Blizzard was right with forced personal loot

As everyone else, I was very much against this new loot system that came gradually and became mandatory everywhere in BFA.

Unfortunately, Classic made me realize how wrong I was. Unfortunately, people are more greedy and more toxic since 2004.

Now, people are greedy whether it’s Classic or BFA, but at least in BFA with personal loot, people are angry at the system, and not each other. Guilds and bands of friends won’t fight against each other, but rather rage against Blizzard, because if something is an upgrade, “sorry, the system won’t let me give it to you”.

Now, I guess you can say that, if such a group / guild disbands because of this, they deserve it. Maybe. It’s a dilemma whether Blizzard should cater to a small number of reasonable adults who can play all by themselves with their rules and no issues, or a wider group which includes… people less compatible with that.

44 Likes

Its a double edged sword tbh. Both systems has its pros and flaws.

ML:
:+1: Fair loot distribution. Guilds can gear up so the whole team benefits not just 1 person.
:+1: Possible to funnel gear to people who need it the most. Real personal experience: My mage is running around with 441(445 max) gear. And M EP only 1-2 bosses can maybe give me an upgrade now. While a fellow guildy and friend->Still can’t get 1 bis loot piece from 1st boss and he attended pretty much every raid. Simply. Bad.RNG.Luck.
:+1: Possible to reward loot based on performance,attendance,attidude. Thus can be an extra motivator to “be good”.
:-1: Open for abuse. “Loot prio goes to the GM, his GF, and officers first”.
:-1: Possible drama. I personally didn’t agree to every decision the loot council did. (Of course didnt start a big drama either).
:-1: If you are a trial. Then no loot for you until your trialship ends in 2-3 weeks.

PL
:+1: No drama. Your loot. Do what you want with it.
:+1: Everyone has a fair “chance” at loot. Be it a “veteran raider” or “new trial”.
:+1: Less guild drama. People can’t get angry at RNG for giving person A stuff instead of person B. People can get angry at loot councils though.
:-1: Too much emphasis on “I” instead of “team”. The team benefits little if only 1-2 people get all the loot all the time.
:-1: Restrictions to trade away un-needed loot. You can’t give a trinket which is useless to you but its a guildy’s BIS. Because trinket is +5 ilevel than your max ilevel trinkets.
:-1: Very rng based. If you are “disliked” buy RNG gods. Then you are just screwed. Guildies may not be able to help cause of point started above.

In my view. We simply exchanged 1 system with pros and flaws to another. It depends on personal taste on who likes which system more.

12 Likes

The drawbacks of personal loot don’t disappear just because they’re forced by Blizzard instead of the players.

There is no dilemma. Blizzard has plenty of ways to do master looting with less room for abuse in PUGs if that’s what they’re concerned about.

3 Likes

I personaly dont feel like those two are positives. Well first one is a positive, but its other way around since it imo started more drama especialy in pugs or even in guild where u have to gave up loot u have in your bags or get molested in pugs with “do you need” spam and then on forums :rofl: .
Second point …i dont think in a guild enviroment that ppl who sits whole progress on banch because they are bad or they show up once pee month on raids abd then have to jump in for two pulls because Tony has his house on fire, boss die and that person get 455 with a gem which cannot trade because he doesnt raid that much and doesnt have ilvl to be able to trade it…next week same thing hes on banch or not present at all and that insane item that would be huge boost for core team is wasted…imo

1 Like

Personal loot is the best. It has no drawbacks. You can still share loot in dungeons if needed.

Dunno how it goes with raids tho. But as someone who has experienced both. This is the superior one.

10 Likes

Except for all the loot you can’t trade because of arbitrary restrictions.

3 Likes

Hence. I also noted the “possitive”

Also understand from a trial perspective. A guy shows up 3 weeks, for every raid. Brings his own food,flasks,pots and any other consumables(like any trial should, no complaint here).
And…after 2nd week(1 more week to go trialship).
*Sry. We will give this bis trinket to an officer’s alt because YOU IZ DIRTY TRIAL!"
Not many guilds managed to properly balance between “trial” and “unpaid workforce, ready to be exploited to the max”.

5 Likes

My only objection to the change was and is that it removed choice. Guilds and raid groups should have the freedom to decide which system they use, and people who join these guilds and groups can choose whether or not the loot system used is acceptable to them.

Having these options to choose from was superior to both the vanilla systems and the current PL-only system. I don’t understand why so many people struggle with there being choices.

2 Likes

Well thats reasonable but thats a scumbag move. And i dont think those very rare examples should determine whole system for everybody. There always going to be some ninjalooters or just aholes, but thats from my pov just a very very small minority.

Meh, point one and three here are practically the same. Did you really try to make it look like PL has multiple flaws too :stuck_out_tongue: ?

Anyways, 1 fix for all three at once: Loosen up the restrictions in certain groups (f.e. 80% guild groups).

If I see such a thing like “Loot Council” in guild description I never join that guild.

Personal loot is better than old system. I can still share my duplicates if I want to.

3 Likes

I’ve not had anyone ninja loot yet. In fact the Fiery War Axe dropped in my last Ulda run and we all agreed to pass on it so the warr could have it to equip. Our warr was a man of honor and did equip it.
Don’t let the actions of a few idiots change your opinions on something.

1 Like

PL would feel better if I could block bosses. After getting some useless crap from raid boss 1 the chance to get something from boss 2 is very low.
On my Spriest alt with a 425 staff in my 2 EP normal runs I got a 1h weapon and an off hand from the first boss. Both items were useless for me and more or less every other item in the whole raid would have been an upgrade, but atleast now I don’t have to tell the 6 guys whispering me that I can’t trade them next time.
Atleast it’s profitable for leather classes when very often half of the raid are druids and DHs

Works in raids too. Personal loot is the best and the simplest solution. Any other system opens up loot griefing.

6 Likes

Yes, from a libertarian principle I was always for “guilds should have the option of whatever loot system they want, and let the free market decide what kind of guilds form - if they are exploitative, people leave”.

But now I started to see the argument that, sometimes the market isn’t big/efficient enough that all “mature” people gravitate toward the same system they agree with, so more choice inherently causes more drama possibilities. Is it worth having this choice when there is a risk of , at worst, the guild disbanding, friendships ruined?

I truly wonder what the data is on this. I know people tend to dislike BFA’s personal loot, but did guild cohesion get better as a result?

6 Likes

u dont raid with guild,u are doing only lfr…
so sorry but your opinion is meaningless because it didnt affect u in most ways.
Imagine that those of us who raids with guild rly liked master loot and benefits it brings to us which allowed us to redistribute loot faster and it was much better feeling when u were getting item from highest roll ;p

1 Like

As I said, my relevant experience is from a fixed team with friends in classic. Same dynamic, except less people. But kinda worse when disagreement over crap in the game causes IRL arguments.

2 Likes

I ran full raidfinder and HC EP and 6 M+ in the last 2 days. Didn’t get any “personal” loot at all. Haha)) And lucky coin gave me azerite power! :smile:

Said that when it was introduced:
if you’re in a guild racing for world first, master loot is better;
personal loot is better for any other case scenarios.

It nullifies any form of drama and fights, and regulates automatically loot on rng and disables toxicity by creating a state of “that’s how it is” instead of giving powers to individuals, which will always have impact on a given community.

People whining for ML had 99% of the time no reason to do so.

3 Likes

Only neckbeards defend Master Looter for pugs / casual raiding guilds. Only guilds such as Method should have Master Looter available to them because they actually need it for the race.

2 Likes