[ANSWERED] "A character with that name already exists" - unable to login after a failed trade in a dungeon

Thank you Tyrskorn as well are Chronormi and the Blizzard crew for helping shed light on the issue and tackling it.

For anyone coming to this thread over this happening, please review the blue posts. In summary:

• Cross-realm trading is the cause of the issue, which results in both players engaged in the trade unable to play and forced to logout improperly
  • Logging out improperly keeps you from logging back in for about 10-15 minutes since your character is still only

Blizzard is aware of the issue and has temporarily disabled cross-realm trading until it’s fixed

ORIGINAL POST BELOW:

I was in a Ruby Life Pools Heroic Instance and a Trinket I didn’t need dropped, I tried to trade it to the Mage in the group to no avail - as the Mage said the trade window never wentt active on their end. After cancelling the trade both me and the Mage were unable to cast any spells or move items in our inventory.

Assuming this to be some kind of cache issue, I tried to logout but found it didn’t work from the game menu - I could still move around and take damage and could talk fine in chat, same for the mage.

I forced an application exist using Alt+F4 and tried to log back in, where in each and every attempt I’m bounced back to the character select menu with the message “A character with that name already exists”

I’ve cleared my cache and WTF folder to no avail, I am currently locked out of playing the game as Aurgold due to this bug

EDIT: After 15 minutes, I was able to login though I was forced out of the dungeon, trading with other players continues to not work.

1 Like

It can happen if you exit the game improperly and the character bugs out. You’ll have to wait for the character to be booted due to inactivity probably.

1 Like

Staying logged out for 10 minutes or so usually solves that issue, or sometimes simply logging into another character then back to the other one works.

1 Like

It’s something bigger. Had the same scenario in Amirdrassil and after logging back (after 10minutes) I’m stuck in the same situation.

Have you tried the character stuck service to see if that helps?

https://eu.battle.net/support/en/help/article/32275

Happened to me twice now after trying to trade a dungeon reward after completion. Trade didn’t go through, but the item disappeared from the other trader. My character bugs out and can’t hearth, and other players are frozen. Hasn’t happened to me before. I’m unsure what happens to the items as I didn’t get them.

Any suggestions on what to do next and how to prevent this from happening?

Have you tried to see if it happens without addons? There has been alot of changes and not all addons are updated yet. I noticed most of mine had broken in this patch and caused some weird issues. (Even the ones that looked to be working were spitting out LUA errors for me).

It’s Blizzard’s fault, not addons. Cross Realm trading bugs the game and disables you from the server smh. You can’t type on Say, you can’t trade, cast, logout or do anything except walking around - and people will see you just standing in one place.

1 Like

Experienced this in a raid as well.

Hi there,

So for the error itself, it will generally resolve on its own after being logged out for a short while:

As for trades inside instances causing disconnects in the first place, I can see a couple of other reports and we are investigating.

It’s a low enough number of reports that it’s unlikely to be happening in every case, and if anyone has noticed details that might help narrow it down, that would be great.

2 Likes

Caught me twice. I cant trade with my other account. Trading causes the character to lock up. Clearing this with ALT F4 leaves your character unable to log in due to the character already being online. Ten minutes off line does clear this.

Aside from *the chew on there is no way to interact with a second account now. Mail is not working and we cannot use trade.

Same issue aswell when i was cross-realm trading with a friend we tested it again and it was only when we traded

I also had this issue where trading caused both me and the other player to be unable to complete the raid properly!

Happened 3 times to me now. Seems to be 100% reproduce-able. At least while trading in a raid

Same issue happened just 5 mins ago after trying to trade item in ruby life pools. Did alt f4 to relog, and after got message - character with that name already exists. Logging into other characters didn’t solve the issue.

EDIT: the reason for relog is that after failed trade attempt, character can’t use any abilities.
After relog (was able to login back after ~5 mins) and trying trade again, same error happened.

This has also happened to me 3 times in a single Vault HC run, had to miss 4 bosses due to relogging! and then someone traded me by accident, back to repeatedly trying to log in for ages. Please fix this as a matter of priority. it’s happened to 4 players in my raid.

This has happened to us a few times as well. Can’t log out or use spells (or log back in if alt+f4 was used) for a few minutes. No use in trying to trade; the bug keeps occurring.

happening to me too always I try to do a cross-realm trade with someone else

Happened to me as well, both in Remix and Regular game, replicated it with a friend 3 times, had 3 characters stuck online at the same time. Any trade cross realm causes it

hey, my friend and me had the same problem, where doing cross realm raid for T-MOG and afther traiding whe both couldnd do anything anymore. had to alt f4 to continu playing. going to other dungeon to then trade same problem. no issue trading to same server. (we tried 4 times total every time had to alt f4)