Bring back mage tower appearances

I, like many others, worked very hard to acquire those appearances. I did the tank challenge on every tank class except demon hunter. I also did all of the other challenge scenarios across multiple characters. They were great fun, but a lot of time and effort. I don’t think they should just give them out for free, or even bring them back via the mage tower. They were a reward for being with the game at that time and putting the effort in.

I really want the druid challenge mode appearance, but I didn’t play enough at the time to get them. I accept that. Those who put the effort in at the time are rewarded, those who didn’t, aren’t. Seems fair to me.

3 Likes

Yes, the Devs said multiple times leading up to, during and after the mage tower appearances that they were a time limited challenge. They shouldn’t be brought back as even a limited drop chance reward.

Now, if they do another version of werebear that looks different enough that it’s clear it’s not the mage tower version to help differentiate from those that have the original and those that don’t, much like how the legion class hall sets were like crap versions of the challenge mode gear, then sure. Make werebear smaller, give it a wonky eye and a gammy leg to show it’s not the real deal.

2 Likes

I actually dont like this artifact forms at all, no some of them looks nice but i dont rly like the concept that all bears are looking same, so we are loosing some unusual details of race forms.

And new players who have only started playing during BfA? How were they ‘snoozing’?

That said, I don’t think mage tower appearances should be brought back. I missed them because I wasn’t playing druid during Legion, and I’d particularly like to be able to get the balance skin because that’s what I play mostly now, but I did play during Legion and I didn’t get it then, so fair enough.

What I would like to see are new skins to work towards. That would give new players and players (like me) who are new to the class, some fun appearance goals.

9 Likes

Because they didn’t play during Legion, why do they deserve another chance at something they were not even there for to begin with ?

That I can agree with.

2 Likes

I agree that it shouldn’t be brought back. I said that. But the notion that new players, who hadn’t discovered WoW at that point, were ‘snoozing’ is absurd. We need new players. There is always going to be a natural drop off in the current player base, and we need new blood to replace them. Basically saying to new players, “You didn’t get it because you were too lazy,” isn’t going to give them a good impression of the game and its players or encourage them to stick around.

7 Likes

We do, but that does not mean they should just get things because they are new players, some things should stay unique, as you and me both agree on, this is one of them, it does nothing to improve DPS, or anything gameplay related. They don’t need it to be good.

2 Likes

Back in legion I didnt bother with doing them all, I did the ones I liked the look of on classes I played. Now in BFA i play other classes/specs I didn’t before and I don’t have them for some of those specs.

Back in MOP i only unlocked druid, priest and paladin i think for CM sets and I regret not doing monk and shaman.

But I don’t think that it would be ok to being back time limited (that was announced by blizzard) rewards just to get them.

For players who could have done it back then, its a shame but its tough luck they didnt either manage it or didnt try. There was plenty of oppotunity for those who took a break to come back towards the end of the time limitation to benefit from all the gear catch up that made it easy and you would have also had other content to enjoy.

For new players, they didnt start to play because of those skins most likely.

It isnt as though CM sets and mage tower skins are the only things players have missed out on.

Tier 3 also became unobtainable, however at the time it is unlikely they had started the idea of transmog. Tier 3 was added to the BMAH for ppl to compete for with gold and resulted in a good gold sink. (Though adding wow token probably voided this sink eventually as more players took up farming gold >_>).

I think if blizzard ever adds anything back it could be on the BMAH. but in reality the mage tower skins and CM sets were so easily available and the time limitation known i still would not agree with it, but I wouldnt complain about it either.

I’m here with Benediction/Anathema unlocked on my priests and I’m quite happy for that to stay unobtainable 8) but thats for purely selfish reasons xd

Also I see noone brings up the WOD CM weapon transmogs, guess they are just not popular! The polearm is pretty cool though!

1 Like

I like how all of you are saying “I WORKED SO HARD NEW PLAYERS SHOULDN’T BE GIVEN ANY CHANCE TO GET THIS STUFF” and yet most of you did your appearances (according to achievement dates) after antorus came out, which means you most likely outgeared it by at least 30-40 ilvls anyway and had legendary catchup available (which meant getting every legendary for your class in less than a month) rofl.
Unless you’ve done ANY of them when they were supposed to be challenging (late nighthold, early tos) you aren’t really in position to say that you worked hard to get it. Because you didn’t.

22 Likes

Soz cool dude.

1 Like

Gatekeeping in 2020. Y I k e s.

2 Likes

I PlAyEd YoU DiDn’T F YoU.
This kind of stuff puts me away from coming back to Destiny 2, I can’t get old seasonal titles because I haven’t played back in time (I left it right after release because it was a boring mess with no content at all). This kind of stuff puts away people from WoW because they aren’t even given a chance.
Also, I noticed that you’ve done yours shortly before BfA came out. Had fun steamrolling the challenges and getting stuff literally for free?

15 Likes

As it should be, those are SEASONAL titles. Not Always-Up-Titles.

Hah, yea, Even though I was in World quest gear with no legendaries there but, you do you boo, and yes, I did have fun, very fun, because I have the forms.

3 Likes

I got mine before Antorus came out. Am I cool like you, or do I still not meet your arbitrary cut off date for coolness?

Mage tower was challenging even if you overgeared it. Especially the tank ones, where all gear did was make it a bit quicker, but certainly not easier. Gear didn’t beat the mechanics, playing well did. Usually refined over countless tries and hours of effort.

So whether someone did them before or after the random date you pulled out of your backside to make yourself sound pr0 1337, they still did them WHEN THEY WERE CURRENT and within the time allowed.

If people wanted them so badly, they should have played to get them. If they didn’t, then they’re just going to have to accept they can’t have them and move on.

6 Likes

Well, I’d like to have WoW movie tie-in shield transmog. And Tyrael’s charger. It sucks I can’t get them because I wasn’t playing back then.

But I have all the Druid and Paladin Mage Tower stuff. And it’s extremely satisfying to have that dangly flail and that werebear form. I won’t lie to you, part of why it’s so satisfying is knowing that it is now unobtainable. It’s a badge of honor and accomplishment. It says ‘I was there, I’ve been playing for at least this long, I know my stuff’. If everyone could have it, that would reduce how much I prize them and rob me of part of the emotional connection I have with it.

In some way, having the Mage Tower stuff makes me care a bit less about the shield and the charger. Some people have them. Some people, like me, don’t. But i have other cool, limited stuff to call my own. That’s kind of the point of a long running mmorpeger, over time you amass fun, unique stuff. Every expansion has something that you could only get then and there and it is made all the more fun and unique by virtue of its limited quality.

So yeah, it sucks you can’t have the appearance. It sucks I can’t have the shield and the charger. It sucks if you can’t have a special thing. But sometimes that’s exactly what makes it special. Instead of just sitting there stewing in how sucky it is, figure out what’s The Thing that you can get right niw that people will wish they have two years from now. Finding The Thing to work towards is a huge part of playing mmorpegers that’s made all the more awesome by things eventually becoming unobtainable.

For me, The Thing right now is the Brutosaur. Not only is it unique, not only does it have a great QoL feature tied to it, but it’s also going to be that badge of honor that shouts ‘I was there, I made 5 million in Battle of Deflation, I know my stuff’. And I’m sure there will be people that tell me I just bought it with Legion or WoD mission table gold, just like Pandiu is trying to lessen my Mage Tower achievement by claiming that I somehow didn’t do it right. But part of the limited things’ charm is that I will always remember getting it. I will always remember having to figure out how Feral Druid works to do the Imp Mother. I will always remember how hard I was clenching my buttcheeks on that last tanking stage. I will remember my friends and guildies because I was chatting with them about it. I will remember being so excited about the flail I told Trade Chat about how dangly it was when I finally got it. I will remember that I was poor as a mouse coming into BfA and I had to farm up 5mil gold starting fron 30k. No gatekeeping douche can take the memories away and those memories are a huge part of playing a mmorpeger over the years. And I wouldn’t make those unforgettable memories about any old thing that you can still get two or five expansions later by just swooping in on your titanforged ilvl 2000 corrupted shadowforged instantly teleporting jetpack.

3 Likes

Sure bring them back never understood why blizzard removes stuff just for sake of removing. I probably still would not do the tower as it is kind of content i have zero interest in. Tried it once and it was enough for me.

17 Likes

because it was something special the moment they were live.
and nothing you could faceroll 2 years later.

i’m still mad that they made Herold of the Titans available after Wotlk was done.
You could faceroll him with 5 players on 80 aftter Wotlk.

1 Like

wow-freakz.com/img/screenshots/wowhead_226589.jpg

mb they can do something like this with werebaer? Give cry babys an ugly recolor for a mage tower 2.0 that is basically for free but everybody with the real deal can still show off in their shiny white hulk bear. Only to ride (as a druid) on their amani warbear to the next trash pack. With their fancy Hand of A’Dal Title…
Maybe I sould stop talking from my perspective :speak_no_evil:
Honestly: I wont get challanger stuff on my druid and you wont get mage tower stuff. And both is for the better.

2 Likes

Don’t worry, give it time.

They could simply get the appearances back without unlocking the achievement. That’s proof of having unlocked those appearances, there is the date of obtaining.

I acquired some for my characters, but due to a short time to devote to the game, I was unable to get all those that interested me most.

So, in one way or another, sooner or later, whether you like or not, they will make them available. As for everyone it was impossible for the classic version of wow to return, time will also come for the old appearances now removed from the game.

Maybe buying them from the store, do you know how much money they would make? :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag:

So, remember: give it time. :wink:

See you on the frontline!

5 Likes

I say that time gated non sense like that while may seem nice is detrimental the same way grinding rep for allied races is for new players.
The best option would be not to remove stuff from the game but leave it in and the challenge. Those are marks of challenge in the end, not a sticker for “doing the time”. What are in jail or something?!

Bring it back i say, let people work for it as we did and let more people enjoy it, not just those appearance horders who in the end of the day do not come back to their bank or appearance tab and drool over all those appearances that they earned , but were left unused.

13 Likes