Can we already rid of rune of power?

It’d be great to see that spell go. I don’t like it, even if it brings big damage and can be used once you learn the fights. Why’re we still stuck with it?

16 Likes

Because your own personal opinion doesn’t matter.

2 Likes

No-one’s stuck with anything, you can use incanters flow if you want. Yeah, it’s not as good, but nobody is forcing people to use the optimal choice if they dislike the playstyle that comes with it.

5 Likes

I like rune of power ever since it was introduced.

Great risk and good reward.

They even gave it a second charge.

5 Likes

Rune of power is constant of problems for mage class since the begining. Damage multiplier is giving some items exponential growth in power and thus creating weird playstyle which some may notice, at least those who played mage before rop was introduced. Now you have weird synergy between trinket from past tier (ashara), pvp trinket (badge) and mechagon bracers along with blaster master traits helped by rune that form big ignate with powerfull combustion but non existing damage out of it. Also, not to mention that because of exponentional increase, others talents are not an option and not even near damage of rune which is just bad design. Incanter’s is lazy way to band aid the problem but in the latest patch, it seams that even that isn’t working. Fire used to be mobile spec and now you have to have 20 sec pull timer just to press everything that needs to be pressed to start doing damage. Some flatter themselfes calling it skill but it’s far from that. Skill was making big combusts back in cata and then spreading it, now it’s just one big sequence anyone can learn. Just look how many fotm fire mages are there and everyone is playing same build, same setup, same items because nothing else works. Rune cannot be used in questing because it roots you and you can’t pull and kite on the go, it’s pita in m+ when you have to beg for tanks to pull everything so you can do your thing and many more situations like that that I’m lazy to write about. There is mixed opinion in comunity about it, but I guess if it were removed, it would be fast forgoten. I understand people that like it, they’ve never played the class without it and don’t understand that class can be balanced without it.

I play fire for 10 years, even when it was rock bottom, but 8.3 was frost all the way. Just can’t stand lazy design and trivial castsequence. Frost is no better but what can you do.

It’s not risky, it’s not rewarding, just bad design and poor gameplay.

4 Likes

feels horrible to use, i agree. they need to buff Incanter’s Flow

4 Likes

Nah, it’s the part of the same problem. Needs to be adressed properly, not as a band aid fix. Dmg rollercoaster is bad design.

3 Likes

It does matter :slight_smile: because every opinion or criticism has to start somewhere :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I wanted to point out that the OP hate against a talent doesn’t mean that everyone hates it, and Blizz should act on the opinion of one people.

Also I think those talents are perfect. One gives you a big damage boost for a short period of time but requires some positioning, the other gives you less damage but don’t have any drawbacks either. High risk, high reward.

2 Likes

Nope, false statement. Truth is that one is viable and it’s the core of only spec that is fire viable. The other is non existant on the warcraftlogs because of the problem I mentioned earlier.

And also excuse me, I have to repeat. Rop has no risk and no reward, it’s just only option and literaly everyone can play it as we are witnesses.

1 Like

Rework the entire row, none of them are particularly enjoyable to use: -

Rune of Power - fun for the burst but then leads to poor sustained damage, rendered completely inert on high movement fights.
Mirror Image - worthless in comparison to the other options, unless you desperately need a threat drop on top of Ice Block and Invisibility.
Incanter’s Flow - nice idea in theory, impossible to capitalize on in practice, since all Mage specs are proc-based, holding onto a heavy hitter to line it up with the 20% buff will usually end up as a dps loss.
Focus Magic - boring, it’s entirely passive with effectively 100% up-time but can only be used in group content. They’d be better off changing it to just give 5% crit straight up, none of this proc or teammate nonsense.

Since Mirror Images is baseline in SL, perhaps we could see this row dedicated to amping them up in various ways?

6 Likes

Everyone can play it is not equals with everyone can use it well. Also mages uses Incanter in pvp so it’s not “useless”

2 Likes

Rooting yourself and jumping until unavoidable boss mechanic is not exactly what I would call a skill. You just memorise exact button press and do it, no need to react to different procs, just read online where to position and repeat. You’ve must have seen that picture chart of fire rotation, no exceptions. But, if it makes it easier for you, call it “skill”, I don’t mind. Me, personaly would like to see unpredictable procs and situations, new situations and chance for me to react to it. We had that back in cata, but that was a long time ago.

Real situation is that there are lot of people that don’t like it, some compromise could be made, question is what kind.

P.S. Incanter in pvp is “take it or leave it” option.

1 Like

How do you feel about late WotLK fire?

1 Like

Haven’t played back then personally, so I cannot really tell you much. The first time I played a fire mage was late HfC.

1 Like

There’s a skill to it, you have to time it. You drop your rop before the mechanics drop poo on you or your getting dragged away then rip rop lol. Double on use messed that up to be fair.

Its not a dead row at all. IF is used in pvp, visions and was even used in m+ on some affixes in earlier seasons.

Come 9.0 IF will be even more competitive give that combustion is losing so much power, meteor will be dead and Arcane power is changing to a 3min cd.

In 8.0 it wad very competitive too, it’s just the clusterfck of gear and bonuses that have made combustion so powerful.

Also play frost if you don’t like rop. Frost isn’t well represented right now but can still do a ton of dmg.

Try Ele shammie

Rune of power being a ground effect is literally 0 problem. You can’t DPS running around like a headless chicken anyway because you can’t cast. If you’re playing properly you’re rooted to the floor non stop casting. The radius of standing on your rune is like 3x as big as the actual rune anyway so you can still micro move to dodge things. The “I wanna run around in circles” argument literally doesn’t exist if you’re playing correctly. Rune is not that bad.

You can do so during execute phase or during combustion, since all the stuff you’re using is either instant or castable while moving.

I cannot shimmer out of stuff, though. :frowning:

Just because you can run around during execute doesn’t mean you need do. I’m sure you can find 30s to stand still every 2m

The point isn’t whether I can, because I manage to find time to place the rune down if the talent happens to be by far the best in the row and there are no alternatives. It’s just that it’s no fun to have to do so. :frowning: