Are players not spending enough on the game?

Well it is only a x.5 patch. They are generally small.

2 Likes

That’s true, but my concern isn’t with one patch it’s with the general content output, especially when you look ahead at the next expansion. I could believe they were at least going through the motions if the Earthen race was a sort of proto/primordial Draenei version of Dwarves. But it’s 2 expansions in a row now where things to do feel oddly light.

If it was coming off the back of a decent major patch it would be fine, but 10.2 was only 4 or 5 week’s worth of content, and that was just a few hours a week.

I played 8.3 content regularly for 6 months, though the Visions did drive me a little crazy by the time I completed both 5 mask runs lol. I spent many hours in ZM too. More in an average week than the whole of the time I spent in the new 10.2 zone.

I appreciate some players really like the lack of necessary content, but in the 6 years I’ve played there’s never been so little good open world content as there is now (excluding those long stretches between expacks).

Open world content has always been trash. It’s the biggest weakness of this game.

Damn, so the War Within alpha is already out in the next 2 months?

DK’s, (well me personally, I can’t speak for all,) have been asking for more minion customization for several years, and I sincerely hope in the incoming DK rework (if it happens) that there will be a lot of customization options.

For example as it stands right now we have one default minion with two glyph options that have to be changed out and replaced if you want to change your minion. We cannot change their names, some if not all the names are straight out of a Penguin children’s book.

It has nothing do with “not paying Blizzard enough” but everything to do with Blizzard not paying attention to Death Knight players for at least 15 years.

For example, look at the latest class tuning that went live this week.

Last week, I was lucky if I saw 3 paladins (including mine) in an LFR.

Today. I see at least 10.

Could it be something to do with the buffs Paladins received? Only a cynic would suggest so, whereas my Frost and Unholy got a 4% buff on all abilities.

That was the equivalent of instead giving a Death Knight a handful of wet noodles to fight with, we were given a handful of uncooked noodles.

Just as useless, they just look and feel a bit tougher, because the base gameplay of the Death Knight especially frost is broken to the point of “just delete them forever”.

When the current season’s tier bonus on Frost suddenly forces you to talent into an ability that for a long time was a PvP ability, that’s nothing to do with lack of money.

That is an absolute apathy to the DK players.

1 Like

For me it is the same every time. Few weeks of doing it then not really bothered and either level random alts that end up deleted or play something else. I am actually looking foward to season 4, though.

Started doing M+ with friends on my Hunter and that the are including open world in it has intruiged me. I just get to a gear point where you no longer get upgrades very often; they give you the same gear or you have to farm the currency.

At that point I lose interest and go “Eh, high enough.” Although I am not too interested in M+ gear just the hanging with friends part.

1 Like

Because as usual the fans ruin a franchise by demanding more and more and want everything fast and ready and now now now! Nobody has patience anymore or gratitude for what they get, they rush all the content in 5 minutes then complain about having nothing to do, i myself like to take my time and take it all in, but ofc now i cant do that because if you arent on the ball you get the fomo (fear of missing out).

Thats my take on it anyway.

2 Likes

There is enough content but the content feels heavily GW2 inspired. I can’t stand GW2 because of this.

There’s quite a lot being charged of players though, so although I don’t like the attitude much myself it’s somewhat to be expected.

I also think it’s not the game anyone remembers and things have less of a feeling of purpose than they used to. I used to read quests in vanilla and TBC (some had funny writing), but I stopped when destination markers appeared on the map. Then quests became about ticking boxes. This effect was made worse by the ability to fly.

Now that mobs aren’t as dangerous I can’t remember the last time I grouped up with anyone to do a quest. Because you’re playing with strangers in a dungeon that you no longer need to travel to people seem kind of cold and unfriendly in them.

Classes have become more formulaic and everyone has a different version of the same stun and interrupts and you can’t half structure your shaman to tank and get away with it anymore.

I think they tried to do stuff with professions but aside from mining WOTLK was the last time I did anything major with them. I dabbled a bit since then for a magic carpet from vanilla tailoring but that’s about it.

And gold. What does the value of gold mean anymore. In the last few years the only time I’ve set foot in an auction house was for a few glyphs, some profession mats and a pet whelp. It used to be the pub for me. When I was level forty, 100 gold meant I was actually rich. I had saved it over many painful levels to afford riding a hairy overgrown sheep at 100% speed and felt I had achieved something quite difficult. It was a hard game to play in a lot of ways but the pleasant QoL changes they’ve made over time have taken away some of the meaning of things.

EDIT: The other thing is if you let your player base lead content development it suggests to me you might be lacking in vision and new ideas yourself. I’ve played games where people asked for things but outside of making obvious improvements or fixing bugs, the company had very specific ideas for what to do and it held on to the game identity while keeping it fresh.

2 Likes

I hope that with Chris Metzen back at the steering wheel in terms of Lore / Story-telling perhaps there will be an improvement in TWW.
We could use more lore based zones like Suramar back in Legion.
The Epilogue quests so far and the Gilnean jaunt have been too short.

1 Like

Agree, so much more content in Guild Wars 2 and ESO. Guild Wars 2 is insane with their free episodes they offer every year, whole new zones and story lines.

Follower Dungeons were so pointless, I really don’t understand the point. Any level 70 character can already solo all of those normal dungeons, we don’t need followers.

2 Likes

I will tell you why it is not pointless. Blizzard can start small with Dragon Flight normal dungeons and then expand it to all dungeons in the Dungeon finder (queueable dungeons normal, heroic, time walking).

I like the follower dungeons for a few reasons:
If I want to experience the dungeon and explore it
If I want to do it slow and not speed running it
If I want to complete quests
If I want to practice for M+

I agree with you a lot on the GW2 part. Anet do great job with the content. Blizzard can learn a lot from GW2 and FF14

1 Like

It is my belief, that we only got follower dungeons due to the development of delves for the War Within expansion. They will feature a NPC that will accompany You in a delve. This NPC will be able to fulfil any role: tank, heal or dps, depending on Your choicies. To make that happen, they needed to develop a model of behaviour for such an NPC. Followers in dungeons are a sort of byproduct/prototype of the NPC that will accompany You in delves. As stated, this is only my opinion, i’m not a Blizz dev.

1 Like

They should’ve just put all resources into creating an AI healer that can do M+ or PvP. Any level 70 character can blast through normal dungeons, complete waste of development time and resources.

Most of what they have added to DF has been extremely light and, in my opinion. of very poor quality. You devour the new content is less than 2 weeks and the expectation is for you jump onto the M+/raiding treadmill and be satisfied.

Even PvP is losing a mass number of players because of boring long queues and random BG have become totally unfun. Especially after so many years of players moaning about premade groups and yet nothing has been done about this. Premade is for organized rated content and has no business in the casual part of the game. PS. Even if you put the well known ones on your ignore list you will still run into them. So much for ignore working.

With all that has been done with DF I am truly concerned for TWW. If this is the new format then it will be perma on sale just like DF.

2 Likes

It wasn’t designed for level 70 characters, it was designed for level 60 to 69. You don’t need any followers to smash through a normal dungeon when you’re level 70.

1 Like

If you release every 3 months, the content will be indeed smaller. Can’t remember who detailed it correctly on youtube last time but it’s true for all IT companies.

If you let us do a Release every 6 months, we will shower our clients with content, if you want a 3 weeks Release, then it will be small bits every 3 weeks for maybe a big bang after x months of work.

The main difference is now you can see the smaller/ less interesting content getting more spotlight because it’s the only thing coming with a given patch were before it was drawn into a new raid + new zone + new weekly quest + new transmogs.

So, you aren’t actually interested in the story?

I find flying to be one of the most important features of the game, and I still read every single quest. Markers on the map didn’t take away my curiosity about the story either.

We are and all of it is half baked and half cooked…
Look at Emerald Dream for example… That place should not take a player 2 hours to full finish it… Its prob taken them years to make and polish it…
The only time people go there is to finish off the secret mount and do the super bloom…