Blizzard & Twitch Team Up To Censor Gamers

I don’t know…The code of conduct seems similar to how real life works, you know? I mean, I’ve yet to receive a long list of words that I should steer clear of because society doesn’t condone them in real life.
Some common sense is usually all that is needed to know what’s acceptable to say and what’s clearly not – in just about any setting.

And if people are confused as to whether they can say a certain thing in twitch chat or not, then just don’t. Simple! Err toward caution and be respectful, that’s hardly something that should get anyone’s knickers in a twist.

9 Likes

I’m terrible with youtube vids. I really can’t be bothered to listen to some biased presentation of something. I prefer to read things in written form and just try to pick out the facts.

2 Likes

You don’t seem to really grasp that with limitations these limitations are only limited to the blizzard streams not any others from what have been explained making this mad paradox portal on which you enter when watching their stream, I don’t look at the chat but I care for those who do and like to comment and have a laugh with others.

Edit: If you’re from the EU / UK you have less rights in terms of social speech than America so it is a problem just not one you’re used too because you have the right of freedom of expression not speech.

1 Like

"I don’t know…The code of conduct seems similar to how real life works, you know? I mean, I’ve yet to receive a long list of words that I should steer clear of because society doesn’t condone them in real life."

This. The old idea of online spaces being non-irl places where everything is permitted and without possible social consequences because “It’s the internet bro” has to go.

Online spaces are part of real life. You are communicating with people, and participating in a social enviroment. Act like it.

12 Likes

I’m cool with that. Blizzard’s content, Blizzard’s rules.

If there’s a discussion to be had, then it’s whether Twitch should allow third-parties to implement their own code of conduct – for their specific streams – that override the general Twitch code of conduct.

Twitch is on board with that, so that’s where we are. It seems silly to fault Blizzard for wanting to monitor their own product in accordance with their own policies.

I’d wager that Twitch are simply trying to accommodate the needs of major broadcasters, who naturally have a desire for more control over their products, rather than leaving it all in the hands of Twitch. As eSport events continue to grow in popularity and become more mainstream and attract more sponsors, this is likely something we’ll see more of.

1 Like

Blizzard could simply turn off chat during the match and let people watch it, if htey are concerned about griefing. Another solution is to actually have mods in the chat who can mute or remove only the disruptive viewers.

Tying your Battle .net account to Twitch is just another way for the company to ban you all together if they do not like what you have to say about not just the esports but almost anything.

How long before this system spreads to other gaming companies? If I were a streamer I would watch out, they will be next.

4 Likes

Pretty much this and any and all forms of abusive language.

I’m still one of Devolore’s moderators on Twitch from his time when he did a lot of live streams and before he joined Blizzard.

So you are very much correct that such things would be removed regardless.

Edit : The code of conduct I can’t imagine Twitch is that different to Blizzard.
Twitch have pretty close ties to important channels to ensure things are done correctly.
They also have an image to protect and a business to run so working along side Blizzard on an Esports element makes sense.

ESports also has to step up and make it a clean environment to make sure there is a future for it.

2 Likes

People get offended so easily these days by some random words which come from a random guy who lives miles away ,probably on his mom’s basement.

You are talkin about eSports that it must be clean environment.
When there are teams, there will be hate between rivals and opposite teams.

What do you mean by '‘make it clean environment’ ?

7 Likes

Well as relatively free from abusive language as possible. That’s what I mean by clean.

ESports is a fledgling right now, it honestly wouldn’t take much to ruin it, they need good press they need exposure but they need good exposure, sure there will be drama between teams…That’s good where rivalries are talked about and discussed and shared.

But hatred? that’s going to far and your in the realm of idiotic UK football fans chanting in the streets for some overpaid player kicking a bag of air around some grass.

I’ve never hated a rival at anything I’ve done. hate is a very strong word and thrown around too easily.

3 Likes

So you are trying to compare irl hooligans with some trollers on twitch tv?
Is this a seriously argument?

Im greek , we have tons of hooligan ‘‘accidents’’ nearly every week.
Situation is fcked up as it comes to football clubs and ultras supporters.

I belong in such a team as well tbh .
But i will never attack another fan from an eSport team simply because eSports will never become as interractive as real life Sports.

Just let us have the option to have at least some legit flamewars in the channels

4 Likes

There is nothing wrong with banter/rivarly between supporters but you have to remember wow is a 12+ game so being abusive and swearing/ranting shouldnt happen people are meant to be adults after all .

1 Like

it wasn’t even meant to be a worthwhile debating point.

sounds like fun… yeah…

People ask me all the time why I don’t care for football…It’s not the sport I don’t care for, it’s the hooligan fans…Or it could be the players falling on the floor when a slight gust of wind blows by and they clutch at their knee no back no shin no…

E Sports doesn’t need that kind of exposure…it wouldn’t do it any favours, as to random flame wars in chat streams…Well if the can do it cleanly then go for it, there will be filters anyway and mods will just ban anything that goes beyond that.

It’s a point where online abusive behavior and foul language detract more than they contribute.

3 Likes

Twitch mods?

Sir / lady (I cant understand behind that plate armor if you are man or woman)

If you ever saw a twitch mod doing his/her job, please let me know.
Imo these guys are like god . A lot are talkin of them but neither have seen them

2 Likes

Mods on Twitch are assigned by the channel owner, Not Twitch themselves who have their own mods for something else.

Yea i know that .
But even this argument doesnt change the fact that twitch chat is steamrolling by the speed of light mostly from offensive/troll posts and admins are sleeping.

There is also a spam phrase , at least in CSGO tournamets im watching (mostly)
ME ORC ME SPAM NO MODS NO BAN (Meanwhile in the spaces an orc head)

I kinda like it actually tbh , sometimes its actually funny, looks like kindergarden era.

2 Likes

Think this is whole issue is a bit overblown.
Harsher moderation doesn’t mean that all negativity is purged instantly, I just see this as trying to “combat” unnecessary spam/copypasta.

1 Like

Put on your hazmet suites

That comment falls short as football matches are for all ages and if it goes off between rivals there you have more to worry about then some stranger piercing your non existent skin with insults as old as the internet or even as history itself, people are offended so easily and to infentile to grasp the concept of an insult, if you’re insulted then the job is done, it has successfully fulfilled its intention, so called adults you lot turned out to be, pathetic.

Oh booohoo people grow tired of those pathetic
Identity politics so they’re ‘weightless and overused buzzwords here’

Since you are to dumbfounded to understand the part where bfv was supposed to be historically accurate… i cant recall pink haired cyborg girl fighting against germans in ww2

Or that people want to stick to the og in ghostbusters rather to have some poorly written characters replace them because people want to insert their infentile identity politics that have proven to be counter productive is there given right…

Now i will gladly receive your vain and pretentious lamentations so i can indulge myself in laughter and smug arrogance…

4 Likes

But a WW1 soldier equipped with a Hellriegel and a red dot was so very “historically accurate”.
Or a modern American soldier who’s standard loadout includes an AEK-971.
Oh Please.
‘Historical accuracy’ or ‘authenticity’ is just about the worst angle you can have on the whole BFV debacle, so please don’t.

4 Likes

Ah yes but we aren’t talking about battlefield one nor my angle, these were the most mentioned complaints made by the customer.

The way how EA reacted to this with the dont like it dont buy approach followed by standard rhetoric of calling your consumers -standard buzzword package #4-… the proverb ‘go woke go broke’ exists for a reason.

You would make a fine employee at EA.

1 Like