Building Azeroth: Northrend

Building Azeroth: Northrend

Grab your parka and gloves and prepare for an adventurous return to the frozen tundra of Northrend in this episode of Building Azeroth.

View Full Article

4 Likes

No thanks I prefer warmer climates.

2 Likes

Less PR videos and more info about the release date. Thx

4 Likes

I like northrend, I like wotlk, but as it stands I dont get a wotlk version even close to the original. I want to have an experience close to the original, not its a mix between vanilla and retail, with most wotlk-defining features removed or altered.

I know suggestions are useless because you know what players want. Oh wait, history has shown time and time again that you dont. Blizzard should make a representative survey for once, so they get input besides their few twitter replies that they read.

3 Likes

Northrend is a frozen junkyard.

Glorious Pandaria is way better.

2 Likes

Once batching was killed nochanges was killed.

Be careful what you wish for.

Pre-patch soon? :slight_smile:

I am not interested in your vision of WotLK

7 Likes

The first thing I remember seeing in classic vanilla beta was retail raid frames. There was never a consistency of changes. On the one hand Blizzard says they want the game “rough around the edges” like recreating spellbatching and then add retail system/interface elements to have more convenience. They just did what they want from the start.

Yeah yeah I played WOTLK the first time and it’s great, but lets not rush it out too fast, we went from 2022 to people talking about August, I’d like the Summer to be long behind us before I’m playing WOTLK so I can role-play being cold as if I were in Northrend.

True give us launch version of Fury Warrior before they nerfed it, so that Fury can be playable before T9.

So very much this. To the point that with all the changes you’re making I’ve started to think I’ll just skip your version of it and find myself the original (or as close to as possible) version of it elsewhere.

Your changes to wotlk itself, but also along with the fact that you actually removed a post i made on your warcraft twitter. Not in any way abusive or even unpolite. Simply pointing you to the first answer here Group Finder Improvements in Wrath Classic - #4 by Yoken-tarren-mill, and the fact that all the likes it has recieved might point to the fact that you Blizzard are dead wrong here.

2 Likes

But that is not what you want, you want RDF from the start. That is basicly as far from an original Wrath experience you can get.

5 Likes

Theres a big difference in an interface change, which everyone can individualize via addons and a core gameplay mechanic that persisted way beyond wotlk and has significant balance and feel implications for the game.

One doesnt really change the game itself, in the way it functions and works, the other does.

Edit: once the door for actual gamechanging changes was kicked in, everything was and is up to debate. Thats why more changes that directly affect the game world and gameplay have been introduced.

I agree there is a difference between an interface change and a game mechanic. I think an interface change is comparable to the quest helper, if its made optional in the interface. Most play the game with the function (questie) already, similar to other interface changes.

If you want an example for game mechanics changes in vanilla classic, I would count layering as a non classic feature, that changes core gameplay by making layer hopping possible or not being able to meet/see players at the same location.

1 Like

I agree to a certain degree. I personally was never a fan of layering, even tho it is a better solution than phasing, which they wanted to go with first.

The difference is, as so often, in the detail. Layering was born out of a population problem, given the circumstances.

Removing batching, on the other hand, was only made as a change to the game, because a group of people didn’t like the feel of the original game or were used to retail.

The underlying motivation and justifcation for each change is inherently different. As is their impact on further changes.

That change is nothing but laughable honestly. Almost everyone is using it via questie and those who don’t doesn’t have to turn the function on.

Jeesus Blizz what the **** are you doing???

1 Like

Not as far as having no RDF at all. Your strawman argument doesnt become any better with time. Yes, many players would prefer RDF at the beginning, but most would be fine with the original timeline and have RDF in 3.3.0, if Blizzard actually confirmed this. The main issue is that Blizzard only announced there is no RDF at all. And RDF was part of the expansion, it was designed with the expansion in mind and to fix existing issues within the expansion. Since its a fix, its also the reason many players prefer to have it earlier. Its what most players experienced and remember about the expansion, since it was there for a whole year before cataclysm launched. Saying it was the “last patch, end of expansion” is simply misleading and not staying true to the fact, it was part of the expansion for a whole year.
All these players would be happy to hear that RDF, as part of wotlk, will be released in wotlk. Everything else, like having it earlier, is secondary.

3 Likes

A Blizz-made problem by not opening enough realms and not giving more fast enough! They should have kept to Vanilla realm size all along not all this layering or sharding or whatever it’s all so Un-Classic as can be … much worse than RDF for the social aspect. Actually if something should carry the blame for the not very social behaviour in Classic then this!

But you can’t NOT have it if it’s a part of the UI: It was not possible in Wrath after 3.3.0 to have it look like it does now.
You people using those things happily have no idea of just HOW integrated they are.
Jeez yesterday a guy told me I could remove the 100% Xp buff from SoM if I did not like it … of course you can’t!

Hard to say, might aswell have been designed with Cataclysm preperations in mind. Not like they wait with the end of one expansion to start planning and creating the other - Right? So as far as we know (which isnt much) it could have been added as a test or preperation for a game design that was on its way.

It came really late and was never a sell argument for WOTLK, nore did WOTLK need it to grow/keep people.

To compare it with Classic, it would be like saying that the Chronoboon was a core feature for Classic with Classic in mind. It wasnt, it came way to late for that.