Bastion and the Night Warrior

Are they? Bwonsamdi couldn’t even keep track of Vol’jin, who was more of a celebrity target, it didn’t seem like he would necessarily notice some missing trolls. But this question is one that might actually be explored in the addon.

But just to throw one theory out there: Deals. We know that there are soul brokers within the Shadowlands, and we know how fond Bwonsamdi is of his little deals. He might just “collect” as many trolls as he can get.

Just read above for a few possibilities:

1. The Shadowlands are all part of Elune’s creation. Any realm is her realm.
  2. Elune actually doesn’t care that much about her followers.
  3. Maybe most Nelves go there, but this one specific follower might actually be happier in blissful amnesia-land, so that’s why Elune didn’t stake her claim.

I find the issue in the fact that it sets a precedent.

The story seemed to be one about rewarding greatness achieved in life.
Even Odyn acknowledges competence/importance. And he is a monumental douche.

But if the Embodiment of Elune, and the Chosen Elven Warrior, is told to get the job about watering the tulips, then whats the point?

Well…

The enemy we fight in Bastion includes the Forsworn, which are apparently aspirants that were unable or unwilling to go through the whole brainwash process and kept their own personality.
We even face a guy whose only “crime” was his unwilligness to let go of the love for his wife.
https://shadowlands.wowhead.com/npc=159899/disciple-nikolon

But we might indeed be in for a twist, given Uther seems to be part of the Forsworn.

1 Like

If that was the point I don’t see how it could ever have succeeded. An eternal reward that everyone sees as rewarding? Totally impossible. I mean… forcing her to lead for all eternity, always being the Night Warrior and never being able to just relax would have sounded hellish to me, for example, while a life of contentment in a simple position doesn’t sound so bad as a reward to me. She achieved greatness in life, I don’t see why it would be demeaning not having to do it again in death.

But I’m not sure that that is what they were going for.

No, we won’t. The guy who is unwilling to do what it takes to become a Kyrian in the order is told to leave. Not Bastion, just the temples where the other aspirants train to become Kyrians. His punishment for not wanting to try again to rid himself of his attachments… is not bing part of the order. That’s all. There is no alleged crime at that point.
The most blemishing thing we can say to that situation is that the Kyrians are obviously not open to doubters and like to hide them away.

It is the failed aspirant that then announces his new loyalty to the Forsworn… who then attack the Temple of Purity. It is quite clear who the aggressor is here, and it it’s not the Kyrians. You can see it all here, including the cutscene that follows.
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Step_Back_From_That_Ledge,_My_Friend

I’m sure the Forsworn will be made more relatable later on, especially since Uther is one of them, but that’s not the point you are referencing.

It was a figure of speech.

Its not about it being a literal crime, and more to do with the fact that said kind of “free-thinking” is obviously frowned upon by the covenant. If it wasn’t, the instructor wouldn’t be forced to tell the disciple to leave unseen, nor would they tag these cases as “Fallen”.

In all, it does seem that at least at first, the aspirants in the “wrong” are those that do not conform to the norms of this cult.

We might have a different view later on with Uther. But as of now, the “good guys” seem to be the sectarian in white.

I don’t think the appeals of retirement and gardening is the kind of fantasy that would sell well with races that were portrayed in life in a more belligerent way.
At least, thats the impression the setting gave me.

Also, having a prominent religious solider seemingly renouncing both her racial creed and her warrior traits, to be given a more generic/mundane role in a cult that seems to have little to do with her former life, sits rather badly in my book.

I get that Blizzard wrote themselves into a corner with the kind of afterlife races may have, and plenty races will be shoehorned into themes that may have little to do with their former lives, but it still looks weird.
Will probably get a similar feeling when they throw orcs into the undead fighting pits of Maldraxxus and call it fine.

2 Likes

Well… yeah, they believe they are there to attain moral perfection, so I am sure that’s a fair thing to say about them. It’s also why I am quite sure it won’t stand in the end. They can’t actually be right in thinking themselves superior, or the message would be to follow their example. And I don’t really see Blizzard doing that one…

Not to mention that it would make for a horribly boring narrative. The good guys being unreasonably attacked and being all good guy about it? Yeah, I feel that’s bad enough on Alliance, and not really working there, I don’t need to repeat that in the Shadowlands.

Yeah, and I agreed to disagree on that, so I guess I should also let that one rest.

if this would be correct, it would meen that the night warrior is directly connected to the maw or one covenant in shadowlands.
but i think it is the maw, to feed souls, this also is why so many night elfs now feel elune abandoned them, becuse the night warrior is directly linked to the jailer.

Why would it mean a relation to the Jailer at all? Death is broken right now, so “all” souls go to the maw. That the night warrior carries fallen night elves to the afterlifen or the stars (according to their belief) doesn’t mean they’re connected to the evil of the expansion. It’s a thing in many religions.

Probably a controversial suggestion here (and no doubt has been considered before), but could Elune be the Arbiter?

why did selenis become a blue human, but all other npcs we know about so far, have a model in line with what they looked like in life?
oh right they didn’t crap on nelves for some time now, they needed their fix.

But wasn’t the entire point of nelves becoming whisps and living in a trees because they didn’t have afterlife?

That was indeed odd case that he missed VolJin, but we know for sure that Bwon made a work around to get flow of Anima. Hence why he is a target in book and later his realm is assaulted.

My thoery is that unlike other convenants he actually was interacting with mortals and his “deals” were a binding contract.

But certain trolls can be stuck in a limbo like Salazane or that little girl to get pushed to other side. So I guess Bwon assumed Vol’Jin was like that too and he had some unresolved stuff.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.