<APES> Should be banned/rolled-back for Bug Abuse?

Yeah which is why I used rather neutral terms :slight_smile:

Personally I am more mystified by the apparent lack of consistent action, and how much of this all was doen in the open, again seemingly without repurcussions.

Some customers already have the feeling Blizz doesn’t really like (the existence of) Classic, and this all doesn’t help.

1 Like

Only Blizzard players would ever think anybody should be banned for abusing an in game bug.
It’s the developers fault that the bug was there to be used, it was a part of the game and everybody had access to it.

1 Like

Good thing exploiting has never been punished in the real-world, nor in any other game ever.

The idea that you are not responsible for exploiting bugs is ludicrous. If a company foolishly makes it easy to cheat, and you cheat, you’re still a cheater. If you set your safe combination to 1-1-1-1 and I guess it and steal your valuables, should I be punished?

1 Like

I don’t think that is Blizzard specific since people get banned for using ingame bugs in a lot of games. And I don‘t think that anyone is speaking about a permanent ban but only a temporary ban. And there are a lot of games where you get banned for far less.

2 Likes

Didn’t they enjoy it?
Let’s be serious, if they only played for the bragging rights … well OK. It is not a decision by Blizzard if those bragging rights are valued or not. To be honest, I don’t care, but as it seems a lot of people do. If they decide this abuse was outragegous, simply don’t give them credit. But most of the people going for quick leveling used this in part, so most people who care would not be eligible.

This is a situation Blizzard knew about (and knew the community knew about), if they want to take action, they should have announced this rate of XP is not intended for big groups and will be changed and accordingly punished if abused.
The way Blizzard handled it, I think it would be a poor choice to punish APES or other players using it (it was not an abuse, as far as everyone knew, this was simply the fastest way to level).

Was it? It was less Xp than in a 5 man group (or on par with)) as far as I know, but to much in terms of efficiency.
So I thought it was simply the most efficient way to level, but not an abuse (and not fun from my point of view).

Is it? I was strongly advocating for punishment for the potion abuse because there is no potion that stacks it’s effect. Here I think it was not more, but the reduction was smaller or not intact beyond 5 man group reduction (if you gained more XP per mob than in a 5 man group if you distributed the players across multiple 1 person groups, I would agree this is an obvious exploit and should be punished).

Bug=abuse, no more words needed.

Well it’s pretty clear from their wording they aren’t going to do anything. To them, the issue is fixed.

so if the game gave you mana back at 2 times the rate from drinking because of a bug would you just stop using it and wait to regen using the 5 second rule?

No you wouldn’t.

No more words needed.

1 Like

Is there something more in depth?
As I said if it was possible to increase the XP per mob beyond 5 man group values with distributing players across groups (if base XP is calculated per group without a penalty for the number of raid groups), this is an obvious exploit.
If 8 man are on par with 5 man groups, I think it would be a reasonable assumption both are considered a full group and therefore 8 man are simply the more effective way to go.

If you could/should have known is important in criminal law intent is the difference between murder and manslaughter and results in vastly different punishment.

As non native speaker, I don’t know if abuse (or bug abuse in specific) implies intent or negligence.
If the term takes regard of or not, the punishment should.

A good point, however as most dungeons are easily doable in 5 man groups this is slightly different (classic is not playable without drinking in a reasonable way, dungeons in 5 man groups are kind of the norm).

1 Like

It’s still possible to run 10 man dungeons right now but yes let’s ban the people who ran 10 man dungeons 2 days ago.

2 Likes

5 man dungeons are really not the norm. When Vanilla WoW launched you could raid UBRS as a 40 man for example.

This trying to justify what happened with the raid xp is really just not happening.

Aren’t they?
I know there are bigger dungeons in classic, but most current dungeons are accessible with up to 10 man (I heard only 3 are limited to 5 man) and are (easily) doable with 5 man up till mid fifties, where 10, 20 and 40 (as intended/required) are more common.

I am still wondering what the exact bug was.
I heard from a lot of content creators dungeon grinding will be the fastest way to go (pre release) and you can access most dungeons as a 10 man group and are not limited to 5 man.
So, I am pretty confident most people did not knowingly abuse any bug (I can’t tell you what most quests I turned in yield in terms of XP and even less what mobs would contribute). Only if the XP are way out of line I would think this was a problematic issue, otherwise I would suggest to accept the bug fix (calling it a nerf is wrong, as it was not intended) and accepting players did a thing they thought of as the most effective way to level within the boundaries WoW gave them in terms of technical limitations and rules.

APES and these guilds knowinly abused it, Hence why they were doing it. It should be common sense that the more people you bring over the 5man bonus should reward less xp per players due to it being cleared faster.

In 5man you get 140% XP for being 5 people, thats including the group bonus. When people converted into raid the xp table stayed the same at 140%xp when in reality should only be 70% xp with 6 people and 50% with 10 people.

4 Likes

It gets halved from 5->6?
Well that’s pretty significant and I guess people should have noticed a difference this big. On the other hand, was this correctly in place in beta or could they assumed this was an intended classic behavior (players were pretty of about damage numbers as well), while pretty unlikely.

Aye, Imgur this /a/X5th1uy Copy paste it after .com and you can see the complete sheet

Shut up everyone knew it was a bug

2 Likes

Yes, they are.

What does that have to do with our case here?

This is EXACTLY what happened.

Why the heck are you so stubbornly delusional, Nemebetas? I mean, either that or you’re defending this because you knowingly took part in it. Which one is it?

1 Like

so cringe…

No seriously they are not. The early patches of vanilla WoW allowed for people to run UBRS and Scholo and Start in raids also. Sure very early on this changed but it was still a thing in real vanilla at this stage.

For grinding exp?