterbalances to one another. Which means the First Ones must have ultimately created the universe as they created the Light and the Void and the entire overly-complicated system they put in place for no reason whatsoever.

These themed “zereths” with a dedicated thematic purpose in their respective dimensional corner of the known multiverse, already established to be of infinite possibilities, has the distinctly conspicuous nature of something artificially imposed. But then we’re just back to the Titan++ discourse.

Zereth Mortis, as we saw it, with these polygonal landscapes, bits and wireframe structures screams simulation to me and just reinforces my observation of how no matter which flightpath you use, your mount turns into the default animawyrm as you reach Oribos. It’s very much a pre-alpha reality operating on the meta assumption that the world of warcraft is a videogame. It breaks the agreed upon illusion that our world is real.

2 Likes

You’d think somebody might have raised the concern and issue that suddenly mandating that everything does ‘x’, ‘y’, or ‘z’, rather invalidates the entire point of even bothering to have deities and gods in the universe. If the Light can only do ‘x’ why bother even constructing it; why not just make 1 single entity that does ‘x’ for you instead, why create a whole divinity made for ‘x’ that then goes on to be able to do ‘y’ and ‘z’ as well. Blegh. Attempts by the unintelligent to explain divinity, which even the most intelligent still have not accomplished in our world, I just can’t believe they had the ego to take an entire setting down with them in the crash out of sheer pride.

I think it’s more that the Dojo had this fleeting peculiar fascination with certain philosophical and scientific concepts and decided to use them to explain literally everything, but did so poorly enough that it’s indistinguishable from what we already have in the titans.

2 Likes

“Please just hire experts in these fields” I mutter tiredly under my breath, knowing that most of them would jump at the chance to actually work on something that isn’t another research paper and would likely have lower costs because of such. For as long as I live I will never understand Blizzard’s writers peculiar allergic reaction to the idea of hiring-on experts to help them with certain aspects of their writings; every azerothian religion would benefit from having a theologian from each inspiration giving them a look over and adding to the authenticity, every azerothian culture would benefit from having experts on their inspirations.

1 Like

I’m sure that they had their share of enthusiasts:

It’s certainly a choice to have tauren speak a lakhota sounding language and also use kwakiutl-style totem poles. Shattrath was divided by very real philosophical utilitarian and deontological ethics, the Venthyr list of sins as applied to all of creation is specifically catholic and the dualism of Light and Void echoes Zoroaster. If the writing team was to be subjected to in depth concepts of religion we’d have a coinflip between better clarification of established beliefs or the worst excesses of drug fuelled deep elder scrolls lore.

1 Like

I’d take this over the Zereth stuff tbf.

5 Likes

Horde. Ironicly that’s what -used- to make them more interesting, that they had collectively done and in some cases were still during reprehensible things and -trying- to either stop or make up for them in some fashion (save the forsaken maybe, I honestly forget half their story).

Unfortunately blizzard put the horde in an inifinite ‘woe is me’ loop then pretty much showed that for the primary race that was all nonsense anyway ‘cause manipulation or no they -still- go on a mass murder rampage. The bloomin’ Trolls try harder than them to not be evil.

Meanwhile the Alliance checks notes attacks arguble legitimate military targets, feels bad about it’s people going rogue and may have, depending on what the canon story even is at this point, killed some foxes. (I’m sure they’ve done more but I’m being flippant because once you get into ‘purposfully engaged in genocide then thought sod it that was a laugh, we’ll try again’ the comparison is absurd).

Honestly the Alliances biggest evil, near as I can figer, is deep seated stupidity. But that really applies to both factions beause holy hell they led by morons. From an IC view it’s remarkable how dumb every NPC is. Like I dunno how a PC character can take any of them seriously.

Disrupting supply deliveries to an enemy power bent on their physical annihilation. Another legitimate target situation, really.

Continuously giving second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth chances is on brand for the “higher ideals” faction. It’s just actively self sabotaging at some point, eroding the point entirely if there is no final line to cross. Just a geopolitical doormat to be tread upon until it wears away.

2 Likes

Are we the baddies?

I’d say both are bad, but the Horde (the one from wc3/vanilla) has made a few more crimes. And at the same time the Alliance ones are pulled under the rug.
Tho I find that also brings more interested rp moments on Horde side, and conflict between the characters. Some supporting them and others are not etc.

Then again, in RP you also have random Alliance players committing more warcrimes than both factions combined in lore, because haha funny.

Horde stinks, hehe :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Regularly written into the role, but then usually fighting worse baddies out of necessity so it’s okay.

1 Like

Nah, we’re the good guys. Now pick up that flamethrower and GET BACK TO WORK!

https://x.com/toutesttemp/status/1806727756098523509

1 Like

Your guess is as good as mine. Apparently the only thing Forsaken are capable of catapulting at their enemies are Blight canisters. And while I can appreciate that it might be some altered version that’s more in line with the Azerothian Geneva Convention regarding chemical warfare, to the average Gilnean fighting on the other side of the Scarlet Light barrier it would look no different from when Gilneas City was first ransacked by the Forsaken.

4 Likes

I honestly think the Forsaken got too much of a presence in Gilneas anyway, whats wrong with locking certain quests to certain factions?

Gilneas should’ve been Alliance only.

Lordaeron scenario should’ve been Horde only (not that the Alliance got anything outside of the PC, but alas).

3 Likes

A collection of confusing errors make it seem like the liberation of Gilneas was either rewritten on very short notice or it was written by someone with a poor grasp of the lore. The lobbing of blight barrels by a squadron of catapults after the Forsaken make it very clear how important it is to remain as uninvolved as possible, Calia being called ‘Queen’ on multiple occasions… It just strikes me as a quest line that was rushed out with very little oversight.

10 Likes