Can we already rid of rune of power?

But you’re stood still to cast anyway. Rune has no negative effects on your gameplay if you’re gonna be stood still casting regardless

We’re not playing DH. ADADADAD isn’t a DPS increase. We have to root to do damage

1 Like

Are you sure it isn’t? Because circling around mythic Gul’dan when he was below 30% health seemed to improve my performance quite a bit. :thinking:

Yeeeeees but I can shimmer away from stuff and remain immobile during a spellcast. If I play rune, such an approach will not work.

Sorry I didn’t realise we were living in the past. Every issue with rune can be fixed by just not playing like an ape. Don’t drop rune 2s before a mechanic that will make you move :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Except the isssue that it’s incredibly boring to use. Mages, especially fire, are supposed to be the mobile casters of wow. If I wanted to stand still in one spot I would be playing a warlock.

6 Likes

This, and the fact that every single aspect of the game, from dungeons to raids and pvp becomes more and more fast paced, where you can’t just stand still for more than 5-8 seconds, unless you risk your hp and give extra, unnecessary job to the healer(s).

This is one of the most important reasons, why arcane is trash. It’s a remnant of the past, where micromanagement of a class/spec was more important (like spell ranks, mana management - not only at arcane -, hunter arrows, pets etc.) and encounters required far less attention and precision.

1 Like

That whole row of talents is so bad, but tbh, mage talents are… wtf… revamp them already there is either no real choice, or useless, or should be straight in the spellbook.

4 Likes

I like rune of power

1 Like

You don’t really have any idea about what’s your talking do you?

1 Like

Incanters flow is a choice even though it is definately more boring. It’s not the meta and it’s currently a dps lose because the current fire meta is built around combustion.

Try playing a crit haste pyroclasm build with IF, its ST is probably close to BM build. Especially if you get some crit% on blightbourne and swirling sands and stacking corruption crit.

Don’t play a talent if you hate it, find a way not to play it.

In 9.0 this super combustion build will be gone anyway. Judging on 8.0 clasm build will be back and in 8.0 is was much less reliant on rop, something like a 1% difference on my sims I think.

20 sec pulltimer is not skill, but playing the fight always thinking 20 seconds ahead to font at the right time does take some skill, depending on the fight. On a straight blast sure it doesn’t matter, but on both hivemind, vexiona, drest’agath, il’gynoth, carapace and N’zoth where you don’t combust on CD, you gotta plan it.

Also it’s not just a cast sequence, else you could macro it as such, but if you do that you lose damage. Execution-wise it’s probably some of the most skill intensive in the game, requiring by far the most inputs, which all need to be precise, along with decision making at the <0.5s range.

Granted i have only played current fire and EP fire, so i don’t know about cata, but having looked it up, it does not seem even remotely close to as skillfull as a good fire mage now.

Which wouldn’t really mean much for it given that BM is even more focused around cleave dmg. And I’m not sure about now but back in 8.2 I played around with the pyroclasm build and most people still used rop with it.

Thing is that I don’t enjoy Pyroclasm as well ^^. I find the current BM to play the best right now, just think that it would feel better without rune. That whole row is honestly pretty boring, as many of our talents currently are, and it doesn’t look like they will be changing much about it in 9.0

1 Like

I don’t remember you can cast arcane blast while moving. Also, arcane is the least intuitive of all 3 specs. I understand you can learn all the tactics and rotation timers to match them with raid encounters, and you can build your M+ runs around cd-s (as well as with fire), but out of this part of the game, when something random and unexpected happens, arcane is not really flexible to handle such situation.

You are a glass cannon, yes, but that design is heavily punished in today’s fast paced encounters, while a BM can do 100% damage with 100% movement. That’s why it’s outdated.

1 Like

Every caster is outdated then, because you can’t really do damage when moving with either of them.

Many of them can gcd step on instant casts. Not an option for arcane who only has arcane barrage on the instant side of things.

3 Likes

Also arcane explo. But idk, arcane has 4 blinks so you don’t really need to move. There aren’t any encounters which require constant movement.

Of course, but when you have to as a caster, it’s the worst time, and it can affect your output heavily. I gave the example of BM hunters, because they are also a ranged spec, but they don’t have any cons of a caster, like push back, cast time, or a need of trickery to be able to move out of things when needed. They also have many utilities so I can’t really see any downside of that spec, maybe the pet bugs sometimes.

So I don’t really understand, how these two types of playstyle can exist in the same gaming environment. One side, you have the traditional spellcaster, glasscannon, on the other side, there is a spec that can do the same output, but requires much less effort to play it. You don’t get rewarded enough as a caster for it’s playstyle, that’s why handling movement better, and getting rid of anything that limits it is so much desired.

4 Likes

I agree with all the criticism put forward in this thread so far. I do not enjoy it the play style it brings - only its power when used optimally. Also, the whole concept of the Rune of Power goes against all high level content of the modern version of the game. Just look at corruption effects! It doesn’t matter if you are talking PvP, Mythic+ or Raiding - constantly moving out of stuff is a core part of the game.

The argument that if you are skilled and managed to pull it off you get rewarded is an argument good on paper - all mage specs using this talent should be superior to BM hunters if used by equally skillful mages. Look at the MDI - no caster specs are practically ever represented there, in part because movement while dpsing is such a big deal. The only time I remember seeing an Arcane Mage in MDI was back in Black Rook Hold due to a stupid cheese mechanic with Spellsteal - and even with such a broken mechanic many MDI teams didn’t even opt for the mage. I don’t think the overall design of WoW is going to change for Shadowlands - so fix casters instead. Making Rune of Power a regular buff (or removing it from the game altogether) is a step in the right direction.

3 Likes

Yeah, this is half of reason I didn’t even bother trying M+ this expansion, the other half is broken spec. Rune of Power should be gone forever together with Overpowered and everything else that does nothing except increasing damage numbers, otherwise it will always be mathematically best option and at the same time the least fun option because this game is not about Patchwerks anymore. Would not be so bad if Arcane kept the Legion design - 3 stacks of Missiles + Slipstream, want to move around a bit then just cast Missiles - but it did not, so it’s extremely frustrating to set huge burst up and have it ruined because gotta move out of fire NOW. Turret style dps are just screwed in this expansion because you have to move every few seconds, so no dps for us because everything has cast time or feels like it has, and at the same time hypermobile types like Havoc have exactly zero problems with moving & doing top damage despite being significantly easier to play. And we’re losing 2 charges of Shimmer in Shadowlands, so I predict Slipstream being the “correct” choice and Arcane still dead spec. Had a bit of hope for getting better ie Legion-like, but after that stunt Blizz pulled with corruptions I no longer trust them to do anything but screw things up whenever they can. Waiting for Classic Wrath :smiley:

2 Likes

Did you know that in M+ as arcane you cast only barrage and explo which are instant? (On bosses obviously not, but on trash you just need these two).

Also there are tons of casters who play m+ and finish high level keys.