Boosting needs to go

Blizzard really needs to issue some cease and desist letters.

This game is becoming unplayable for casuals because of boosting.

It is impossible to pug keys above 21/22 because of the sheer amount of boosted players that got +20 boosts for their vault gear.

The sheer number of players who don’t know what to interrupt, when to use stops or even basic mechanics in the 21-22 range is too damn high. I’m basically averaging a 1 in 5 timed rate if I’m lucky with the pug roulette.

It’s so obvious what happens here. Timmy plays fury war or hunter but can’t get an invite because 30% of people in this game play war or hunter. Timmy is faced with a problem, he needs rating and gear to get invited to groups. Timmy has an idea, Timmy makes 50K a year, has no other hobbies, (or a life) Timmy buys all +20 boosts a few weeks to get some vault gear because clearly it’s the gear holding Timmy back and not his lack of knowledge of dungeon trash and boss mechanics. Timmy now has 418 ilvl and all 20s timed. Timmy now gets into +21/+22 keys. But Timmy has no clue what he’s doing, Timmy thinks his only job is to do mad dps and look at Details, Timmy doesn’t realise if he misses an interrupt or a mechanic the whole group dies and the key is bricked.

So the non boosted players now wasted 4 hours to time one key because of all the Timmy’s in LFG.

Timmy will be happier if there are no boosts in this game. Because he then will actually do what we pay a sub for, learn to play the game and make friends along the way.

Please ban boosts, I’ve played most major games and I’ve never seen such a rampart boosting community as what we have in WoW.

Why is Blizzard allowing this?

18 Likes

Oxymoron.

M+ mechanics and overall philosophy are builld around progression - the higher the key, the less casual friendly it is. But the problem is, 20 keys these days are done easily due to the overgeared folks (many players are now 415ilvl and higher), that’s why lots of them don’t even know the routes. Boosting in your example has nothing to do with poor casuals (myself included) not being able to play (actually, I’ve heard this phrase so many times recently that I get nauseous when I just look at it now).

12 Likes

I have boosted people since vanilla… I wish it was as easy to do nowadays as it was back then, tho. :confused:

Casuals being unable to play is not an issue of boosting - but an issue of ego… People just do not want to learn, or get actively offended when asked to learn (In an informative manner, not rude).
People just do not SEEK OUT help either like they did ages ago, like one of the first things I did in this game in vanilla was look at people who seemed to know what they were doing and asked them for help - person to person.
Now people, at most, go to guides and then dismiss human contact for help.

8 Likes

My man I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt because english is not your first language.

I did not say casuals can’t play because they are bad, I said because if you don’t have a dedicated group then pushing keys above 21 is basically playing Russian roulette and praying you don’t get a boosted player in your group.

I’m a casual. There is nothing derogatory in my statement. I have less achievements points then you, I have no achievements to brag about, never got cutting edge, never got above 2100 in PvP. I don’t do anything apart from M+, and I play 5-6 hours a week max, although in the last 4 weeks I’ve probably played for less than 1 hour since I’ve lost interest in the game as pugging and not getting a boosted player in a high key is virtually impossible.

So my friend, I was not saying casuals are bad. I was saying, if you want to play this game casually, as in, log in for 1 or 2 hours after work and time a key, it’s impossible because there are so many boosters in this game, and because of how hard it is for DPS players to get invites, the chances of one of the three DPS players in your group being boosted at the 20 range, are incredibly high.

So people like me who play legitimately and learned all the mechanics in the +9/10 range, simply just quit M+ because if a Warrior/Rogue/Hunter/DH doesn’t know what to interrupt when joining a +21, then I can only assume they are boosted, and when that happens 20 times across the span of a couple of weeks, making me and other people waste hours and hours with nothing to show for it, it’s easier to just quit.

But this would never happen if Blizzard banned boosters and people actually had to learn the game rather than buying a 3 for 4 +20 timed offer a couple of weeks in a row.

5 Likes

Spare me of your patronizing speeches, please. I didn’t say that being a casual is a bad thing, I called out your weak attempt to put the blame for your misfortunes on other people.

“So many boosters” in the game? The majority of casuals with timed 20+, have done it themselves due to overgearing, not because they are ready to pay for being carried by more experienced players. The reason you are not able to play “for 1 or 2 hours after work” is not because someone is selling keys, but because the entire m+ system, that requires casuals to complete higher keys (higher than they can manage), is flawed.

Also,…

…is not about pugging. You either have a pre-made group (or are a part of an M+ community) or “1 hour of chill gaming” becomes your doom.

Also-also,…

…has nothing to do with 20+ keys, which are mostly about routes, pulls and interrupts, which you canNOT learn in 9-10 keys. They are simply different and demand you to learn anew once you start a higher key.

7 Likes

This is quite nice to show how many/few actually go higher

2 Likes

Because boosting for gold is allowed, and i know there are more boosting ways. Still there is nothing wrong with boosting. Maybe a +20 is not for a casual player m/ solo player.

I’m not disagreeing that I’d prefer boosting to be gone, but you’re making up stuff to fit your conclusion.

More likely scenario: Timmy and the tank and the other 2 dps all mashed interrupt on the first ability and didn’t have it for the next one since its a pug and communicating is hard.

You’ve now woven it into a narrative that somehow makes it seem like 50k is a lot of money (thanks for that insight into your psyche!) while being a complete patronizing bellend to a person whose English is better than mine.

And yes, higher keys fail more. More news as it breaks.

8 Likes

Boosting is common because of crappy design of M+ system. And you pointed it out already.

Exactly this. Imagine Timmy is a decent player, actually knows all the mechanics and do them properly 90% percent of the time. And the situation will be the same for him. It’s not a matter of Timmy’s skill at all. It’s just usual stupid deadlock: for getting into a group you need gear and rating, but for getting gear and rating you need a group. And currently there are only two reliable options of breaking it: play with friends/guild or buy a boost.

I just made it to KSM and will never go further. But I know how it is to be a non-meta DPS and spend 2 hours sitting in Valdrakken and apply to numerous groups in GroupFinder just for 1 invite, getting rejected 99% of the time. Or waiting even more for a tank to join your group, if you host your own key. In this situation you start thinking about spending cost of 1 lunch to boost more and more often.

I don’t think that sitting and applying for groups for 2 hours could be considered as “learning to play” and “being happy”. Exactly the opposite, now the boosted Timmy finally can get invites and start learning, instead of sitting and doing nothing.

Banning boosting is just fighting the symptom which will never be a success. At least now Blizzard makes money out of it via tokens. If they forbid it, people will boost anyway. There is no way to determine, if groups of people running M+ together because they are friends in real life/discord community, or one of them paid others via PayPal. The true solution is to revamp M+ system completely in way, when boosting is not needed anymore. But we all know Blizzard in current state is not capable of that.

6 Likes

I dont need 500 seperate friends on my bnet launcher to play this game and I dont need to sit in town asking for people to do certain keys.

3 Likes

Please no, I don’t want to have to pay for my game time :cry:

Is it? Prove to me that it’s not simply a case of 1 of the 3 DPS being carried by the group to high ranks.

tell me you know nothing about the law without telling me you know nothing about the law

there’s no reason for good players to pug keys, that’s why pugging is so annoying rn. blizz should figure it out and either make it a pre-made only content or add some incentives to lure good players from pre made groups to pugs

The design of M+ is just too bad. The most part of ppl wanting to push play meta class for being invite on key.
The other part have to push their own key with meta class. And even when you make premade group, they will leave and return in PUG when your key are not interessting.

The state of the game is really worrying. Even if Blizzard try to balance class, people want only play with few of them because meta blabla.

That’s exactly what I’m saying.

It’s extremely time consuming to pug 21/22 keys because there almost always is a boosted DPS in a group of 5.

Another solution maybe could be, Blizzard makes M+ harder around the 10-17 range so that DD players can actually learn mechanics instead of brute forcing their way to 20s through uncapped valor and boosting.

For example, a tank would never get past 15s without knowing routes, when to use defensives, how to position mobs etc. A healer would never get past a 16+ tyrannical healing check on 2nd boss at NO, 2nd boss Hov, most of RLP, etc. But DD can just brute force their way to +20s with uncapped valor and a boost here or there on tougher keys and then get to 20s without knowing a single interrupt mechanic or stop.

It was the same problem in Shadowlands S4, just bring 2 survival hunters and a warlock, no need to do mechanics kek, but the difference is know in DF M+ is much more unforgivable and groups just get disbanded because one of the three timmy’s is boosted and doesn’t know when to use their stops.

Nope, your original post is about boosting. I said most M+ pugs can make up for a bad player who will still get the rating and gear. Those failers you meet aren’t necessarily buyers, they just got lucky with groups.

Groups will always start to outgear M+ by mid season. Buffs, gear, nerfs to dungeons etc… eventually you can fail more and even carry a bad healer or DPS. It’s just how PVE works. But this is a completely different issue from boosting.

You cannot carry a bad player through a 22. Maybe you can carry someone who is doing <70% less DPS than they should be but you can’t carry them if they don’t know basic mechanics, like which mobs to interrupt or if they have to do something specific in a boss fight because most of the mechanics one shot at that level. In Fortified weeks they ain’t getting through the trash and in Tyrannical weeks, bosses have so much health that they take 4-7 minutes on average, so if you have someone that repeatedly fails a mechanic then eventually the whole group wipes.

This is my biggest problem with boosting. Because people think that they can get the gear and now look at me I do mad dps because I watched a youtube guide on rotation or worse I downloaded a rotation bot (VERY VERY COMMON RIGHT NOW, another topic but botting right now is in a worse state than back in MOP), but what they don’t understand is you can have the gear, you can have the IO, you can have the DPS ,but if you don’t know what to interrupt or what mechanics to avoid, YOU ARE BRICKING THE KEY.

1 Like

It’s pretty interesting that people that have all dungeons at 20 make up 5% of the top players.

Yet people that have 2550+ rio make about 10% of the player base ( which probably requires you have atleast 1 +20 key done) since not everyone is going to time all 19s before going to 20s.

This in my opinion confirms that about half of the players doing keys in the 19-20 region are boosted, which shows.

I joined a boosting community in BFA, and the amount of boosts per minute I kid you not was actually insane.

Blizzard really needs to set up some sort of no boosting server, we have like over 50 servers, just make one a no boosting server, we already are signing a social contract, let us sign another one.

2 Likes

Irrelevant. We’re discussing why they got invited to the 22, not whether they can finish it.

So…you think dead players can be boosted through a 20, but you don’t think a bad player in a strong pug can finish the same dungeon and hence qualify to be invited to higher keys?
Let me re-reiterate:
My only problem with your stance is you’re blaming boosting (which I personally dislike as much as you) but banning it would not reduce the amount of bad apples in your M+ groups.

1 Like