Can someone tell me how this grapgics card will perform?

Hello, im not very computer savvy when it comes to the components, i asked my wife for a graphics card for Christmas and a relative reccomended Asus dual geforce rtx 2060 oc edition, as it would be the best for my system.

Could anyome tell me of this is capable of running WoW retail/wotlk on max settings smoothly?

2 Likes

Yes and it depends.

MAX settings enable settings that does next to nothing for your visuals while tanking your performance.
Like Raytracing hits hard but I can not see any difference in the game.

Max settings are also gonna enable settings that rely on CPU performance and you are probably gonna be limited by your CPU rather than graphics card in WoW.

A 2060 will handle WoW without issues, but you might wanna tweak your settings a little to turn down settings that are limited by your cpu and that uses a lot of gpu without actually giving a better image in gameplay.

Unfortunately WoW is poorly optimised so in certain areas and activities you simply cant get better performance, you will notice that it doesn’t fully utilize your gpu or cpu.

What specs are your computer running atm?

Personally I’d buy something that performs a bit more but this depends on your budget. You might want to check out the 30-series or wait until the 40 series are fully out and hope for the 30 series being a bit cheaper.

Depends on resolution for retail and how much FPS you want. There’s only a few places in WoW which makes your GPU usage go to max.

WoW is mostly CPU bound either way.

It will definitely run wotlk on max settings.

Hello man

Depends on ur resolution of monitor and refresh rate

For example the GPU u said its 2 generations old

2060 at 1080P (Full HD) will give wow a smooth run on 60 fps cap-Good settings combined with high

I would actualy recomend atleast a 3060- u can find it at good prices. 40% improvement over 2060; better textures lighting effects and a smooth 1080p run at all high settings.

For 2k resolution capped at 60fps

Radeon 6700xt sapphire nitro
Best buy 3060ti- this worls well with higher refresh rate monitor at 2k also.

Depends on your setup and monitor.

But, i highly recomend atleast a 3060 over 2060.

You”ll thank me later

Gluck man!

1 Like

you absolutely do not need a 30 series card for WoW.

I play with a 2060 on my laptop before and had always 100+ fps and most graphic settings on high.
Pretty sure WoW is not heavy on gpu anyways?
I also play on my desktop pc with a 3080 and I do not really notice any difference whatsoever

4 Likes

I think before people start making suggestions the least we should know is what the OP’s current system is and what the budget for the card will be. That being said, the 2060 should work perfectly well with WoW.

5 Likes

I assume you are budget limited and are recommended a second hand card. You don’t have to take that risk just to get a cheap card nowadays, look at the heavily discounted previous generation cards instead.

A clear recommendation is AMD Radeon RX 6600 or 6600 XT, which are solid and power-efficient budget cards and cheaper than RTX 3060.

1 Like

I literally have this dilemma because I can get them for similar money. I’d take rx 6600 for a change, I’ve never used their gpus, but I’m a bit put off by the stories about problematic drivers (if they’re true at all lol). I wouldn’t like to deal with that. As for cpu ryzen r5 3600 or pay extra for 5600x, will there be any significant difference in wow?

Also, will there be any difference between 2666 mhz ram and 3200 or 3600 (16 bg)? I know sometimes you can tell the difference, but I’m not sure about that in wow.

The drivers are as stable as the Nvidia ones, so those issues are ghosts of the past.

Higher speed is always better, but for WoW there wont be much of a difference. Remember to make sure the desired RAM speed is set in the BIOS though, as they have a tendency to set to the lowest default.

1 Like

Although WoW tends to be CPU-bound, R5 3600 shouldn’t be a problem. However, it would certainly be worth upgrading to 5600X or 5800X3D if you use the computer to more demanding applications.

Eh, you say that wow tends to be cpu bound but ram doesn’t matter :face_with_monocle:

Faster ram = more efficient use of cpu.

When it comes to performance of ram, clock speed is deceptive.
3200mhz cl16 is pretty much the same as 3600mhz cl18, therefore you want ram with best mhz to cl ratio.

3 Likes

For potato build components everything matters. However, WoW isn’t that picky and runs well on the couple previous generations mid-range specs. That’s all we need to declare in regards to the inquiry.

As for considering which of each components are best in regards to a variety of workloads and what specifications are preferable to different scenarios, it is a topic that is not as easily digestible for less tech-savvy people.

1 Like

5600x will make wonders vs 3600.

Its like 60% more powerfull and stable

No question there

To add; its well worth the 5600x for wow, but ifnubhave older rami

Tkse a dual channel at 3200mhz cl16 or cl17-18 at 3600mhz

Will wonders in wow vs a 3600

I’m thinking between 2 computers:

1. MB rog strix b450f II, rx 6600, r5 3600, 16 gb 3600 mhz ram, 500 gb ssd.

2. MB b550m pro, rtx 3060, r5 5600x, 16 gb 2666 mhz ram, 240 gb ssd.

Both are the same price (€750). I would prefer to make it myself, but here it won’t be cheaper, but maybe only more expensive.

Are those prebuilds? If so, then option 2 is what I would recommend.

If building myself, I would go with a simple, but not too cheap B450. Read reviews and make sure you consider that these boards might not include a Wifi chip. As for CPU for a new build, you should definitely go higher than R5 3600. Don’t skimp on the CPU as there are other components that are far easier to upgrade when you can afford better components. Go 5600X.

Now, as for RAM and SSD, go 16GB 2666 MHZ and 240 GB SSD if you are budget-restrained as those can easily be upgraded later. If you can afford it, a decent 3600 MHZ RAM and 500 GB SSD is better. Read reviews, and be wary of the cheapest products with this category. The cheapest products can technically meet the spec they are advertising without actually giving the expected performance.

As for RX 6600(XT) versus RTX 3060, they are both solid lower mid-range GPUs. Pick the cheapest option.

Theres a lot of truth in what both Furyeclipser and Skadefryden have said. I personally went for a cheap build a couple of years ago due to budget constraints, heres my build…

MB - Aorus x570 elite
CPU- Ryzen 5 3600
Cooler - Arctic Freezer34 esports
RAM - 16GB 3200mhz CL16
GPU - Gigabyte gtx1660 super
Storage - 500gb nvme for windows and WoW, 2tb hdd for everything else and 1tb ssd as a backup drive

Not top end, but plays WoW without any issue

I am currently running the 2060 and its been fine for me with exceptions to epic bg and ground aoe prior to the prepatch. But thats was also mainly due to the fact that I am running on a bit of an outdate 4 core cpu. I will be honest since the pre-patch so far I have experienced no issues and playing on beta was a dream. I think you will be fine with that graphics card if your budget is limited. If you can afford it have a look at the GTX 3040 or 3050 cards and decide if your budget allows for either one of those.

Like you I am not tech savvy - but I have learnt that your processor and memory may also play a big part in performance. (long gone are the days when WoW was not hardware hungry). So look at the minimum specs to run DF.

Second one 3060 5600x