Blizzard Has Killed Arena in WOTLK

With their recent changes, Blizzard has completely disincentivized playing any bracket apart from the 2v2 bracket in WOTLK.

Mounts, titles and the best PvP gear being available from the 2v2 bracket leaves no reason for players to ever play 3v3 or 5v5.

“When we originally stopped awarding titles and achievements for 2v2s, it was because 2v2 was difficult to balance. Nowadays, rather than try to make all classes equally capable in all brackets, we want to preserve the existing class balance and celebrate the unique play style for the classes that perform well in each bracket.”

2v2 is not a balanced bracket, it is a bracket which heavily favours specific classes - which is why titles were originally removed from 2v2. With the newest changes, blizzard is removing any reason for players to aim high in the 3v3 and 5v5 bracket.

Why implement a change that nobody asked for?

8 Likes

They do a lot of thing no one asks.

I sounds like „we removed them from 2vs2 cause we weren’t able to reach balance back in 2008, now we just don’t give a duck, eat this and enjoy 2vs2 against wars, pals, dk“.

1 Like

I get that those things are very important. But NO other reason? You can’t think of a single other reason for people to play arenas?

I always thought 5v5 had the least skill involved.

2 Likes

Somewhat correct. The reason they picked 3v3 as the “balanced” PvP bracket and left the rest just for fun was because they were delusional and thought arena actually had a shot to be an “esport”. It would have been impossible to keep multiple brackets balanced, and as it turned out, it was also impossible to have a game with PvP and PvE while both are balanced.

Also, why are we pretending that every class/spec has an equal chance in 3v3 but not 2v2? It’s the same thing, a few comps will outperfrom the rest.

Minmaxers‘ time has come. Check and mate for those who say pick whatever you want, don’t think about minmaxing :clown_face:
Imagine making people pick class and spec just for 2vs2

How is that any different from people picking class/specs just for 3v3?

Class and comp variety is significantly increased in the 3v3 bracket

I asked for it

Blizzard is killing everything on Wotlk.
It’s not Wotlk Classic it’s Wotlk Reforged.

And guess what happened to Warcraft III Reforged

2 Likes

when caster reach 30%+ baseline haste in ICC, 2v2 will be the best bracket for healer+melee.

I can’t stress enough how unfun ICC era PVP was for me, as a rogue, first time around. I spent my entire game hiding behind a pilar and then stunning someone when they over-extender.

Other than TSG, there’s basically no viable melee comps in the top brackets. This 2v2 is excellent because it allows people to play PVP however they want, without arbitrary rules dictating whether they are given a title or not

Full agreement.

Let 2v2 give titles in S5 and S6, but for the love of god don’t ruin the entire expansion by making 2v2, the most boring and unbalanced bracket, the only relevant bracket for all seasons.

If 2v2 gives Gladiator, when balancing for it was intentionally and officially ended after S6, 3v3 will be completely dead.

S7 and S8 was all about 3v3 - WotLK Classic is no longer anything like WotLK arena. It is some weird 2v2-fetish “reforged” expansion.

Titles/mounts/shoulders in wotlk was removed at season 8, on previous seasons it was there. So its reasonable 2 hold it on classic, cz it was like that on 3/4 of expansions.

And what the problem ? Play “true”/“competetive” 3s and get ur title/mount easyer with less competition, cz most people gonna play “casual”/“unbalanced”/"whatever more’ 2s

1 Like

The problem is that people get the same reward for easier content, in addition to also harming 3s as why would you do the hard content when you get the same reward for the easy content

So go on get ur glad title easy way if the there no problemo. Play what u want, for me 5s glads mostly was “who the hell those guys” never saw most of them on 2s/3s, no reason 2 cry for like omg they can get 10 titles per team.

The problem is it’s not fun to get it the easy way? XD

Why is it easier? The relative skill is the same. You’re still having to be in the top 0.5% of players.

If you find 2’s simpler, so do your opoonents. If anything that means individual play needs to be MORE perfect than in 3’s. I’d argue FOTM 3’s comps can overpower people (i’m looking at you beastcleave) and steal gladiator just as easily as people playing 2’s

1 Like

The game is more linear and there is a much lower ceiling to how you can express skill in 2v2. Once you pass a certain threshold games are essentially just rock paper scissors, no matter the skill differential there might be. This can be true to some extent for 3s but not nearly in the same scale, and the skill threshold for this happening is much higher. I’m not saying don’t reward people for 2s but keep the rewards different so there is an incentive to do both

You’re entire premise that the skillcap is lower is false. The skillcap is dictated by the players, which means its the same in 2’s or 3’s.

You have an opinion and you’re trying to justify it - even if your arguments are observably wrong.

Skillcap is determined by the players and their tools. If you have 50% more players in a game it should be fairly obvious that the variance of gameplay (and thus also outplay potential) increases drastically. Furthermore you don’t even have a 2.7 achi why do you pretend you know what you’re talking about

There is a sweetspot between having few players (2v2), which gives linear gameplay, and too many players (5v5), which gives chaotic gameplay. Too few options means there’s little to do and skill is wasted, too many options makes games feel like rng. 3v3 hits that sweetspot where games are complicated enough to express skill without having so much excess power that you can just die on a whim like in 5v5