Argent dawn

There’s a massive sense of open arms and good welcomings when new roleplayers start proactively engaging with their surroundings on Argent Dawn. So many guilds are open and stand ready to bring them onboard to help them shape their characters and narratives, to grow their hobby and interest in it.

Every “looking for roleplay/rpguild” post on the forums here is answered with a whole arrangement of options and suggestions. Argent Dawn is friendly, welcoming and open to those who want to be a part of it, contribute to it and help it flourish in a world where there’s no real alternative.

Give RP a chance.

2 Likes

Would anyone be willing a quick TLDR on what RP is about specifically? Do people RP everything or does it depend on the person/guild.

You don’t have to rp but you’re welcome to do so of course. There are a few players around that don’t rp but like to be here because rpers make the world feel more alive.

It’s online impromptu acting. If you’ve ever played DnD offline consider it like that but on an online context, and with generally a lot less dice rolling.

You have guilds who do it together, people who do it just as individuals and mixes in between.
You “act” the part of your character so in your case you would be playing as “Heist” the Blood Elf rogue.

Honestly there’s no harm coming here to see how it is, watch others do RP and perhaps dabble with it yourself. Even if it’s not for you there is a large server population so you’re not restricted for content outside of it.

Incredibly difficult question to answer in a concise way to be honest, at best I can recommend spectating some roleplay (though try to do so from stealth or in an otherwise unintrusive way, rather than flying overhead on a big loud mount or standing right in the middle of them).

But the simplest answer I can give is that it’s a co-operative immersive writing hobby. Everyone writes their character and just generally tries to have a cool/fun/emotional time.

It can vary wildly between guilds. For example you’ll be hard-pressed to see a defias brotherhood guild take a demon hunter, or an orcish warband with a blood elf in it.

If you ever, for just a moment, had a thought while playing, that went something like:
what would MY character say, you tried RPing if only a very little bit.

If you ever played an RPG with choices and decide to do a evil or purely good playthrough despite not agreeing with everything your character did but still went through with it, you’ve tried RPing.

In short, if you ever disassociated yourself from a character you’ve played, you likely tried a little bit of Roleplay.

I’d say there are limits, people tend to rp what is within reason of the lore.
you don’t usually see, 4 eyed, demi-vampiric space monkies
mainly because such creatures doesn’t exist in WoWs lore and portraying such an abomination is hard, as all you have is your character model and whatever armor and weapons you can slap on them.

So we usually stay within reason and keep it lore friendly.
for this purpose I like to point to wowpedia, as a decent source of lore if you are ever in doubt.

Thank you everyone for your kind replies and explaining thing to me, i really appreciate it. :heart:

22 Likes

If you’re asking about people who-… let’s say, do Castle Nathria? They don’t RP it out, since it’s just content. (Plus people shouldn’t RP as ultra-OP champions anyway)

I disagree, if you’re just a guild and find it fun to spice up your standard raiding, there’s no problem with just RPing through the raid. You can also just RP a very powerful character in general, and there have been guilds created around that type of roleplay as well - Lionheart comes to mind.

The problem with hero RP only comes when you’re starting to god-emote or bring weird superiority type things into public RP. Generally this type of RP is self-contained, as why would the heroes of Azeroth get into random bar brawls and the like?

Again echoing Tehya here, since I love to describe RP as ‘collective improvised story writing’. You have standard roleplay where you just imagine your character as they go on about their day, what they do and how they act, what they say etcetera. Usually when guilds are involved, there are also events that are more planned out with a storyline in mind.

Many event DMers (dungeon masters, event planners who are usually in the role of the narrator and such) use /rolls to determine whether an action is successful, though it’s not required and many guilds also know their members enough for there not to be a need for it. Using /rolls for combat and whatnot however is probably the most beginner-friendly for both newbie RPers and event DMers.

5 Likes

Really depends on how charismatic they are, and if there’s a flock of people around them to back it up with wild stories and epic legends. Love seeing powerful characters being portrayed well, with a good track record of that power being showcased in an overpowered, but entertaining fashion.

That doesn’t count all ultra-gigaOP cybernetic warform holier-than-thou or cartoon yabadabadoo villains, of course. (they can be fun too)

6 Likes

I meant it more as-… some random joe who ICly has killed Sire Denathrius, defeated Sylvanas and foiled the Jailer’s schemes going out for a drink in Stormwind.

OH! Oh, yes, that’s only alright if you’re coincidentally listening to Foo Fighters - My Hero while some dude like that walks past.

2 Likes

I quite like using my OP characters as narrative devices. And showcasing some of the ridiculous, but logical, conclusions that can be drawn from the lore.

But lots of folks often have a bone to pick with them, because they can’t just “main-character” their way around to bully every npc set in front of them.

Yeah nothing wrong with the occasional ultra powerful champ imo, WoW is full of them, adventurers/heroes/powerful Warlocks/Liches ect, Ive enjoyed interacting with “Hero” types in the past on my more toned down soldier/ranger type chars, I’ve also enjoyed engaging with Grunts/Soldier types on my own “Hero/Adventurer” type, it adds another dynamic, like “ranks/status” almost, as a basic soldier type you know that the hero would whoop you and has served their faction fantastically in the past in ways you can only imagine, and vice versa as a hero/adventurer type you know youd likely whoop the average soldier but you respect them because its soldiers/units ect that make up the bulk of the factions forces and as a hero you would have served beside many units/soldiers in your adventures/wars aswell as maybe even having spent time as a basic soldier yourself, its actually really fun the few times Ive seen a toned down soldiery/unit of soldiers fighting beside a more mighty hero type, with respect shown both ways

I’m not sure if it’s been said but Argent Dawn differs from other RP servers (mostly those in the NA region).

On Argent Dawn the story of WoW and how it’s been portrayed is essentially ‘law’ and the majority of people fit their characters and guilds around that narrative.
However, in other NA servers you’ll find that many guilds and characters are full of headcanon that loosely fit WoW’s lore (I’m talking people playing kings and queens etc).

My advice is to find a bit of lore in WoW that interests you quite a bit and make a simple character from that. For example, if you like belf lore and you play a rogue you can be a spire agent that’s sent to explore Azeroth or something.

2 Likes

These will help:

In addition, we are always ready to help newcomers to roleplay, giving them pointers and tips on how to get into the roleplay scene.
A good rule to remember is that ‘Simple is good’.

Have a go at it here and we can help you out.

1 Like

Playing on pve servers up until 2019 where I joined AD and started to rp - surpised me how kind and helpful people are on this server. Truly the best EU server imho.

Argent dawn

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.