Are players not spending enough on the game?

The content seems a bit light. I’m not ungrateful for follower dungeons, I think that’s a great idea for learning how to heal and tank. But I just remember when content patches used to include quite a lot of meat on the bone.

I raise this partly because I wonder why DK Ghouls and Shaman summons and the ascendance shapeshift don’t have customizations. Why is there a modded Dwarf race coming out instead of something like ogres. How come we didn’t have account-wide reputation gain like 4 expansions ago.

I won’t get very far arguing with the subscription-based payment model, though I do think it encourages poor game design (repetitive dungeons with low loot chances for example) and less respect for the player’s time. But how come it doesn’t pay for more?

I sort of get a snifter that wow is low priority for the company. I know there aren’t as many players these days but between subscription charges, store purchases and the ticket price on new expansions, is the budget so light that in 2 years they can’t sort animations and gear mogs on an ogre?

12 Likes

We get more frequent content updates than before

I can understand that not every patch will appeal to every player but they are bringing something new each time.

6 Likes

And most importantly, they said that the 100 people they hired by buying out another MMO studio will first start to show the signs of work in-game around spring this year.

Those people were busy the last half year to learn and adapt to Team 2 pipeline (if I remember, the internal name for the WoW team at Blizzard). Soon we should start to see their made content on the live servers.

3 Likes

I noticed this a long time ago.

Content kinda went downhill after all the layoffs and quiters, following all the scandals.

I guess the replacements are still trying to grow into old peoples shoes.

4 Likes

This is sort of the problem when you use an in house engine like WoW, while they can do a lot more thanks to it, they are also quite limited whenever they hire new people as learning a game engine made exclusively for 1 game takes time so when you lose developers it’s even more devastating.

1 Like

Dracthyr is bordering on par just as lazily designed as diaper gnomes, the fact you’re denied wearing mog on the only form which matters is baffling.

I’m fairly sure its just higher ups pushing stuff which always works, kinda like riot. Why explore new fun things when elves always hit high because of player pop who plays elves.

3 Likes

Hey that would be great and I’m glad it’s being done. Keen to see what is produced with their effort. Damn does a big company move slowly though right?

More patches, but of a lower quality.

5 Likes

Matter of opinion.

I remember the SELFIE cam and twitter intergration patch.

3 Likes

It’s true, not every patch will appeal to every player. Do you suppose my concern is so minimal as that? :slight_smile:

I’m a fan of wow me own self and will defend the things they do well. Again, I think follower dungeons is a good feature. But I’d hate to apologize or be in any kind of denial over real questions, especially as it concerns a payment model that’s quite lucrative for them.

More frequent pushes is fine, but when you measure the output over a given year do you think DF patches were as eventful on balance as say, TBC?

Seems reasonable to question that.

qwertyuiop

Speaking of that… I got an e-mail this morning that the currency I use to pay for my subscription, will change in 30 days(from euro to nok). I am currently incapable of wrapping my head around how this will affect my payment, but I am 100% certain it means a more expensive subscription. The subscription is already on the border of what I can afford as a montly sub, so how more worse it will get is what will decide if I have to leave the game within the next 30 days. It’s slightly OT, but does anyone have any idea how this will affect the pricing for a norwegian player?

(like you OP, I agree that for the price of the monthly sub, it feels like we are getting very little, because the sub is quite expensive).

2 Likes

I do not suppose anything about your concern. :slight_smile:

I haven’t defended anything. :slight_smile:

Content has been pretty tight recently, I agree. Now, I’m about 90% sure the main WOW team is focused on TWW, so they can make it as good as possible. That being said;

If this is true (and I’ve never known this person to lie), then I don’t expect to have this problem ever again.

1 Like

It’s all good, Punyelf - I only said I would defend them (on some things). They get a lot of complaints, some of which seem to be made either to troll or complain for its own sake.

I have a bunch of ideas for how the game can be made better. Some of my ideas are so good, they probably SHOULDN’T be implemented, out of fear of breaking the internet (of course). But it’s all in the spirit of seeing the best out of wow. I mean how good would it be to populate follower dungeons with your alts and even swap to any of them at any time during the dungeon? I know, I know, it would break the internet.

As someone who has racked up a bonkers number of achievements I’d be interested to know how you feel about wow’s direction. Are you content with the output from Dragonflight (and with what’s coming next)?

1 Like

For having to buy expansions and pay subscriptions at the same time, there is VERY LITTLE content.

3 Likes

That’s what I wonder about. You’ve got the store too, with €25 for a single race change. I was really pleased with the return to depth in the talent system in dragonflight, and with how it was executed. But I mean, they released an entire player flying system and arenas, besides many other new things in TBC. I can’t help feeling that for the increase in monetization since then with the store, there could be more activity.

I don’t mind them making money. I mind feeling as though I’m only there to make them money. I’d probably feel it less if for the nearly triple-A price they charge for expansions you got game time at the same value. So maybe 3 months or however it shakes out. I mean what triple A game (which mind you, releases entirely brand new content and can cost 200 mil to make) asks a €50 price and then another €13 per month to play it. It’s sort of implied by the upfront price that you will then be able to play it whenever and for however long you wish.

1 Like

exactly. now we get 3 patches with content we used to get as one patch and they lie to us that we get more content. WE GET CONTENT more often. not more of it.

4 Likes

Suggestions are always good, and people all feel differently about stuff. Same with these patches or anything they do tbh. You can’t please everyone, and we have such a diverse bunch of players who all like different things.

I have loved Dragonflight, because it removed the chore factor and I could go back to playing the game and enjoying my time online instead of having to farm x before I could even do anything. The game feels better because it’s more like it was pre-Legion when they introduced the make you play factor with AP farm. Don’t get me wrong, Legion had some great content and storylines.

Going forward I’m more excited for Midnight than The War Within but I always enjoy new content. You only get that feeling of brand new shiney content once. I’ve enjoyed the content patches and pace in DF, they’ve given me enough to do and a change of scenery most of the time. I don’t like everything ofc. That would be impossible and some parts of content is just straight up badly done. Whelp Daycare flying race quests for example.

I’m really looking forward to a more account wide approach in TWW.

2 Likes

I’m really looking forward to a more account wide approach in TWW.

Same. I may be impatient but I feel like they could do more with it. I’ve got a “put your alts to use” notion lately because mine are generally neglected and I can’t find the time to gear them up as effectively as my main. If they can find various creative ways to engage your alts in gameplay (not just in shared progression) I can only see that encouraging more play time (in harmony with the payment model).

I have loved Dragonflight, because it removed the chore factor

This is an interesting point. You won’t catch me defending Korthia but I sort of feel like they cast aside too much (hence why I question budget for received content). I thought Torghast was actually an interesting idea. My main problem with the last expac was with borrowed power and content gating. You often had to do content you didn’t really like to make progress on something else.

I’m a PvPer mainly because I’ve never been able to get into end-game dungeons. I’ve done them a bit but the thought of running them repeatedly for a chance at certain loot drains the soul out of me. Each to their own of course, but PvP keeps me on my toes in a way that I can repeat.

Appreciate the considered answer :+1: