Auction House Performance Issue - 1 September

Sorry I refuse to play into your tin hat derangement lol … AI … sigh

Cope, seethe and remember you are wrong.

Can we just ban TSM, Autcioneer and all addons interfering with the Auction House to stop the botters overloading the thing?
Too many people with a second account scanning the AH 24/7 to control the economy, making a miserable experience for the average player.

Blocking API interaction with the Auction House would certainly improve performance and create a healthier economy in WoW.

1 Like

I have given up. If i need something i ask for it in the trade chat and pay a slight premium over the action house and be done with It

go on instal tsm and try it tsm has the same issue as the regular AH it is the bots using scripts

1: They literally make a post about the problem is created by a wrong code they put in the game and by their hardware fault.
2: The ah addon, have the same problems of the classic ah interface.
3: Before talk, read and think. Don’t do other witch hunts.

Region wide Auction House with all these bots and TSM users are the reason.

2 Likes

Its all the bots + TSM users they are the same problem. Also there is a solution tho, they need to ban TSM or other AH addons.

2 Likes

You dont understand, people read that info, but they dont believe them :smiley:

1 Like

… any news, been trying to buy a shield for 3 days :smiley:

2 Likes

this has to be a joke. fix your game, take it offline for a night, pay your engineers a generous overtime, disable TSM, add cooldown on scanning and posting, DO SOMETHING! its the start of an expansion and we cannot use one of the core mechanics in the game!

2 Likes

I’m literally starting to think people don’t read but look only images

1 Like

They have now throttled the AH to “keep it alive” until maintenance.
Keep it alive? Local equipment AH has been dead for 5 days.

1 Like

The only delusion is thinking that addons that scan the AH with people going through umpteen different pages of things up for sale, is in some way not contributing to the overload.

Not saying its the only cause, but at least the AH was lagy usable before the early access came to a end.

Everyone enjoys addons, but not when they are contributing to making part of the game unplayable.

They throttled the AH a few hours ago so addons can’t scan/post etc fast at all.
It didn’t do anything, still as laggy as ever.

I’m sorry if your business goes down Draeklin but your volatility proves it, TSM is fully automated with certain custom scripts. That’s how easy it is.

It’s only an addon. Why not break it and SEE if it helps?

Okay, so after reading 400+ replies. The state of play can best be summarised as “It’s the fault of add-ons!” - “No it’s not, it’s Blizzard’s crappy code!
Alright then. (Sigh)

As best I can tell, all add-ons are limited to emulating what we dweeb humans can do, (just without breaking tendons posting for hours on end,) but a little faster. In setting the API limits, Blizzard have determined that the fastest humans could perform certain actions is x milliseconds but that is probably only possible for the youngest 0.5% of the player-base. Notwithstanding the lunacy of that decision by Blizz, it’s clear that unscrupulous folk will always find a way to use these ‘allowed actions’ to such an extent that it changes the add-on from being a useful tool to being a gun. (Remember, ‘guns’ don’t kill Auction Houses… ‘People’ kill Auction Houses.)

So, yanks don’t/won’t/can’t ban guns (or cars for that matter, they’re used in robberies and drive-bys all the time) and Blizzard can’t/won’t (or maybe shouldn’t) ban these add-ons. - Okey Dokey.

Okay then. How about you make a radical (but simple) change or two then…

1. Add a hidden field to EVERY single item in the database that is not BoP/W@P, (sorry, Warbound on Pickup’s abbreviation is apparently a prohibited word.) This is totally do-able with a script run on the back-end at weekly reset. You could call it, say, “AHP” for ‘Auction House Purchase’. This field is marked ‘0’ on item creation.
  2. Whenever seller buys a listing, AH server/code amends the field from ‘0’ to ‘1’ before depositing into buyer’s mailbox.
  3. When any player adds any item to the sell box in the AH; straight after the “Is it Soulbound/Warbound” check, add another check to see if the AHP field is 0 or 1. If 0, continue. If 1, post a message stating “Items purchased from the Auction House cannot be re-sold through the Auction House.” The item will still not be bound, so can be given away/traded to another player using the in-game trade window.

2 Major problems solved right there. If listing-cancel ‘bots’ cannot re-sell the stuff other people posted at ‘their’ low price and they immediately sniped, then there is absolutely no reason for them to list-cancel anymore. This should remove 90% of low-price ‘scam’ listings, making what is visible more trustworthy and easing the burden on back-end servers.
Additionally, without this scummy ‘buy low, sell ridiculously high’ behaviour, the AH should start to behave like a ‘normal’ economy and too-high prices will be genuinely undercut, per classic market-forces law, and buyers are more likely to get fair deals on common goods, while sellers will still have the opportunity to make ludicrous sums of money from rarer, in-demand items.

If that seems too much like using a nuke to crack a walnut, you could always modify the ‘AHP’ field, and make it a ‘Time Purchased’ timestamp instead. The AH message would have to be amended to read "Items purchased from the Auction House cannot be re-sold through the Auction House for 72 hours. You have X hours remaining.’ What use would 5k widgets, bought at 10 gold each, be to a (filthy, low-life, scummy, sell-their-mother-for-a-dollar) ‘player’ when they have no idea what the economy-driven price is going to be in three. whole. days!

As a closer, if that all seems too much like hard work for the 4 programmers and single QA tester that Blizzard still employs, then at least put a hard-limit on cancelling and posting listings. I think anybody that makes more than two ‘mistakes’ an hour while posting is either a moron or a… [refer to above paragraph].
Two cancellations per hour. Hard. Limit.
Listings are a bit harder. There are those who do nothing but play the AH and want to make money. That is their prerogative and I won’t argue. Without them, the listings would look a lot… smaller. But dear God in heaven just how much money do they really need?

My two cents: the needs of the much greater majority of the AH user-base trump the ‘wants’ of an admittedly sizeable subset. Limit sales listings to 100 per hour, with a 500 listing per 24 hour cap. They’ll find a way to live with it, as they’ll still make 100s of thousands or tens of millions per week, just less of them. :cry:

There. I said it. Fire up your keyboards…

the current ah issue is not caused by bots buying them too quickly.
ive been trying to buy bags for an alt for days. the same amount of bags are listed for the same price for over 24H so its definitely not bots who are the issue there. they explained on twitter what the issue was and they will throw more hardware at the problem until someone can fix it. the hardware either hasnt been added yet or it has done nothing because ah is still slow even in the middle of the night so its not even an issue about too many people using it.

1 Like

At this point what do we even need a region wide AH?

If the problems that arise have the consequence to make it unusable, it kind of defeats the purpose.

Another thing is that we already can move almost any material/gold between servers through warbands. So at this point wouldn’t the easiest choice be to revert to server side AH to not have these problems?

This would also have the consequence of giving another thing for goblins to do. Now instead of trying to snipe scam people, they would just scour every server AH for a good deal, and try to move it to another server that there is demand for it. In essence trying to equalize all server AHs.

But yeah, for one week now it is kind of unplayable with how that part of the game functions.

Edit: ok blizz managed to fix it minutes after the post. I guess good job!

UPDATED

1 September

We believe we’ve resolved the issue previously affecting Auction House performance.

6 Likes