Being kicked from Random dungeon groups

They are meant to get the deserter when kicked.

2 Likes

Happened to me a lot during island expeditions in bfa. Often these players were from the server Kazzak, go figure…

1 Like

I only do this if its a vulpera

3 Likes

This is happening since they introduced LFG in wotlk :smiley: so

Then it’s a bad game design. Surely it did occur to them it can be abused and what did they do?

Somebody went to the toilet and pulled a percentage (we know where they pulled it from exactly) that it happens “rarely enough to not be an issue” and that was their world-class decision making process. :clap:

In the meantime in one of my previous jobs we wrote parsers and recognizers for traders that abuse insider trading by using several accounts and trying to artificially inflate prices so their other account (that has a big stock of the options/futures) can dump them and make a huge profit.

That code was probably 50x more complex than what Blizzard must do to prevent abuse of the kicking system. But hey, it’s more important to hire people based on gender and skin color these days I guess, not actual technical skills. And the results are telling.

You are presuming that everyone who is kicked is innocent. That is on you. They are not. There will be times when someone is kicked for no reason, I can count on one hand how many times that has happened to me in over a decade of playing this game.

The punishment is there to make them take a short time out, cool off, and then be able to queue up again. It’s so they don’t end up straight back in the dungeon they were just removed from.

People are removed for afking, going off on their own, being down right rude to others, griefing etc.

I remember the hell that were dungeons before we could remove people, it was awful.

This system may not be perfect but it’s better than any alternatives.

I didn’t presume it, I implied there are code heuristics that can be put in place. In my case a simple DPS check (not doing less than the healer) and attendance check (I am not AFK-ing and I am always physically around the group) would’ve prevented a completely unjustified kick.

You don’t know that for a fact, especially the latter half. There’s a huge amount of space between “a half-arsed system that can be abused” and “no system at all” (and “a really well-working system”).

As a senior programmer I’ll never accept this defeatist and passive point of view of “eh, it could be worse” – sure it can but that’s never the point. I’ve been hired in companies where during my first two weeks I’ve improved something that people complained about for YEARS. Surely I am not the only one that can code well on this planet and I know that for a fact because I’ve met people 15 years younger than me that I learned a lot from. I am not a fantastic programmer by any means.

And as a guy who’s been in a good amount of companies and seen them from the inside, the problem are always some scared gatekeepers that say “don’t touch it, it will break!”. Which they only do because they are always chasing a promotion or a bonus after the next quarter and are thus heavily incentivized to NEVER rock the boat. Perverse incentives at their finest.

Same and I’ll agree it’s not statistically significant but it doesn’t have to be to leave a sour taste – which it does. That’s the outcome that must be prevented, not point at a small % and saying “it’s not significant”. Furthermore, and as other people mentioned elsewhere, not all of us play for 12 hours straight. Some days I play only 1h even, and even playing 4-5h is a rarity nowadays. Getting unjustly kicked wastes me time that I specifically allocated for an activity that I, up to this point, deemed as “chill”.

(In some of the systems I’ve implemented we also made algorithms to detect people attempting to abuse “report X” or “ban person Y for reason Z” buttons and then ban the exploiters from using the community functions for a week. It took 3-ish weeks from idea to a verified implementation. You know what happened? 99% of them gave up after a month and never returned. Blizzard had a sky-high budget and they could have done so much more. Yet they never did and it’s annoying to see people trying to rationalize plain old ignorance and incompetence.)

I ask you, especially as an MVP because your voice carries weight, to call things as they are. The capabilities to improve things are in place, the will is not. Do you disagree with that assessment?

1 Like

Dps is no guarantee that the kick is not justified. Tanking as a dps spec, healing in dps spec, mouthing off at everyone. Being toxic etc.

It used to be that if you stayed in combat you couldn’t be kicked, so those being kicked would run from mob to mob trying to keep in combat as long as possible or at the very least wipe the group before they could carry on.

You can play your expert card all you like. You clearly don’t grasp the issues and this is the best system we’ve had to date. I think it’s good that they’ve tweaked it over the years to improve it and I hope they continue to do so. But the change have to be beneficial. A dps check is not beneficial.

Nothing you have suggested improves that so far.

You are free to point them out. And I never claimed a perfect system can be made. I do claim however that improvements on the current one are possible. And you’re claiming it’s already as perfect as it can be. I disagree on that.

Furthermore, it’s not arguing in good faith to presume I can’t have my mind changed. I am pointing out previous experience that demonstrates that a lot more effort can be put in these systems compared to what Blizzard has done. That doesn’t mean to write me off as an unproductive discussion partner.

Be fair.

2 Likes

They implemented it after people were asking to get kicked if they got occulus in wotlk.

1 Like

LOL! Good point though. :laughing:

Whenever i see 4 ppl from the server in my group, i usually leave before anything stupid happens. Feel bad man, but thats it.

2 Likes

Yeah, fair point – but you can’t blame be for not being super alert when leveling alts and contributing well 95% of the time. :man_shrugging:t3:

For 8 toons and 2 months of leveling through LFD I’ve only had one run that failed because of low DPS; I was lazy and didn’t setup heirlooms on my level 40 Fire Mage and she was pretty bad on her first run. Coincidentally everybody else wasn’t that good as well and we disbanded after wiping 3 times before the 2nd boss.

My point is, it isn’t Mythic+ pushing so I didn’t think much to check if I’m grouped with 4-man premade on my baby hunter (who is doing pretty good DPS).

But meh, can’t care much about it. My only problem is with Blizzard not making the kick system harder to abuse, nothing else.

You and everybody else is right otherwise – smile and move on.

We had all sorts of bad behaviour, players refusing to do their role, or simply afkign at the entrance. If it was a dps you could sometimes manage but if it was key role like tank or healer you were completely at their mercy and stuck. If you left you got the deserter even though it was the other person being a troll.

This system is far better. You can get rid of badly behaving people.

Only encountered a massive amount of people asking to be kicked from occulus to not get deserter or they’d AFK, lol. I assumed that’s why it was implemented due to how prevalent it was for people to ask to get kicked there. Like, there was at least one person asking to be kicked every time I got it, sometimes 2 and on rare occasions 3… Not even exaggerating. Saw 4 people all wanting to be kicked once, that was quite lolworthy.

Had it in Classic dungeons too and in MoP ones. I guess there are always going to be ones some don’t like. Or they go afk after accepting the queue and you’re just all stuck there.

The thing is, if there is anything a player can abuse, there will always be some players that do. So if they can get into a dungeon and there is a chance they are unpunishable/unremovable then they will take advantage of that. We have to have measures in place to be able to remove this kind of behaviour. The only reason we don’t see that now is because Blizzard let us kick.

Over time even vote to kick evolved. The button that is available to click straight away is to disagree with a kick, this means that players that don’t read and just want to get rid of the stuff on their screen don’t just randomly vote yes.

I had this today when leveling my low level mage. I was just following the tank along spamming arcane explosion (and due to low level scaling, I was doing the most damage by far), only to be suddenly removed en route to the last boss.

I whispered the group to ask why I was removed, only to be met with radio silence from every member… How pathetic!

1 Like

Ten thousand bucks says you were blinking ahead and pulling mobs ahead of the tank and you were likely asked to stop.

There is always more to the story in these instances. Sure, the WoW community has gotten more toxic over the years, but nobody is getting booted for just chilling, letting the tank pull, and doing their job.

I recently levelled a few toons with my wife and her friend and never once had a bad experience, but we did remove a couple of players from groups for saying we were too slow or for running ahead and making the dungeon experience bad for the rest of us.

1 Like

Nope, not a word was mentioned in party chat whatsoever. Everything was dying in 2-3 hits, and none of our party was dying.

If there’s something that people dislike, they should say something first. Not instantly resort to kicking someone without saying a single word - that is cowardly and pathetic.

1 Like

So you weren’t aggroing mobs ahead of the tank? You were waiting for the tank to lead the dungeon and then started AoEing while allowing the tank to keep threat and you got randomly booted?

I don’t believe you, not even a little bit.