Argent Dawn, Communities, Us VS Them & Escapism

Hello there!

First of all, I would like to preface this post by saying that I am no sort of trained professional when it comes to dealing with people or breaking down their thoughts and such, however I wanted to write down here some observations during the years. I am also not a saint, so in the past I too have fed some of these topics that I see as problems now in our larger community.

The OOC Among Us

I think for a lot of RPers on Argent Dawn, people who are strictly OOC are just folks who have rolled on the server to play the game, but unfortunantly griefers and lollers are still a thing that happens often on the realm. We have ways of dealing with griefers right now, that being the /ignore and report functions, while not perfect they are the best we have at hand now. Additional moderation from Blizzard would be a great thing to see, even if only on the Forums to start with.

But most of you who are reading this already knew all of that, so what was the point of me bringing it all up?

“Us VS Them”

In the recent year or two, several of AD’s communities seem to have taken to basically labelling every OOC player on the Realm as a griefer or a threat to the stability of the Realm. In doing so for many it has created the sort of athmosphere where you are basically either part of Team RPers or Team OOCers. Some have used this as a chance to basically demonize these people, to make them feel like the “Other” in the Realm, going on about how these people “See us as zoo animals” and “We are not objects to be looked at for your entertaiment”. In my opinion, this sort of self-victimizing mentality over the issue of “OOCers” does more harm than good, especially when at times the people pushing this sort of thing have themselves experienced such labelling IRL in society, be it school, etc.

Escapism

Many of us are extremely passionate about our characters, their stories and the RP we create and partake in, but at the end of the day everything that happens on this Realm should still be a hobby, nothing less, nothing more. When you have communities where people basically shape their personalities around fitting in, especially if the person has never really felt like they have ever been able to be part of a group of people who like the same things as they do, it can become a extremely slippery slope to escapism and tribalism. Veteran players of AD have seen it happen over and over again, from Horde to Alliance Guilds and communities. People overlook things done by others OOC in order to keep that community afloat, because if it crumbles, some are left with nothing.

I am writing all of this in hopes of bringing up discussion about these topics. I am not simply looking to dunk on any individual people with the points I have brought up either. I’d hope that people would discuss these things in a civil manner, but the Forums generally don’t stay that way about a post for long.

18 Likes

Because it simply is the way it is run. You come here to RP or you don’t. It is very simple.

21 Likes

No one is dissing on people for doing content in a game. Raiding, mythics, pvp, transmog hunting… all these activities are clear to do if you role-play or not.

The issue is that the OOCers, whether they wish to gawk at role-players, do their own thing or disrupt the realm, is that they have chosen the wrong realm.

There are 11 role-play realms, but of those 11, ten lack the communities found in Argent Dawn. The rest are over-whelmed with oocers.
Stories of people who have been forced out of these realms already tell the tale of how these realms were once for role-play but trolls, oocer focused raiding guilds and pvpers who just flood into the realm turned them from role-play focused into another ‘normal’ server.

The discussion is simple. This is a role-play realm. You don’t want to role-play? That’s fine. Find another realm.
There are dozens of ‘normal’ realms for them. And they can fit in there.

OOCers:
:point_right: :airplane:

42 Likes

I find it’s infinitely flawed to join a server “for the atmosphere / community” but not contribute to it.

25 Likes

There’s one EU RP realm thats still functional, there’s countless non RP realms. It’s such a simple problem even at its very core.

14 Likes

Roleplayers aren’t zoo animals we ain’t here to be watched by OOC’ers. You can do content and RP.

28 Likes

This this this… Okay I reached the ten characters! :blush:

5 Likes

You’re laying the blame on the RP community entirely here when there have been OOCers on this server that exist exclusively to grief RP; the scarlet crusadè and “bouncybum” to name a few (i am no doubt forgetting at least a dozen more)

The tide of public opinion turning against OOCers is entirely the blame on the behaviour of OOCers – if anything the RP community is more open and accessible then ever

Not sure what you’re referring to here – the only “community” OOCers keep afloat is their own raiding guilds

24 Likes

I feel like no matter how nice and respectful some OOCers may be, it ultimately contributes to “lol 80% of the realm doesn’t even RP” which makes it more socially acceptable to grief RPers and see them as oddity rather than mainstay of the realm.

17 Likes

One of my first experiences when coming to AD in summer 2018 was group of OOCers talking about the game in the middle of Cathedral Square. It was followed by many other examples of people following RPers on naked level 1 characters, putting mounts on us or doing the classic “lol losers”.
All of this happened before the big switch where RPers started publically saying “OOCers shouldn’t be on RP servers” on these forums (at least I certainly did not notice it back then, feel free to correct me).

So how has this push made situation worse?

8 Likes

But don’t let our words alone be enough… How about we show you how “VITAL” OOCers are to this realm?

Let’s start from the top.

OOCers… are healthy for the realm:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/431113366350725121/725780535284334712/unknown.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/431113366350725121/724329773006061588/223c78814a285b75071cb65aa3a0ceb0.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/431113366350725121/718883978500636783/87b9f1403dca33428190177c93f6e7e5.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/424587690017685516/715934480040329287/26e03212761a64c3bb8e9d47575c3d20.png

OOCers… are… so… healthy… for… the… realm.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/431113366350725121/714535959953408000/unknown.png

Would you like me to continue?
Because I am going to.

31 Likes

PvE content can, and has, been done by people who RP. We have no need of pure OOCers to sustain the economy, for example.

I distinctly remember the exoduses from other realms to here due to either inactivity or the lack of RP (we called Earthen Ring escapees immERgrants). To wash away all that for the sake of painting it as one community’s vendetta does nothing but virtue signal to a group who simply don’t care.

22 Likes

For those using ’ It was a sole offense’ card, this happens daily fyi.
These are just well documentated cases

9 Likes

Oh, I got plenty of screenshots to go through. I am just limiting what I post because, let’s be honest… Spamming isn’t cool.

8 Likes

To add to the poundshop pyschology of OP:

I think RPers who rail in favour of this realm having more OOC players have this kind of “if I can’t have you, no-one can” mentality to the realm. Because their own efforts here have not gone too great they would rather have the realm as it is now stop existing so they can celebrate some non-victory that exists only in their mind

“Hahaha … my guild didn’t manage to take off … but now the entire server is scuffed, so who’s the real winner” et al. It also seems to come from players who admit to being unsubbed / not being invested in roleplay - ie. they’re prescribing something they must know isn’t going to be good for this community to us while not having to live with the outcome which is why most of these big “dude just let your events get camped by a mammoth just ignore them bro muh AH prices” takes don’t feel like they’re based in reality - because they’re not. It’s typically guys with 0 investment wanting a crumb of attention

You’ll see it a lot from the same kind of player - and I wonder why they don’t check out servers like Moonglade and Defias Brotherhood if they want to play on a realm where their big ideas have been put into effect

39 Likes

For me the question really is why is it so criminal for us to want a space for ourselves to engage with the hobby of RP, when us having that space causes no issue on or for other realms; Normal realms which out number RP realms by a vast degree anyway.

To act as if we are gatekeeping from some WoW Garden of Eden is lunacy. We are just wanting the one area for our own that exists amongst other areas already set up for everyone else.

34 Likes

OP has ulterior motives

22 Likes

It is rather simple why OOCer and OOCer supports are now crying foul about being given a label.

They realize that we don’t back down from being pushed out of the last RP realm that has an active enough community. And now they wanna be nice.

18 Likes

Some of these screenshotted comments are just some next level embarassing, even on non-RP realms.

10 Likes

I have seen it all now.

1 Like