Best Hunter pet

What is the best Hunter PVE DPS pet at the moment?

Come Zul’gurub, is it viable to tame one of those flying snake things or should I stick with my cat?

It’s all about the speed, and for Raids a utility buff.

https://www.wow-petopia.com/index.php

For personal dps you tame a son of hakkar, they are ranged pets so they are less likely to die.

2.0 cat or a son of hakkar are the best

Boars got the best sounds. And a cool charge!

1 Like

How will a Son of Hakkar compare to a cat in a tank and spank fight where both survive? Just curious how big of a difference to expect.

I don’t know the numbers, but in a tank and spank fight the pet dps from a cat should always be higher.
That is if the pet survives.

Wolf to buff melee group for PvE and Wind Serpent if you are designated pull.

ZG bat or Brokentooth PvP.

Aren’t Owls just as viable as bats in PvP?

Bats have 1.0 sec speed. Owls dont.

6th Highest BWL parse world

Pet 1 = Wolf, the howl ability is essential for transferring aggro to your pet. Mostly for solo farming.

Pet 2 = Cat with a 2.0 attack speed. Using the Devilsaur tooth trinket, you can buff your pet, then unequip the trinket. Providing you the upside of the trinket, without actually having to use it on the boss fight.

Due to how batching works. You can prowl the pet, and attack with bite. Causing both the initial auto attack, AND the bite to crit, multiplied by the prowl. For 300% auto, and 300% bite damage.

Pet 3 = Owl, the screech ability is so nice when called for. It reduces attack power on target by 100.

Son of Hakkar is a scam. The rank 6 lightning breath only provides 4 DPS over lightning breath rank 5. If the pet type was not good prior to ZG, it’s not good now. However, on certain private servers, where armor values were considerably higher. It was indeed best pet.

Any cat it doesn’t really matter because the damage range is directly linked to the attack speed i.e 2.0 will hit harder than 1.0 speed, but there’s no real advantage having a slower pet. The only time you would want the fastest pet is if you spec into frenzy in BM. More crits mean higher up time on speed buff (you won’t be raiding with that anyway).

Cat has the highest damage modifier & also you can have bite and claw.

You don’t want owl because that debuff will take up a slot.

Furious howl isnt really worth it over a cat. Wolf doesn’t have a focus dump so it’s like wasted DPS. Even if your cat dies in like 15-20 seconds it will be a larger DPS buff than having a wolf buff you with furious howl every 10 seconds.

I haven’t tested the wind serpent yet. I mean if you just used the range attack sure it won’t die, but I can’t see it being better than cat. Also I’ve read quite a few bosses have high nature resistance.

Grab a cat, spec for improved revive and try manage him the best you can. Don’t worry if it dies. Most good healers will heal you pet anyway.

Τhe problem with Serpents is that they do nature damage with their lightning breath, and raid bosses tend to have high magical resistances. So, I have the feeling you will be losing DPS compared to a cat. In addition, cats have a higher damage modifier -1.12- vs a Serpent’s 1.10.

Serpents shine in farming out in the world.

One last note: DO NOT use a Serpent in PvP. Mage Buff DAMPEN MAGIC, almost completely eliminates the Serp’s magical damage, and most of the opponents you will meet in PvP are Mages.

I’ve tried a few and I always end up with a cat, usually The Rake from Mulgore then maybe Humar as the difference is 0.1 Attack speed. I always thought a faster attack speed is better as your pet can get aggro quicker if they miss with growl.

Isn’t 1.12 the Vanilla realms modifier not the Classic one?

If you’re BM spec then yeah faster is better. But if you’re like 20/31/0 then I find that pets the do large burst damage at start hold aggro for longer. So the wind serpent is really nice for out in the world farming.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.