[ANSWERED] "A character with that name already exists" - unable to login after a failed trade in a dungeon

Yep, can confirm it too. Wanted to trade a pet to a different server, we got stuck after we both accepted the trade, the trade window stayed open and the trade did not go through. First time i used alt F4 and unstuck after i got the a char with that name is already online to get back into the game. Second time after i tried to log out i stayed online to write a bug report and chatted a little, after around 8 minutes the log out went through and i could re enter the game with no problems.

First trade try was in Orgrimmar, second in Valdrakken.

not sure if you have fixed it or if it sorted itself out, but usually it fixes itself after 30min, if it doesnt then log into a few of your alts and then it should force your character to reset and then you can log in

Quick update: We’ve identified the issue and cross-realm trading has been disabled for now while we work on a fix. More info and updates here:

Thanks to everyone who helped raise this, and apologies for the inconvenience!

1 Like

Just happened to me aswell. Trade in dungeon then got stuck. Now character name already exist.

Happened to me aswell in MoP: Remix Siege of Orgrimmar Mythic, can’t log in back.

Thank you Tyrskorn as well are Chronormi and the Blizzard crew for helping shed light on the issue and tackling it.

For anyone coming to this thread over this happening, please review the blue posts. In summary:

• Cross-realm trading is the cause of the issue, which results in both players engaged in the trade unable to play and forced to logout improperly
  • Loggingg out improperly keeps you from logging back in for about 10-15 minutes since your character is still only

Blizzard is aware of the issue and has temporarily disabled cross-realm trading until it’s fixed

The trade option is grayed out but you can still trade with people :confused:

happened after we left LFR and someone wanted to trade me a neck. It s the neck from Dathea, will i still get it when i can log back in? if not the timer is most likely to expire since the other guy will have left already.

I have it happened to me yesterday and today everytime i tryo to trade in an instance and in Stromwind. Unstuck chharacter fixed it first time and the 3th time. The 4th time i manged to log in only after i disabled my addons. I have the following addons in their laster version as of now:

DBM
Angry Keystones
AutoQuests
Deatils!
ElvUI
GTFO
Mythic Dungeon Tools
OmniCD
Plater
Premade Groups Filter
Raider .IO
WEakAuras

I have just experienced this issue. Another player traded me an item, we both got trade window frozen in green/green.
I had to alt F4. Been a while in another alt but I still cannot log that one.

No addons other than WA and DBM

This is still an issue, trading xrealm isn’t disabled and we both got stuck, we couldn’t teleport out of the instance/disband party/log off/exit game, nothing worked. Hard quit my game in windows task manager and when trying to log back on it still gives the same error: “A character with that name already exists”
When I log on another character in the same guild I can see my main still online…

2 Likes

So it got resolved automatically. After waiting 10-15min I was able to log back on.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.