Automated ban system is completely broken

I know we all hate bots etc, but blizzards automated ban system is horrible. We need a human to review the the account before banning.

I, like the rest of you read tons of posts of people being banned for the most stupid things ever. Also heard from loads of people in game claiming they got banned for nothing.

Like most I assumed they were all lying, and they were infact guilty of botting or something similiar.

Until it happend to my gf.

I convinced my girlfriend after much discussion that she should try out wow. After two weeks of casual leveling her account was suspended for 6 months.

She played for maybe 30 min to 2 hours max at a time, two or three times a week. She never traded gold with anyone. She was like lvl 17 or similiar.

The only remotely strange thing she did was exploring the world, like a first timer would. She would run into high level zones just to see whats there, or try climbing a mountain to see the view.

Clearly being banned and having to go through the work of appealing etc, isnā€™t someone a normal casual person would do. She just turned her back to the game.

This system is horrible. If the economics wont allow you to hire enough people to review bans before implementation, then slow the process down until you can.

The system needs to be changed, I feel as if you panicked when you recieved backlash from streamers/youtubers regarding botting and implemented some random-panic coding that clearly isnā€™t working properly.

3 Likes

Activision is too greedy to have humans at work.
Automatic system doesnt cost anything.

1 Like

As far as I am aware a ban for botting isnā€™t done automatically it is actually carried out after a real person (group of people) carry out an investigation and the bans are usually carried out in waves every few months, the last one was the 1st of last month I believe.

They do them in waves for a reason, mainly so they can gather enough info on the programmes used to break them and make sure they donā€™t catch innocent people in the bans, they watch the reported botters to be 100% sure they are breaking rules. However it has been known that innocent people have been caught up in a ban wave before (last January for instance) and they did have their accounts reinstated after an investigation.

I kind of feel something doesnā€™t add up here though, after weā€™ve just seen a ban wave for bots your wife who is new to the game gets a ban for botting now? Are you sure that was the reason? There are a lot of things that fall under the ā€œcheatingā€ ban hammer including some 3rd party softwares, bug abuses (even if you donā€™t realise you are doing it or that it isnā€™t intended)

I would tell her to fight the ban via ticket especially if she was enjoying the game, which it sounds like she was, because she either hit on a mistake that may be rectified as a new player who really wouldnā€™t know better or just got caught by bot ban by mistake which there is a precedence of them overturning.

7 Likes

You never gave her any of your gold?

Climbing some hills requires you to exploit terrain.

You didnā€™t give the reason she got in the email. All she needs to do is appeal it, if she did nothing wrong, or had nothing active on her machine that could be used for botting,it should be activated again.

3 Likes

I have really heavy doubts that we are getting the full story here.

5 Likes

I was just like you in all the other posts before this. I assumed that there was no way theyā€™d implement a random automated system.

I never traded her, she was playing on alliance, an diffrent realm from my main. I lvled with her through the starting zone but then she only played while I was raiding. She got using 3rd party software.

Saying that itā€™s only to appeal, is like saying to a person who got kicked out of a restaurant to just go back and say ā€œiā€™m innocent, can i order here again?ā€.

I know for addicted gamers like you and me, we would try and get the account back, but for a new beginner itā€™s enough to make them turn their backs and never come back. Especially how the classic lvling experience is a little harsh.

The topic isnā€™t about her specific cause per say. Itā€™s about implementing a system where stuff like this can happen. Where a new member to the community that hasnā€™t traded any gold, hasnā€™t done anything wrong can be falsely flagged and banned.

its no big deal. mistakes do happen. she does have the chance to appeal her ban. if she really didnt do anything shady it will be lifted, if she did tho, then it wont. simple as that.

no system is perfect. of course there will always be some innocent people caught in the ban wave but that doesnt mean that the system is bad.
if its really a 6 month ban then she has gotten an e mail from blizzard stating what she has done wrong.

if its because of botting, its not automated. most longer bans arent automated unlike silences for example.

its not random and/or automated tho?

edit: typo

3 Likes

I wonder if she is running something in the background (unconnected to WoW and therefore completely innocently done) that has been picked up by the software blizzard uses to identify bots. Iā€™ve read somewhere before that some software can trigger that and its always best to make sure you have zero running in the background.

Others know more about that issue and the types of programs that trigger it but I do recall reading about it either here or on the old forums.

4 Likes

Remote access software is one case in point. Teamviewer, those kind of things. Also programs like t-morph cause bans now.

You still didnā€™t say the length of the ban or what it was for.

1 Like

That is probably what happend. Thatā€™s my guess also. But that brings the topic back. This isnā€™t okay man. Like if they have that system they need to check the account by human eyes first.

FYI: She was playing on her macbook pro. Which doesnā€™t have any other games installed, only work-related programs like photoshop etc.

So what iā€™m saying isā€¦ if she got flagged for something in the background then the system is fundamentally broken.

So a VPN maybe. Was it a six month ban for botting?

Yeah six month ban for botting. She doesnā€™t use a VPN. Works for a small firm, they dont use that type of stuff.

Only one char, a female human rogue.

Maybe they think using a mac is reason enough. :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™m gonna hazard a guess that she runs some software that can be used to edit game files, similar to tmorph which is banable.

Tbh, people need to make sure all that software is off before opening wow because it does leave you open to a ban for cheating, if you can modify game files you can gain an advantage.

Your GF is sadly one of those who is new and unaware of the risk and can only try a ticket and explain she didnā€™t realise the background software was prohibited.

They really need to be more transparent about telling people to make sure certain types of software is not running in the background whilst playing though.

Out of curiosity what does she do for work?

1 Like

Itā€™s fine if the system flags an account for it, but thatā€™s what Iā€™m saying it needs to have a human reviewing it before they ban.

Sheā€™s does socialmedia, seo, googleads, etc.

Iā€™ve played on a mac for 5 years and never been banned in game for anything :rofl: always force quit my work stuff just incase but I doubt it would get me in trouble unless blizzard read my dodgy novel lol

1 Like

If you have access to the laptop I would check it out to see whats installed on it.

Blizzard canā€™t really supply a list of software thatā€™s not allowed as people would use ones that arenā€™t on the list to cheat. If I remember correctly Blizzard say something like Unauthorised 3rd party software. Which could really be anything.

If something allows remote access or something that alters the memory that could be it.

funny you should say this. I just got reported for making a joke in general chat and got automatically banned for ā€˜abusiveā€™ language. the joke wasnā€™t even ā€˜abusiveā€™ at all but support agreed with them so it is i guess. 2020 the year you canā€™t tell jokes in a social game in fear of being banned

Inappropriate counts for that.

inappropriate to who? we have to walk on eggshells so as to not offend anyone?

1 Like