Auction House Performance Issue - 1 September

Y’all should chill. What happened last night was a temporary fix that improved the situation somewhat until the maintenance. A proper fix (new hardware) will only be implemented after the maintenance. AH is usable atm, unlike yesterday, even if slow.

Well, now you can’t search items, it says there’s nothing there. lol, guess we’ll need to wait a bit longer.

1 Like

AddOns spamming the Auction House with hundreds if not thousands of automated queries on the database surely isn’t an issue /s. I honestly can’t fathom why it would be a bad idea to make it a protected interface element like the dungeon queue and disallow AddOns from interfering with it.

2 Likes

Addons probably isn’t the cause of the direct issue. Probably the direct issue is the change they made in Dragonflight to have a region-wide AH. That probably be too much transactions on a single database, wich can’t be distributed by nature.

But that doesn’t means addons doesn’t aggravate the problem. If the problem is that there are too many AH transactions limiting the addons will reduce the number of transactions. So, if the AH could handle the number of transactions without addons but can’t handle the number of transactions with addons the easy solution is to limit the addons. That will reduce the number of transactions, alliviating the problem. Wich is exactly what Blizzard dis last night by throthling AH transactions, affecting primarily addons transacttions.

What about all the items we lost and never got back? im missing somewhere between 500k to a million in items that have neve come back to me, guess blizz will never address that.

Any news on the items the Auction House ate? It gobbled up some of my BoE I wanted to sell, they just vanished into thine air when I put them up - they haven’t appeared in my mail box either.

1 Like

Where is the evidence that addons are the reason for the AH’s performance? I’ll say it again: they’ve been around a long time, so why are they being made the scapegoat?

Addons are the reason my freshly dinged 70 lock can’t buy any gear on the AH because all of the items are ‘item not found?’ That’s a problem of items that are simply not there.

Ultimately, when the issue is fixed, we’ll see whether Blizz bans any addons. My thoughts are that there’s a technical error on the back end. Someone mentioned in the global chat that they accidentally added millions of bad DB records to AH data. Is that true? Who knows. But it’s more plausible than addons which have been around forever suddenly causing me to be unable to buy items that do not appear to exist.

The AH is still super slow and throttled.
It’s not fluid, it’s not enjoyable.

2 Likes

13 PM. AH slowness is back to what is was yesterday. Every action takes atleast 5+ seconds.

1 Like

ah eu is dead. cant search and cant do anything .lol great save. Ban tsm already and all the sniping addons

2 Likes

Sure, they can easily turn off the auction house APIs, but then it would become so unusable without addons, that blizzard would have to implement the same features with the stock auction house UI, ultimately requiring the same amount of database queries.

Alternatively, they could implement API throttling so they can prevent some people from bombarding the auction house with requests all day, without affecting 95% of the population who just play normally

The addons are not the main reason of the problem, but banning them probably will alliviate the problem, or even solve it.
The only thing that could provoke this problem is to have more transactions concurrently that the AH Database could handle and that probably was caused by an increase of population due to expansion’s launch, not the addons.

But addons users generate more transactions that non-addon users so if the problem is that there are too many transactions the only solutions is to reduce transactions or increate Database hardware. And to do the first action the easiest would be to ban addons, or at least penalize them by reducing the number of transactions they could perform.

Not really. If that is made on Blizzard’s UI performance will be better because they could optimize the queries to obtain the same information on less queries, maybe making a single query for information that addons obtains throught a full scan, or having a cache for information that addons require more commonly. For example, commong things that addon do like scan the full AH to obtain all the information about one type of material, Blizzard could made it by having a cache of that information and that way, the same scan will be valid for hundred of users who are asking for the same information at the same time.

Any addon implementation in Blizzard’s UI will always be more optimized because Blizzard isn’t limited to their current API, they could change both the UI, the APIs, the server and the database. Addons are limited to implement their things only with UI changed calling an API only designed for the actions that Blizzard’s UI requires.

Has anyone noticed they have made it slightly different?

On my favourites list, I see one price, and then when clicking to buy the item, a different price. You might think this is caused by rapidly fluctuating prices, but it isnt. I tested this for a good hour and saw the same result.

Example:

Kaheti Citin on favourites page was 88s, but when I click the item the lowest listed price was 4g88. I buy one, and it costs 88s. This has happened multiple times, on lots of different items. I bought a stack of 100 Bismuth Bitterling which should have cost 2,800g according to the listing, but I actually paid 820 because some cretin had baited people at 8g20 and obviously 100 were listed at that price.

It hasnt stopped the baiters at all so there must be a way around it, but maybe they have tried at least

13:36 PM (EU Ger). Lag disappeared for the most part suddenly. Still a small delay but completely usuable now. Changed in a matter of minutes. Still fine 14:00 PM now.

12:50 BST AH is slow again, not as bad as pre-“fix” but noticeably slower.

1 Like

AH is Deadz

1 Like

Not fixed. Back to Item Not Found.

1 Like

I am a paying customer. I pay to enjoy the game and while there’s some room for problems this AH situation is just unacceptable. Since day 1, day 1! it does not work at all.

From a company, any really, I expect them to do stress tests and plan accordingly. I don’t know, phase the thing and make mini markets instead of having one regional market. Maybe it’s not the best idea to make the AH a region based LIFO queue on a launch. Hell rate limit user requests to 1 every 5 seconds if it makes the thing run smoother.

This is just unplayable. And it keeps getting worse. And it is bad at any given time.

19 Likes

Firstly, we’re all paying customers, so you throwing that around as if it has any more weight to it is pretty cringe.

Secondly, it does work. I’ve been using the AH since TWW launched. It’s a bit slow because of the usual bot brigade and scalpers trying to money-scrape the system, but blaming Blizzard for that isn’t going to solve it.

Thirdly, you’re complaining in the wrong place, if that’s your intent. Or perhaps you just want some sympathetic pats on the head and a hug. Put a ticket in, or post this in the bugs forum, where they can ignore it there as well.

2 Likes

It’s not cringe. Why would it be cringe.

The AH does not work. The price is not up to date. The price lags behind. You don’t see your auctions. You can’t cancel them because of that. You can’t buy without spending 5-10 minutes sometimes. It shows the wrong notification with the wrong cached price. It shows wrong durations, some auctions, if they show up at all, have durations of years (max is 2 days). But sure, it’s just a bit slow.

It does not work and as a paying customer you can call our when the service is bad. It’s pretty cringe to call this in a working state.

Slow is not a working state, slow is a bad state. If bots are the problem, solve it. It’s not rocket science.

I am complaining in the correct place: The general discussion in the forum of the service.

5 Likes