BM Hunter vs all other ranged

If you play a spec just because of it’s dmg that’s on you .
I personally like the rotation the abilities , utility for the group , personals .
I mained bm in legion and his super simplicity it’s annoying not to mention the pet get’s bugged in the floor in some content .

True!
I got confused between white and blue spacegoat.

They have the GDI Ion cannon racial instead.

1 Like

That is exactly it. For solo content Hunter and Warlock because of tanking pets.

I was misunderstood: when I said “why would anyone pick any ranged class over BM Hunter” I meant “pick a class to play/main” - did not mean, “pick a player for M+ or raid”.

Have you played the latest? Have you been to the beta forums? They have really screwed up both classes and it was a very late change too.

Fully agreed. More complicated talents, classes, specs, abilities : the harder it is to play the more DPS it ought to be making. But because everyone is entitled Blizzard cannot knowingly do that. This imbalance (justified or not) only happens when they cannot get the numbers right.

They seem to “balance” DPS by nerfing CDs and spell costs, rather by adjusting the numbers. Crazy!

yes. this is why i mained bm and detro lately… and shammy ofc that with the elemental is almost INVINCIBLE (for 30 secs)

I think that is partly because how the spec worked back then.

Basically the better you were at managing your void form duration, the stronger your upcoming voidform become. This left you with the issue that:

1. The spec needed a lot of haste. It was one of the specs that got hurt a lot by not having enough haste, way more than other classed and specs.
  2. It caused a large DPS difference between those who know how to play around this ramping mechanic, and those who do not, either due to lack of knowledge, or because of lack of stats. Blizzard does not like it when such a level of difference is created, hence why they tend to adjust specs to avoid this issue (see Feral druids back during Legion).

It is an unfortunate side-effect of trying to combat exclusion within the community.

My main BM hunter is also an engineer…she also has those sexy portals! :wink:

Lots of people just dont like faffing about with pets though, also I do think it seems boring for some.
BM hunter is my absolute all time favourite class (which is why I have one of every race at lvl50-60!).
It is just the best class for solo content and def one of the best for farming old content. Masses of utility spells, can DPS on the go (I hate having to break casts all the time to move in raids like you have to with other ranged DPS!). Plus having a tank with you at all times is great.

Shout out to the warlocks though. My second favourite class!

1 Like

To play or to invite to a group? I assumed you meant to play, but some others seem to think differently, and it’s true that your question isn’t entirely clear.

If I’m going to play hunter, I prefer MM. It has similar utility to BM and similar mobility (only one ‘stand still and cast’ ability) and doesn’t have downtime while you wait for energy regen (you can just press steady shot, including while you’re moving). I also don’t like specs where you have to maintain a buff very much, especially when the buff is maintained by an ability that isn’t spammable.

If I’m going to play ranged, however, I would generally choose my demo lock. Despite its disadvantages (can’t drop aggro, misdirect, trap, etc), it has a fun factor that - for me - hunter lacks.

Well technically, your pet is melee. When your pet dies you become pretty much useless compared to MM hunter or a mage.

Dentathrius fight in castle nathria, the melee deal with the casters on the floor and ranged dealt with the ones on the pillars. BM hunters had to basically be in the melee group for that because their pet couldn’t reach the adds on pillars.

I dislike people poo-pooing on BM because they think that ‘more simple’ is somehow bad.

BM is the best spec in the game. Hands down. As far as I’m concerned.

wait, your pet can die?!! :open_mouth:

did they add this with the new talent builds?
:smirk:

There is no problem with that. Not everyone likes playing classes or specs that are considered more complicated.

OP was just presenting his post in a way that made others think they are portraying the spec to be superior to the others.

That usually prompts responses like that because of the simple nature of the spec.

And I think it IS superior. I personally don’t care if it’s superior in DPS, but for me it is by far the most fun, most engaging, most immersive spec in the whole game.

I get that not everyone agrees with that of course. :blush:

You mean Barbed Shot trying to maintain 3 stacks?

I also play Demo, because I always found Destro/Affliction AoE to be clunky. Even with Demo, I have to spam Shadow Bolt, which is crazy when I am staring at 10 mobs. But BM is so much smoother I can’t find a fault other than pet positioning/management but these are fringe cases.

Fringe case.

Dethrone Lock?

No, no… deathborne lock?

Wait… it’s definitely dreadlord lock!!

Yes. What else did you think I meant?

I rarely press Shadow Bolt. Between Soul Conduit refunding shards and Demonic Core procs, I’m mostly alternating between instant cast Demonbolt and Hand of Gul’dan. I wouldn’t say BM is clunky as such, but I certainly find Demo smoother.

Exactly, also,having other specs, beside DPS makes lofe much easier if you have to wait long queues or mix things a bit. Personally, I always pick healing/support role in every game and it’s the same in WoW. Mage as mage is always good option as an alt (at least for me and my playstyle), but I stick with classes with healing spec. I mained druid in Classic, and last year I started to play retail and made a shaman (mostly because I was Alliance and I couldn’t play Shaman), and since then I play it most of my time. I tried other healers too but aome fits to me more, some less. The only healer class I didn’t try is Monk but that’s because I am very bad in melee zone I would rather stay on the distance. But in DF Monk should be able to play range, so I will definitely give it a try. Already made a Panda Monk (obviously) and reserved the name :slight_smile:

1 Like

mage in general is an lot more viable then hunters, brings infinite roots, db for aoe stop, has lust, blink, alter time, greater invis, double lust the list is almost endless

Not everyone wants to play an 3 button caster without an castbar

1 Like

I just cant with mage…its the only class I have never leveled to max.

Everyone has their favourite classes though, mage is just the one class that I really cant stand the playstyle of!
sorry! :wink:

unlucky for you indeed mate, fire mage is by far the most fluent and imo the most engaging spec in the entire game come dragonflight, frost mage still hardstuck same 3 buttons likewise for arcane with arcane surge as their new big button but in general timewarping twice for torghast levels off haste during your cooldowns feels good

1 Like