Are they really doing this?

back in the day when i started wow in 2004 you went out into the world with your level 1 char and got on with it you either lived or died everything you met in the first day could kill you and you had not much gold in your pocket either , after a while you got better gear and could buy a horse for 90 gold that nigh bankrupted you but you struggld on to get better and better , finaly after 2 years along came an expansion where you gained flight at first slow but as you leveled more it got faster . all this right to dragon flight , the adventures we had the stories we could tell ,all the mess ups in raids the wiping and the cry babies who even back then could,nt take wiping , and here we are today with all the younger players wanting all this on a plate , get a life and earn it like we did you will feel the sence of pride we did , if the game carrys on like it is today there can only be one ending and that is into the dark and the end of wow . amen .

1 Like

Your acting like dragon riding is hard and requires a steep leaning curve to utilise. It’s not and it doesn’t.

If it’s introduced to new players early on it will be their standard mode of traversing the world and pick it up quicker. The system is intuitive and effective.

As for people who already have it, who cares it took me 30 minutes tops to get my glyphs watching a location guide or an add-on.

You need to accept the fact that the game is being developed to be more accessible and respect players time both of which are good things and really cannot understand why you would single about it.

1 Like

Ahh the good old, “I had to earn it so I’m gonna chuck all my toys out of the pram if everybody else doesn’t have to” :laughing:

I don’t think it’s intended that way?

More that leveling used to have its own sense of progression, and that many design choices over the years have removed gameplay elements that used to contribute to this sensation.

They don’t want to punish new players, they want them to have this progression experience. To my mind it’s been clear this won’t happen anymore in retail, the game has fundamentally changed over the years. I get when people put up a fight tho, something was lost. Others see what was gained.

A matter of perspective.

Actually, you’ve got a point with the Dragonflight “soft reboot” thing. From the game as a whole, DF kinda lacked any real solidity in purpose that we’d seen from the previous expansions - even if it has to contend with BFA’s ADD issues and Shadowland’s general tripe.

On its own though, it’s inoffensive, adequately adventurous in a lowkey setting with just enough of a crescendo for a starting experience. It’s like Vanilla before Ahn’Qiraj.

It’s just a shame then to lose out on all that older content. A lot of it was great in its time, even if it is “baggage” now. It would be nice to somehow recapture all that once was. You can’t really; either you force people to do it which causes resentment, or else the content just becomes an obstacle for whatever reward you’ve given as an incentive.

A full revamp of the entire world would be perfect, if possible. Allowing players to level “classically” or through the more streamlined Chromie Time stories. Rebuild the world with leveling as a fun activity and incentives to return to past areas.

This isn’t one of those “either-or” situations. We could have both the new innovations AND keep the old magic, if the effort is put in.

1 Like

You’ll never make your point with anyone here sadly.

WoW is like a classy restaurant that went from making 3 course dinners with fancy food and drinks to a trashy fast-food hub decorated with kids posters and weird slogans. You’re the guy telling the people there for a quick bite about how much better a fancy dinner was, and how much better decorated the place used to be.

And aside from the one guy who happens to be there because he just wanted fast food today, everybody is looking at you like “What are you talking about?”

Including the owner and the cook, who have long since replaced the original cook whose food you loved so much.

1 Like

Yeah I guess I see your point but at what stage are they planning to give people draginriding as new players, are we talking new to the game and used up any charcter boost to reach the Dragon Isles or are we talking any old level 1 dragonriding around beginner areas?

I don’t think your opinion is wrong just that we have different ones btw. I think all views are valid even if I don’t agree with them :dracthyr_nod:

I do agree it would be rather silly to DR in Elwynn etc if that was people’s first play through experience. The zones just aren’t made for it :dracthyr_hehe_animated:

I do agree, and I would love that. I have strong doubts they will tho, for multiple reasons, not the least all the Classic versions that have ‘fixed’ the issue in one way.

My guess is they’d rather invest their resources in new content than overhauls. That may be wise even. I could obviously be very wrong, it’s simply my impressions and personal conclusions :wink:

I have no idea! I only know new players will start in DF, like they did in BfA for some years and having dragonriding there makes a lot of sense with those massive zones. So there’d not necessarily be ‘cross contamination’ with old content unless they opt to make it game wide for lowlevel players.

I’m curious myself if there will be a level restriction in older content. I do agree it makes little sense there. But then again it’s odd to have it in DF and not elsewhere. I have no answers :smile:

Yeah if it’s in old content then it’s just a weird idea, some of those long runs back and forth for quests or to get a flight path are character building and it’s not like the old zones are the same these days anyway, where you literally had to plot a course as to where to go next to level according to your own current level then work out how on earth to get there.

189999% true
and the main root of problem is in this but none can see it
when you start the game you should see the reall content from there then when you get to max level you should see the second phase of contents but they made leveling boring. soulless. empty. and useless untill you get to the max level.
and the ***** part is that some of players are paying big gold for levelup boosting and some other dudes just keep spamming dungeon for fast levelup

i really want to talk to those developers
did you see how people still playing classic and season of discovery?>
because its not childish. its simple/ its harder/ half of the content was in leveling/

those developers cant even talk to their players

3 Likes

yes there is so much potential in leveling but they cant see it

1 Like

the whole point of the post is that it wouldn’t be more enjoyable. You enjoy things you work for in order to attain. If this weren’t the case, then levelling wouldn’t even be a thing.

1 Like

It has it, I leveled decent amount of alts, to pretend that it doesn’t is ingenious.

Flight unlock doesn’t feels great for average new player, gold farm will just force on you feeling that you need to log more dungeons or do some other crap that technically is more efficient from gold farm standpoibt instead of progressing through quest storylines (personal experience), it can be upsetting, there are also people who does not loot every single corpse so they will be significantly down by gold.

I’ll probably open a brand new universe for you: it’s not how new players perceive leveling, for new players there is incentive on figuring out game systems and understand what’s going on by reading quests and listening to dialogue, they don’t care that you don’t have to gather profession mats, or that you kill mobs easier than it was in wotlk, or that you can PULL MORE THAN 2 MOBS AND NOT DIE OH MY GOD.

If you compare it with how it was early on, this experience has been watered down.

The main progression you have now is simply your level going up. And effectively that doesn’t change much, or it even seemingly makes your character weaker because the impact of your abilities go down with the accumulation of your toolkit and the way the world scales. I’m happy I can level anywhere any time btw, so I’m not dissing scaling.

In between class quests, visits to class trainers for higher ranks of spells and abilities, mounts being a ‘high level’ thing to look forward to for quite a while, levels taking longer and therefore good upgrades having a more significant impact, outgrowing areas, growing into areas that would have killed you in 3 secs flat before etc, meant the journey to max level had a lot of tangible moments of this sensation of progression.

You may like the more modern version better, and think this is all irrelevant. It’s relevant to others tho.

1 Like

That’s not true because unlike classic in retail your class has learning curve and the more levels you get the more options you get, you start figuring out rotation combos and make sense of which buttons you supposed to press in which order.

There is certain lag in power for certain classes like mage, but for example rogue feels very in line, like I definitely feel that while leveling 1-20 I was much weaker than when I gained shadow techniques and more survivability in talent choices. I even bought health potions to live more, crazy.

Class quests are mostly great, not every class got equal amount of them tho, and sometimes rewards felt very subpar, or story was not interesting at all, if there was even story to begin with.

Oh yeah, legendary “my shadow bolt started to feel like crap, I guess because current level is balanced around shadow bolt rank 3, ha ha, not tedium at all”

No, its just tedium

“You need to completely finish every single quest in previous zone or else you won’t be allowed to get into next zone, and even if you feel like you are strong enough to go through those mobs that 1-2 levels higher than you: too bad, because all quests in this zone are very rigidly level restricted. congrats: you just wasted your time, go back to previous zone for new portion of tedium, while doing this you can fend off against another bunch of damage sponges with your primitive rotation that doesn’t have any learning curve and to be honest even has element of random to it because your spell/autoattack can miss too much or mob can crit you enough times”
Good gameplay, why would someone wont find it fun, hmm.

The most overused and meaningless word in wow community

1 Like

The interesting thing is, I fully get it when people say that. Those who say that don’t seem to be able to see what I, or others who feel similarly, mean :slight_smile:

It’s just a different experiencing. I’m mostly fine with how the game has changed, I think there is a lot of convenience, more simple focus on class gameplay, more playfulness and mucking about when leveling, which I appreciate.

I do feel that we
1.Need to have appropriate scaling and gradual feel of gaining power for each class, not this weird lag of suddenly not oneshotting mobs for some classrs
2. Prime leveling must be Kalimdor and EK, alas for that we need complete rework of this locations, and I don’t know if blizzard will do it someday

I’d love both of these things. With the scaling I’ve contemplated it before as well but I couldn’t come up with a better solution (luckily I’m not a game dev and just a simple pleb :smile: )

I’ll secretly keep hoping for a revamp of EK and Kalimdor and some sort of overhaul for the quests. I don’t really see it happening but who knows. Could be so fun tho!