Are new raid bosses too complicated?

I was thinking about this when I was doing timewalking this week.

Are new bosses over complicated, they more mechancis than bosses in TBC, Wotkl and Cata. So as a dps you need to avoid more and think more about mechanic than playing.

8 Likes

What i find irritating is the amount of eye candy on the floor making things harder than necessary for me to see what the heck is going on.

The first 10 seconds of any fight is nothing but every color imaginable on the floor around the boss.

WB days are even worse as that also introduces severe input lag.

23 Likes

Sometimes, sure.
But not really this raid tier.
I did the Sire Denathrius fight 2 days ago on LFR (I figured I’d do it now that there’s still queues for it; I wasn’t really looking forward to it).
Anyway; I walked in, didn’t read tactics. Just used common sense and when I got targeted by something that seemed nasty, I popped turtle. I lived and we one-shot the boss.

If I compare that with the N’Zoth fight… Sheesh. World of difference.

But yeah; this is the first tier of the expansion, so it makes sense it’s not as nasty yet.

Overal though; yeah for my tastes they could do with less ‘gimmicks’.

Not so surprising.

23 Likes

No, old bosses were basically glorified trash mobs, that’s the issue.

14 Likes

Bosses are not complicated outside of later mythics. They seem so because the vast majority of wow players are terrible at the game. Look at LFR council of blood.
The bosses at one point tell you to get in positions. A huge beam of light appears to say “hey this is where you need to go”. Then you have literally the game showing you where to move during the dance, in combination with the bosses screaming which direction you have to move and the other npcs moving along.
Yet, so many people fail.

13 Likes

Sounds like you didn’t even clear stacks, poor healers.

Also I thought you quit again?

8 Likes

Yikes :joy_cat:

6 Likes

I find raiding in general to be too complex and complicated these days.

The design errs too much toward executing boss mechanics properly and less toward playing your character and performing your role optimally.

I’m not really a fan of those mini puzzles that many boss encounters have become, where it’s imperative that you solve the unique mechanic flawlessly or otherwise you wipe. I kind of prefer older and simpler designs where the success criteria relied more on your ability to heal and tank and do damage in different situations. Easier and more simplified perhaps, but more enjoyable as well, in my opinion.

28 Likes

Dungeon trash mobs have more mechanics now than what bosses had in earlier expansions, i don’t think that’s a bad thing though. If every boss would be a tank&spank fight with nothing to think about, it would be pretty boring.

5 Likes

On LFR is dumbed down so anyone can clear it.

On Heroic half the mechanics one shots you if you fail. Imo the boss is overtuned compared to rest of the raid on Heroic.

4 Likes

It was fine.

Almost.

Yikes what?
It worked fine. So what’s the problem?

LFR N’Zoth likes to have a word with you.

1 Like

Too many overlapping mechanics. 8.3 was more relaxing. To me the second boss, heroic Huntsman feels even more challenging in a pug than heroic N’zoth.

4 Likes

LFR and Heroic Denathrius are like day and night. Compared to the previous tier this raid is MUCH harder. I had curve on 3 different chars last time. Now I am only 9/10 HC on my main.

2 Likes

Players are much better at the game now than back in those days as well. It’s only natural that the game has progressed with the players.

Most fights are not too complicated, they have a few mechanics that are relevant to each player in the raid at any given point. At some point more than one happen at the same time, but you only get overwhelmed if you don’t understand your role in the group.

Another problem is before they tuned heroic for players wearing the same ilevel as the raid itself drops because m+ gave so much loot. It seems they forgot that less loot drops now and tuned the raid to the same standard.

1 Like

I raided alot during TBC, and started raiding again at the start of this expansion.

Honestly, I don’t think the bosses are any harder now than they were before. I think the boss fights have evolved over time, but I don’t think they are any harder or complicated.

1 Like

Not that harder , but too much mechanics for most of the people for sure. ( At least for heroic & mythic )

2 Likes

Game is almost two decades old its understandable the raiding mechanics become more complex as the raiders become better in killing bosses over time. The encounters need to stay challenging with ever fast learning community.

One issue I have with few encounters this tier:
you should never have to full stop dps to make encounter easier.
Too much dps on artificier? You’ll get weird overlaps.
You want to stop dpsing on mythic council to make timers much easier.
Stone legion generals depending on strat you use of course but you also have to stop dpsing boss and wait for adds to spawn. “za’cool” was the same. I hate this design

3 Likes