Bring back dungeon corpse runs

In Vanilla dungeon corpse runs served a very important role, they provided some much-needed downtime after a wipe which gave you some time to relax and also talk with the group about what went wrong, which led to more socializing as well and a better atmosphere. In modern WoW as soon as you wipe you’re expected to be back in action within 30 seconds. The fact that we don’t need to eat/drink anymore between pulls makes it even more of a GOGOGOGOGOGO mentality. Ironically, in their attempt to make the game more casual by removing corpse runs Blizzard made it much more stressful for struggling groups. As someone who plays tanks I can say that it’s exhausting.

2 Likes

Yes and no, i dont mind some spirit runs. But if its long like brd in the past its discouraging. besides alot of zone shave so many cliffs in them nowadays it would be a pain to walk trough. and with flying as a ghost it hardly would be a run :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Please God no and certainly not with LFG as it is now.

Back when the teleport to dungeon with LFG was first implemented corpse runs were still a thing but now as well as being a tedious activity you then had to put up with the players who didn’t actually know where the instance entrance was.

9 Likes

So people who have limited time to play and like doing high keys were wipes can happen must put up with long runs ? Can we please stop the classic /retail baiting threads its really boring.
No eating/drinking do you even play wow hello?

8 Likes

This still happens if you do more than LFR and LFG.

Only place where I experience this is M+ because well, it’s timed?

You still need to eat after dying :thinking:

IDK what you consider “made more stressful” but not being forced to waste my time literally running through an instance while being dead doesn’t make the game anymore stressful for me.

5 Likes

Sure, right after we remove the corpse run in WoW Classic. I also want achievements, Demon Hunters, heirlooms and transmogs in vanilla. I don’t see why they shouldn’t be in the game.

Seriously though, let retail stay modern/fresh and let WoW Classic remain as a classic experience. If you prefer slow approach vanilla can offer, then play vanilla. We who have less time to play games and prefer faster gameplay, can stay away from Classic and play retail.

7 Likes

I think corpse runs have their place for raids, except for LFR. I agree with the OP that they provide some downtime for the group to discuss what went wrong and how to do better, before getting too excited to try again.

However, for timed dungeons (e.g. Mythic+), this is clearly not going to work well. I’d be okay with limiting corpse runs to only a few game modes.

In Heart of Fear in MoP until the 4th boss you always had to run from the entrace. It was just stupid, especially with the huge insect as 3rd boss.
It’s much easier to discuss strategies when you can actually see boss rooms and set marks. And sometimes whipes happen because of bad rng, or someone made a mistake (like Varimathras HC in Antorus), where you don’t really have to discuss much. Not to forget that without voice chat it’s hard to discuss anything while running.

This is true. I’d like to see corpse running not be so great as that if it were to ever return.

Perhaps, but sometimes that downtime doesn’t have to be about discussing strategies, but rather a chance to just socialize a little before getting your head back in the game.

The idea to cool things down is sound…

But it wouldn’t work with the current pool of people playing this game…
90+% of people would insta-leave the dungeon group after one wipe…

To prevent that the deserter debuff would have to be like 4 hours or something…

1 Like

They adjusted that away for good reasons. Let classic be classic and retail be retail, thanks.

3 Likes

To waste time, that’s the only roll it served.

Fixed that for you.

Altered it to be more realistic.

Because I don’t want to waste 5 minutes waiting for you to get back to your keyboard, my time is not yours to waste, only my own.

If you can’t stand the heat, stop standing in the fire.

2 Likes

M+ is fundamentally incompatible with most of the core systems of WoW. It needs to die in a fire. Not that I am NOT saying that hard dungeons need to die in a fire - I am specifically talking about M+.

No thanks. Keep classic stuff on classic

5 Likes

It’s the -dolf guy, how does everyone always fall for his bull :poop:?

1 Like

oh definitely.

Just make sure that everytime you die, you have to spend 20 minutes walking back. That sure won’t make people leave after a wipe.

Dude. Wake up. It’s 2019. The old 2005 gaming community’s gone. People are much worse than ever. the old stuff won’t work anymore. The only reason people tolerate it in classic right now, is that they agreed to experience a full packaged old school deal. otherwise, you would have seen a lot of complaints about it.

5 Likes

M+ is a core feature of the game and it doesn’t need to compatible with other systems, it’s like saying that Arena needs to be compatible with Battlegrounds, they are two different environments with different rules it makes sense for them to be incompatible.

if you dislike M+ that’s fine but you probably want to find a better argument, preferably one that makes sense.

EDIT: Just saw you replied to Daestra so edited my post accordingly.

How much more restarted should game be so you would have a tiny chance to socialize with random dude?

I rather have CM’s back tbh but that’s just me .

It’s all of them at once. Note, once again, I am not having a go at the notion of hard dungeons. I want hard dungeons. Alright, here goes:

Firstly, the M+ has become completely dominated by AoE classes, and any attempt to slow that down feels really bad because of the timer. So AoE melee classes are just dominating the whole thing at higher levels of play.

Competitive PvE isn’t particularly exciting to watch, because there is no interaction between the team. It’s basically like watching competitive Tetris except it’s much more convoluted.

M+ is probably the most imbalanced WoW has ever been in anything, and the viewership is low to match.

The corpse-running is a natural part of World of Warcraft, but because of the rush gameplay of M+, having to corpse-run would basically the destroy the run instantly, and that’s no good.

The weeks vary wildly in difficulty, to the point where we have a pull this week that, on M+ 20, would require 150k HPS, and the mobs are not CC’able. The dungeon is thus not doable. This happens because the dungeon cannot be tuned properly, as hundreds of combinations of it exists.

Dungeons cannot be sprawling and exploratory. M+ outright demands that everyone goes for the quickest route. There is no room for anything else. This means no quests and no alternative routes and no bonus bosses for the week that you’re eager to do. The dungeons become flat and dull as a result.

The dungeons overstay their welcome and the mobs grow powerful to the point where immersion breaks. An NPC praying to G’huun is officially more powerful than G’huun - even the Mythic version - in terms of stats and damage output. I’m also tired of looking for Azerite and getting a facefull.

The keystone system determines what dungeons you can run. Dead keys is a common problem, because you get to run the dungeon that requires 150k HPS, for example. The whole notion that Blizzard decides where you have to go, as opposed you exploring and making your own way through Azeroth, is fundamentally at odds with World of Warcraft’s open world nature.

This amplifies the already random nature of loot. While most bosses in the game drops a few pieces of a total loot table of some 30 odd items, M+ has that amount of items per boss, and drops only 1, meaning it’s one of 120 items that drops at the end, and on top of that there’s Titanforging, and this is compounded by your key. Basically, you don’t get to have any say whatsoever as to what items you seek at all. Blizzard just puts your loot acquisition on rails.

Nevertheless, getting a good baseline of gear from M+ is hilariously easy, to the point where it entirely displaces Heroic progression runs. You can outgear Heroic the same week it comes out, basically.

Not having lockouts is perfectly fine provided the gear isn’t this good, but it is, so it’s a problem.

The weekly chest is an abomination. Thousands of items plus all the previously mentioned RNG (Titanforges, sockets, etc) plus the fact that it resets weekly and is the only place you get decent items past a few weeks into the season makes for a toxic stew of total and utter cancer for every game mode.

Most players choose to do a +10, which is by far the most easily acquired gear in World of Warcraft. Unfortunately, once you have the +10, there is precious little reason to keep running M+ past the first few weeks of a season.

It encourages summoning one another, but phasing often makes it impossible. This, however, can be solved by moving the summoning stones inside the instance.

If I really wrack my brain I’m sure I can come up with more, but I think I’ve made my point.

3 Likes