Bitdefender av - problems downloading patches read this

Ok for over a week now we have installed wow twice and had to uninstall bitdefender every single time fir any updates - so it’s DEFINITELY bitfender blocking the updates , I’ve contacted them direct so waiting for the update from thing , the sad part of this is that wow/blizzard RECOMMEND this on their website …so BLIZZARD what have you changed to make bitdefender block the updates from one day to the next YOU MUST KNOW

From blizzard webpage
Security Software
Updated: 1 year ago Article ID: 25960
Security programs exist to help keep your account details and personal information safe. We recommend that you run regular scans to make sure your computer is secure.

Antivirus
Viruses are hard to detect, easy to spread, and difficult to remove. They can damage your files, registry, and hardware. The most common way to get a virus is via email or downloaded attachments.

The following are some popular antivirus options for protecting against these threats:

Antivirus Product Free Version or Trial? Free Online Scan?
Avast Antivirus Free Unavailable
Avira Antivirus Free Unavailable
Bitdefender Free

6 Likes

I contacted Bitdefender on Sunday about this, I got an automated reply at the time saying they would look in to it shortly. Wednesday morning I got an email saying they were looking in to my issue and would contact me shortly. I assume that meant that my message went from in a queue to now serving. However, I’ve had no further contact from them. I do not know if that means they have disregarded my message, or are looking in to it.

Another person had a similar issue with Adaware preventing the latest update. Most of the other Blizzard updates on their other games are not causing trouble, just this WoW one.

Nearly up to 9 days unable to update and therefore unable to play. The patch seems to have caused a myriad of issues for many, so no doubt Blizzard have their hands very full. Bitdefender should pull their finger out too.

2 Likes

Just managed to patch Hearthstone without issue again – looked at ports open during it and it was using a lot of connections, predominantly using port 1120 (bnetfile). Still no joy with WoW though.

Similar here Hearthstone patching and working fine. But from Blizzard for wow for Christmas we get tumbleweed.

I have bitdefender too and same problem… . I have updatesalredy instaled with problems but i did it somehow. But game still cant be played because start of game taked 10-20 minutes and than i have 800-5000Ms i found some discussions but no solution. Problem cant be solved by turning off bitdefender do not know why but i do not want change bitdefender because i have 2 years of license. Please can someone help me what i should do with this ?

The Bitdefender issue we have been discussing here just prevents patching. It sounds like you got past that somehow.

There is another issue to do with DirectX and graphics cards that causes a very slow start and issues surrounding that. If you have certain graphics cards and an integrated graphics card at the same time that can occur, ensure you are fully updated on graphics drivers and windows updates. Then if no joy, try adding the DirectX11 launch option, if on a laptop with both graphics cards, then you can try setting power optimisation to max performance before launching - see other threads for details.

i think it is not graphic card issue cuz if i pres play and disconnect my net cabel game starts immediately. And if i click play it immediately take 100% usage of my bandwidth what is cause of my high latency. I found some articles wher says firewall doing this but turning off FW doesnt work. Now i saw this bitdefender problem so i tryed ask cuz maybe solving update problems can solve my problems too .

Yes, I have seen others mentioning the problem with 100% bandwidth usage when attempting to start that can be resolved by taking the cable out prior to loading the game. That’s a bit mental, not sure what causes that, but when the patch doesn’t work, it’s the same thing, with 100% utilisation of network. It constantly opens new connections to receive data, but they get shut without the other end being told, so they are still receiving data until they timeout even though the program or AV has essentially cut them off locally. Once you have a fair few of those, bandwidth is saturated.

I have had the same problems and no help from Blizzard support at all.
First I thought it was caused by the rollout of win 10 v1809 but not when I tried on an other PC. Used all my bandwidth, 20 min for starting up, in the end not even reinstall of battle.net was possible.
Reinstalled wow. No help.
Then uninstalled Bitdefender plus 2019 and now everything is working as it should and as it did before this 8.1 patch moved everything around and changed the directory structure.
I have opened a ticket with Bitdefender in the hope that they are able to fix this otherwise I guess I will have to buy my security software somewhere else in the future. This has been a bad experience and a lot of time being wasted.

2 Likes

I do hope everyone will register a support ticket with Bitdefender. I did, waited a few days and got a note saying that my ticket was now being dealt with, but no response to it at all.

It’s as much Blizzard’s problem as Bitdefender’s. Wish they would both work on it, but Blizzard’s attitude is “stop using your antivirus”, despite the fact it’s one of their recommended AVs.

Hello! I do have the same problem, I’ve just submitted a ticket to Bitdefender - maybe they will do something about it…

Anyway, I wanted to go back WoW after a little brake but I cannot update the game…
I need to have bitdefender turned off in order to update the game, however, the connection crashes after some time and I need to reopen battle.net.
WoW is “playable” for me now, but I cannot open the game, it runs in Task Manager though. Disconnecting helps to open the loading screen, but then some error pops up (not sure if it’s related to this whole situation)

no way out of uninstall of bitdefender, use the built in MS windows defender until this is solved or try another AV. Turning off Bitdefender did not solve my problem. However, an uninstall did.

Do not know if I dare to install it again.

There are around 500 million active licenses for Bitdefender, it’s the fifth most popular AV in the world and recommended by Blizzard on its security advice page. Having the solution being “WoW is incompatible with Bitdefender, please use another AV.” is not an acceptable solution in the long term, but neither party seem to be bothered about it. AV licenses aren’t all that cheap and switching can introduce as many general problems as it solves. Not everyone uses their computer solely for WoW.

After having reinstalled wow and battle.net, uninstalled bitdefender, it is all in working order and wow is working as before the patch.

I did reinstall bitdefender afterwards and all is still working fine.

I got an answer from Bitdefender support:

I have looked into the case and it seems that the situation is caused by an issue which has already been acknowledged by our development team.
Thus, I recommend to add the following addresses to the exclusion list at Online Threat Prevention (Protection - Online threat Prevention pane - exceptions):

I am unable to include the links as this isn’t allowed but I am sure you are able to get them from bitdefender as well.

Well no, as we all have the same issue here and nobody has been given any links to add.

Bitdefender didn’t even bother to respond to my support request about this. If you want to add the links, just put spaces before the dots in the domain.

These are the ones to add in protection - online threat prevention pane - exceptions just replace the spaces with dots except after // which should just be removed

http://eu.launcher.battle.net/ 
http://iir.blizzard.com 
http://eu.patch.battle.net 
http://level3.blizzard.com/ 
http://blzddist1-a.akamaihd.net

:bulb:Nenyasqi: Updated your links to be pasted as Preformatted text

Ah well, added all those in to Online Threat Prevention, makes no odds to progress on the installer. Still jams on downloading patch manifest.

Heya,

If this is still not working out for you, it might be a good idea to try and fully disable (temporarily uninstall) your security programs. If it works afterwards, you will at least know what is causing the problem, and can contact the support for that software to fine tune the settings.

Have a few seconds to spare? Let me know how I’m doing!

Lots of people have this problem, very many things have been tried. There is obviously an issue between Bitdefender and the WoW patching system. It doesn’t effect any other Blizzard game as far as I know, just WoW can’t patch, at least not the big patch that came with 8.1.

Blizzard are clearly doing sod all about it.

Finally, Bitdefender have managed a workaround for this issue whilst they await a proper patch fix.

They sent me an alternative update components XML file, that I think switched off their http proxy filter. They asked me to rename the http proxy dll to stop it from loading presumably as well as replacing the xml file. (Both operations have to be done in safe mode.) Rebooted and now the patching works again. Just reinstalling the game from scratch, probably unnecessary, but might as well use the opportunity to lower the directory size.

Anyhow, get on to Bitdefender to ask them for the alternate update_components.xml and instructions. The engineer who emailed me said they would roll it out in an automatic patch soon, but this was an interim workaround.